3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you build out a grip?  (Read 416 times)

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you build out a grip?
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »
I much prefer a high wrist grip.  I picked up a long bow with a very thin low wrist grip.  I'd like to hear what some of you have done to build out a grip?  I'm no bowyer - I'm looking for simple ideas.  Pics would be great.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: How do you build out a grip?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
Can build it out with one or more pieces of leather.  Or Bondo.  File and sand to shape and cover with a leather grip.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
I think there was a thread a long time ago about building out a grip or a shelf with thin layers of leather and CA glue (super glue).

Hopefully someone will remember it or be able to help you go in a different direction.  

If you know someone with a wood shop they would be able to mill/cut a flat spot and add wood...but I'm assuming you're looking for a DIY.

The part I don't want to tell you is that you might look into trading the bow off.  The grip is very important to how well a bow shoots for you and I'd say A LOT of the bows in the classifieds are there just because of the grip.  I know there is no shortage of threads on the forum where a person raves about how nice a bow is or was, but that they just couldn't get used to the grip so it went along to a different owner.
Micah 6:8

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »
I too much prefer a high wrist grip...that does not mean I cannot shoot a bow with a flat grip...give that bow some time before you get too excited about modifying it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Check with the bowyer they could give you tips on doing it or it may not be that expensive for the to do it for you.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
I've had the best luck with wood putty. A shallow layer at a time forms better, and gives you more control. When still soft, it's very moldable; when dry, it can be sanded to smooth and fine tune it.

I built a higher wrist and some palm swell successfully this way. Also used pieces of leather, tape, etc... will certainly make a difference, but it's hard to avoid some lines/lumpiness this way.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
I've had the best luck with wood putty. A shallow layer at a time forms better, and gives you more control. When still soft, it's very moldable; when dry, it can be sanded to smooth and fine tune it.

I built a higher wrist and some palm swell successfully this way. Also used pieces of leather, tape, etc... will certainly make a difference, but it's hard to avoid some lines/lumpiness this way.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
I use the Bondo with Fiberglass in it. let it set until its plastic. wrap with visqueen and then pull the bow and let form to my hand. let it set a bit and then take the visqueen off and with a thin rubber glove on my hand smooth it all out and feel the grip. When hard lightly sand so not edges ect , Tape the perimeters and shoot with a flat black. When completely dry I cover it with a thin leather sewn grip.
God bless, Steve

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Get a different bow. That one isn't made for you.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 08:15:00 PM »
The biggest step is actually touching a nicely done  grip with glue or a rasp. Knowing what you need comes with experience. If you need some added in a spot rubber cement and layers of of thin leather will let you experiment and feel what you need without damaging the original grip. Once you have figured out what you want you can cover it with some sort of wrap. You may have to shape the transitions of leather with a file. This is where titebond or super glue shines. Once either had hardened it's easier to shape.

Don't be afraid to experiment they make more everyday.    :)
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
For those that use the layered leather and rubber cement or super glue - do you put a layer of tape down first so it can be removed without damaging the riser?
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
Tennis racket grip tape works for this very well. You can put the tape vertically where you want to increase the grip then simply wrap the grip to cover up you handy work.

At the very least you will find out if the grip will work for you before you make any modifications that will reduce the re-sale value of your bow.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
J.  Rubber cement will come off the bow without damaging the finish.  May need a little denatured alcohol to remove and clean it up.

Not so with super glue.  Might use it to glue different pieces of leather together, but it will stick tight to the bow's finish and you will likely have to sand it to get it off, very likely sanding into the bow's finish.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©