3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new bow coming soon! arrow suggestions  (Read 436 times)

Offline Mtn Bound

• Trad Bowhunter
new bow coming soon! arrow suggestions
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
hey guys. I am new to the forum.-backstory- My pops cut my teeth on traditional tackle. My teen years went to the "darkside" with wheels, sights, and technology.(the whole 9 yards) Thought that was the way to go. Few years after that I got my first longbow and learned the error of my ways. Changed my whole view of hunting and the outdoors. I have a beautiful 3 pc take down from Mr. Dave or HITMAN Custom Longbows. Should be ready within the next few weeks. I would like some advice on arrow choice. I would love to start making wood arrows right off the bat. But for the sake of durability I think carbons wouldn't be bad. If you could sway me either direction that's be great. Any help, I give all my thanks up front. I"m a young guy and eager to learn. By the way the bow is a 64" 58#@28".    :archer2:
Hitman Pronghorn 58#@28"
**IN THE WORKS**
Hitman 3pc Takedown 56#@28"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new bow coming soon! arrow suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
Welcome!
Contact BigJim he usually has some goldtip traditional blems at lower price than the non blems.
Blems basically just have cosmetic blemishes. He can  tell you what spine you will need. Also invest in field point test kit.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Mtn Bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks a lot. I had some centershots 340s I believe. I think they were a little light for the 58# longbow I had before. But I'm new to arrow tuning and selection for traditional tackle. And I keep reading about the flight and impact of well built wooden arrows. Makes me want them even more researching them.
Hitman Pronghorn 58#@28"
**IN THE WORKS**

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
A welcome from Vermont. You've found a wonderful resource here.
I'll be the first to offer encouragement to shoot wood arrows. I started with wood for a few years ( never made my own back then, and cedar was the standard wood ). Got discouraged breaking them stump shooting, so tried carbons for a year or so, had those made up also.

Never did get a set that flew well for me, and didn't want to invest in an arrow saw for tuning 'em. Plus, they just never felt right. So, went back to wood. After buying a few sets, and getting to shoot some spruce and doug firs, we decided to invest a little in the tools and I started making my own. Haven't looked back since ( that's three or four years ago.

Might take a couple of sets to get the hang of it, but very well worth the effort. I'd suggest getting your first set from a good vendor from among our sponsors to start; maybe a test kit first to get things dialed in... study up a bit, get the basic tools, and enjoy building your own then.

We'll need to know a little more to suggest correct spine: your draw length, what bow you're shooting, what weight points if you have a preference, etc. A good arrowsmith will get you dialed in, or very close to it, when  you talk to him or her about it.

Finally, I'd like to offer my very high recommendation to get a copy of The Traditional Archer's Handbook, by T.J. Conrads. Single best book I've ever read for learning about shooting the trad bow, including some excellent chapters about wood arrows & how to build 'em.

Well I'm getting long winded, and I'll wrap up here. You're on a good path.

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:42:00 AM »
If you wanted to save the arrows you already have you could probably get the spine weak enough with a brass insert and heavy point. This video helped me a lot as far as arrow tuning:

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
Get your form down first, a constant, repeatable shot. otherwise your chasing your tail.
a full test kit of field points that range from 70-300gr the most important tool i have found for tuning arrows, a scale to be sure your in the right arrow weight is another good investment. an arrow saw if you are going to shoot carbons is a must. with those 3 things i can tune my arrows in less than an hour. then of coarse a fetching jig, lots of feathers and glue or fletch tape.
There are some good wood grain carbons out there if you really want the look of wood with your setup.
good luck and enjoy the time and learn all you can.
i am shooting 59# at 29" black widow. a Goldtip  velocity 300spine cut to 31.5" with standard insert and 300gr. fieldpoints/broadheads, and a 1.5" collar. the arrow weighs in at 632 grains total. the same arrow works on my 69# @ 29" bamabows long bow luckily.but does not work an any of the other 6 bows i have set that way. every bow likes something different, just need to see what yours wants to eat.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
You mentioned your bow's weight at 28".  Is that also your draw length?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mtn Bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm sorry everyone. I've been spread thin with shipping companies and paperwotk the past few days. Getting out of the service is quite a pain in the backside these days. Yes I did update my signature. I was shooting a Hitman 1pc longbow. 58#@28. I have a 29" draw. Big Jim has been asking me for info and pointing me the right direction as well. Thanks for the words of encouragement guys,
Hitman Pronghorn 58#@28"
**IN THE WORKS**

Offline Mtn Bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
I have been shooting a lot. 200 plus arows a day. Form  and release are pretty consistent.  Within a Gatorade cap at 27 yds (max range in fenced in yard) It was creepy how fast the pointment and shoot style came back to me after years shooting only compounds.
Hitman Pronghorn 58#@28"
**IN THE WORKS**

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
So you probably will want a 30" arrow, and will be drawing about 61# at your 29" draw length.  I would imagine if you call any of the well known arrow makers on this forum and tell them those specs, they will be able to set you up with wooden arrows.  As far as carbon arrows, a 5575 (.400 spine) with 125 grain point should be close.  Or, if you want a super heavy point for hunting, you could try a 7595 (.340) spine and experiment with point weights of 175 grains and up until you get something that works for you.

As far as wood vs carbon, technically carbon wins hands down.  People shoot wood because they like shooting wood, or else want to shoot in longbow tournaments that require wood.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline HMlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Good news Mtn bound your bow is 80% completed other than being sprayed with Bigjims buffalohide spray.  
I think your wood choice could go to about anybody that makes arrows here on this site.  I like the carbon arrows as they fly true and are easy to tune.  They take a beating and if you foot your arrows with aluminum almost indestructable.  thats my two sense anyways..  I will let you know when completed

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
i agree, beauty goes to wood, durability to carbon. i shoot out in the rocky desert of AZ, i go carbon with an aluminum footer.
test kits, and try them all out.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Mtn Bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
Think i may have to go with the carbons this time. Talked to Mr. Dave and going to try his arrow setup sometime next month. Cant wait to see how heavy arrows fling out of this new bow. Thanks Mr. Dave
Hitman Pronghorn 58#@28"
**IN THE WORKS**

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©