3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arizona Javelina  (Read 589 times)

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
Arizona Javelina
« on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
I know it is out quite a bit, But a buddy and myself are thinking of a hunt in Arizona, Just starting the planning stages for 2017  anyone have any info they care to share on a good unit to apply for  Any info would be great!! Heck anybody want to join us??
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arizona Javelina
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
I'll be watching this one...
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Depending on when you go in 2017 I would be interested in going.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
I went last year. Ill be watching this.

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
pretty sure the season is in January for archery only.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
There has been aPBS membership hunt down there the past couple of years.  I went this year and took a nice javi.  I don't know if a decision has been made yet for repeating that hunt again in 2017, but it they do it would be a great option for you to hunt a good area with a group of great people.  
Check out the PBS website for a report on this year's hunt.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
I haven't heard any of my archery buddies getting any Javelin yet. They are hunting area 20b. West side of I-17. I just got off of Az. Game and Fish website. They have not put up any numbers or locations of harvests. Look at their website for useful info on hunting them. I always liked area 21 which is East of I-17 to the Verde River. Some pretty rough country along the river but has always been good.
Not sure of Tuson area. Have heard area East towards New Mexico is good but no experience. For the prime areas you should get your app in early for the draw

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Watch out for coyotes, The two legged kind.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
I live in AZ, january 1-20ish is archery season.
its a great time to hunt since its to cold for much snake movment and you wont be sweating your butts off.
I had several close stalks this year in 17b. Just could get that last 5 yards for my perfect shot.
If you plan right you can get a unit with both open archery javilina and deer. AZ has all of January open for deer in lots of units.
if you have any questions i will try to help you out just send me a message.
i will say though most people avoid the more southern units,down by Tuscon. way to many illegals and drug runners for most comfort.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
Just read the hunt details on PBS website ... sounds like the boys had a good time. It was a wet and cold first part of January this year in AZ. It can get darn cold here at the higher elevations. Congrats Joe on your Javi.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
I hunted 34a last year. It was unbelievable beautiful. I saw coues deer all day every day but never laid eyes on a javelina. I drove there from Atlanta and it was such a fantastic trip that Ill be going back next january. I will be bringing a spotting scope this time FOR SURE. We only had 10x binos before and I think that had us at a disadvantage. Im going back to the same place and Im going to be cyber scouting and begging strangers for javy herds!  I want a longbow javelina more than any other critter in North America!

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
That would be a fun hunt. I've never hunted javelinas in Arizona, but I've taken several with my longbow in Texas. They are an absolute blast to hunt.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Those things are amazing.  I have glassed a ridge with good sign for an hour.  Nothing! Then like magic, the sun shined or they turned slightly, wham a dozen appeared.  The cammo they sport is amazing.  They excrete a skunk like odor, so keep your nose in the wind.  The place I used to go is now over run by the runners. So I look for another place
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Those things are amazing.  I have glassed a ridge with good sign for an hour.  Nothing! Then like magic, the sun shined or they turned slightly, wham a dozen appeared.  The cammo they sport is amazing.  They excrete a skunk like odor, so keep your nose in the wind.  The place I used to go is now over run by the runners. So I look for another place
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 10:45:00 PM »
well anyone interested in going I'm sure we can make a plan Be fun to meet some of you all.
"AZ_longbow"   sent ya a message

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
AZ has a lot of tags for javelina, many of the units have leftovers for January. they can be picked up through the mail.and a few units are over the counter tags. the best part is our archery deer is the tags are over the counter and only a few areas must be drawn for. not all the state is open for the hunts but most of the southern half of the state is.
generally the rut is starting the beginning of January. lots of desert mule deer and coues deer share the same areas. not uncommon to see them hitting the same water holes and living in the same ravines. so i always have both tags with me.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
I am a fan of 17b, 20a, 20b, 20c, 21, 22, 24b.
just a few units for you javalina hunters to look over to wet your appetites.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
Anybody regularly hunt 34a?  Id love to pick somebodys brain during the planning for my return next january.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
I'll ask around, but most people I know avoid those border areas. Last guy I knew who hunted there ran across am armed drug running crew. And when he got back to his camp, everything was stolen including his truck.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
We hunted in the central and northern part of the unit. I saw plenty of sign of illegals but never saw one and spoke to a whole bunch of local quail hunters that said they had never had any issues In all the years they had been there. Im sure the areas right on the border in the southern part of the unit are much more dangerous.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©