3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1st Annual Boeuf Hog Hunt  (Read 1325 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st Annual Boeuf Hog Hunt
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Pat(pdk), that chili was good! What you didn't notice was all the spoons full that were "tasted" while we were waiting for it to heat up!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
So after our encounter with those 6 hogs we met back at the truck and somebody did get a pig but I will let them tell that story.

That afternoon Joe and I went back to a specific area he located when we were split up that morning that had fresh sign. I'll let him tell that story but here is one picture of a lake slap dab in the middle of the woods that I ended up near. The old sunken boat in the foreground was made out of wood and looked to be a home made boat. The bow is facing me, and the transom is above water behind that. If that old boat could talk....

Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
The Hunt - Sunday Morning

The next morning I just had to go and try something I had been thinking about since I looked at this area on Google earth. We were right next to Horseshoe Lake and there is an island in the middle of the lake. I had brought my kayak just in case and decided I would go check it out. Daniel told me he didn't think it would have hogs but.....

Daniel was right. I was in there a very short time and although the cover was exactly like what we were seeing hogs in I found no sign. I quickly came back across the lake, loaded up the trailer, dropped it off at the camp and drove to the area we had seen the 6 hogs at. I did jump a deer but no more hogs for me.

Horseshoe Lake

Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
Departure

Well, the time had come to pack up and head home but when I got back to camp Darren and Barry were there. I was fixing to get busy packing and this tremendous thought came to me. I looked at Darren and said, "Why don't we close out this hunt with some OREO cookies and some cold milk?"

He was game and we sat around the fire pit and ate almost a whole pack of Oreo's! Man, they were good but not as good as the fellowship for the next hour or so. It is an amazing thing to sit and talk with a brother about the goodness of God and the blessings of this life.

Packed up, said goodbye to everyone only to find out that Marty from Alaska was staying to make an afternoon hunt. What a man!! He said, "My plane doesn't leave Dallas till tomorrow so..." I love it! I think Marty could hunt for a living, I really do. His passion for it is amazing and pure. He seems to have a perspective on hunting that carries with it no preconceived notions about how the hunt will turn out and therefore he is able to truly enjoy all of it. I have been touched by that perspective and hope to emulate it as the years pass on.. God willing.
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
Final Thoughts

I really want to encourage anyone who has thought about hosting a group hunt to do it - no matter how small or large a group gathers. When Daniel took the step of doing this little did he know that I would experience some "first" in my life as a hunter. "First" are big for me. For some reason they have become defining moments in my life... first elk bugle to hear in person... first deer... first salmon in Alaska... first moose sighting...

I wasn't thinking about "first" when I went but there were numerous ones and for that I am grateful. First stalk on a hog on a WMA, first time seeing piglets nurse, first running shot at a hog and first time seeing Beouf WMA, a beautiful area right here in my home state. Also, my very first and second miss ever!!!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

Thanks Daniel and all the rest of the guys on the hunt!! Let's do that again.
Todd Trahan

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
That pig sure does look like he was cooked right!  Sorry I missed it.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
It was on like grey poupon Fred!!
Todd Trahan

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
Sounds like it was a good time!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 09:06:00 AM »
Keep it coming Tod!! I'll be along shortly.
I'm having trouble loading my pics.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
I will add my one pig sighting to the mix, Todd, great story telling, brother.  

As Todd said, we all went to check out the new area saturday morning and several saw pigs, Todd and kip got a shot, we saw a good amount of deer, chased piglets, etc.   Well, that evening, everyone agreed that there was more sign in the new area, so they went back there.  Joe Barron and I decided to walk back through the original block of woods.  I KNOW there are hogs in there, but there definitely aren't the usual amounts.  

I wish you could hear us tell this story because it is much funnier in person, but I will try to still entertain you guys with it.  

One thing that is really awesome about this particular wma is it has some really weird trees.  Randy will hopefully elaborate on some of his findings, but it isn't anything to see a tree leaning a certain way you have never seen before, etc.  Some trees look like something out of a horror movie, some have every limb all pointing straight up,  some make a bench, some are laying completely flat, but still very much alive.  

Joe and I were walking along admiring creation.  Seeing all the different styles of trees, the different grasses, birds, ducks, coons, squirrels, rabbits... it is easy to get lost in the scenery.  Got a little carried away there, but, I do love looking at God's creation.  Back to the story, Joe and I were walking along fully expecting to see some hogs.  I have several locations marked on my gps that could be considered "hot spots".  Joe and I successfully made it through the "hot spots" and saw nothing.  It was around 5 o'clock, as we are creeping through the woods and see something in the distance that looks jet black.  It was weird though, way too big to be a pig.  All the sudden Joe sees it and says, "THAT'S A BEAR!!!"(that was the funny part).  We were staring at it from around 200 yards away and we could both see the rounded butt, the huge body, etc.  Definitely a bear.  So, what do any good southern boys do when seeing a bear?  See how close you can get. LOL!  

We began our stalk.  After around 75 yards or so, the bear has now changed forms.  Joe and I started to say, "that's a bear, that's a hog", and could not decide.  After another 50 yards, we knew it was a hog, and it was a good'n.  

The wind was PERFECT! The hog had his head buried in the freshly rooted soil.  He must have been rooting in a hole.  Throughout our approach, he was always in the same general area, but he did meander around some.  I reiterated some emphasis to Joe on our approach, the only real "safe" time to approach is when he is moving and most preferably, without being able to see his head.   As I had gotten within 50, I began to think this was a real reality.  I could take this pig.  Joe was a few yards behind me for a "back up" shot, should it be needed.  I finally made it to comfortable range for me, and I was sitting there waiting for him to make a mistake.  He was very hard quartering away from me about like ( / ) and the shot was just a hair over 30 yards.  Had i been at 15, I would have taken this shot, no doubt, but i did not want to drill him in the ham and watch him run off with my arrow waving.  I sat there for what seemed like 2 or 3 minutes intently focusing on the hog and trying not to move.  Pretty soon, I hear a grunt and his head turned to check us out.  When he did, I knew it was over, he turned and ran without ever presenting a shot.  Honestly, I am not sure what happened, but isn't that what happens so often with hunting?  

Joe and I tried to pursue the boar but never saw him again.  

Overall, it was probably one of the most fun times I have had hunting.  The camp fires were my favorite part.  10-12 guys all shooting the bull, talking strategies to get on the hogs, etc.  It was fun to say the least!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
Randy (Crittergetter) with is prizes... The pig in Randy's left hand(the black one) is one he kept for himself.  I took the liberty of naming him, Jimmy Dean.  Seems fitting to me!

Randy, Marty, and I.

a little back water..

the camp dog, jethro.  I know Marty and Pat have soft spots for dogs now. lol.  Even though Jethro smelled like a skunk, they still loved on him. Pat has a funny "animal voice" that you should hear. LOL!!!    
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 10:41:00 AM »
this was the freshest wallow of the weekend that I found.  It's hard to tell it, but all the other water holes around were clear, this one is clearly not!

this is what happens to the 40 pounders that don't make it away!  Somethin happened to his back ham while everyone else was away.. I have no idea who did that!     :bigsmyl:  

deboning it all out..

Left overs for lunch yesterday..

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
Great recap Todd and those were the best Oreos ever! And, "The Bear" story made us all laugh. Daniel got more excited than usual and Joe B. even got animated in the retelling (he's a very calm and cool character).

Even though I didn't see any hogs while hunting, I had an awesome time in the attempt. I had the pleasure of working alongside Joe C. and Kip Friday afternoon/evening. Our plan was to spread out, work East to some water, spread out again, then work North, into the wind to a cross road. Joe and I met at the water's edge as we watched a deer run away from us and into the flooded timber.

We waited a bit for Kip, but he didn't show, so we began our trek North. We saw a little sign, some areas better than others but no deer or hogs. We knew a few had been there, we just weren't crossing their paths at the right time.

[/url] [/IMG]

Joe and I made it to the crossroad, worked our way back down toward Kip's 4 wheeler but still no sign of Kip. It was getting dark and we began to worry a bit. We turned on our headlamps, headed into timber and tried to retrace Kip's earlier steps. Thankfully, a little while later we heard him holler back at us and fire up the quad. When we got back to the road and shared our concern with him, Kip looked at us like we had three heads. He had a different understanding of our plan and he executed his understanding perfectly. Joe and I were relieved to be sure, but also felt a bit silly that we didn't make sure we were all on the same page at the outset.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm just glad Darren didn't end up spending a "night in the swamp"! He has been known to disappear for a night!!!

:knothead:    :biglaugh:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I saw the culprit but my lips are sealed.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I know we've mentioned the food, but it cannot be stated strongly enough - WE ATE LIKE KINGS! That fresh hog, smoked in camp, covered in Kip's proprietary seasoning, eaten in chunks while milling around the camp and the fire was incredible. And the only reason Pat's chili may not have gotten all slurped up is because we were eating smoked pig before the chili got hot. I'm a chili snob and Pat's was excellent! I even had a little more for 2nd breakfast after you left Sunday morning.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Funny Wayne! I'm not sure Bret has ever gotten over my impromptu and unannounced night on the mountain.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Like Daniel, I like to do a bit of sightseeing when I'm hunting. I always appreciate the unique ways that flora grows and develops in various terrain and climates. When one drives across the Plain States you can either get bored with the flatness and the relative monochrome nature OR you can look more closely and notice the intricate topographical changes and the life that teams within the small creeks and windbreaks.

In my short time hunting swamps and southern river bottoms, I've noticed a similarity to IA, KS, NE, etc. Everything can look the same until you really slow down and look, intently, at the wonders of Creation. I didn't take many pics this trip because I really was trying to kill a hog or deer. But here are a few things that caught my eye.

[/url] [/IMG]
  [/url] [/IMG]
  [/url] [/IMG]

There were many more and sometimes I like to keep a few in my mind, just for myself.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Daniel, great rendition of the "500 lb. BEAR" you and Joe crept up on!!LOL!! I know that hog would have been in trouble if he would have offered you a shot at 30 yards!

I caught Jethro Sunday morning with a front shoulder blade of that Smoked Hog in his mouth heading off to his house to munch out!!! That dog smelled like I don't know what but he sure made a friend in Marty. I remember at the fire looking over at Marty with his long legs out and there was Jethro laid out on his legs like him and Marty were father and son!!

Here are more pictures of the piglet that became the "chosen one". What a contrast. All these guys out there trying to kill a hog but so caring with a little one. True hunters!

Daniel arriving at the trucks on his 4 wheeler with Jimmie Dean.

Darren taking his turn holding the little guy.

Daniel with Jimmie Dean tucked into his shirt by the fire

Randy trying to get Jimmie Dean to eat a little bread and milk in the tent.

Todd Trahan

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
Saturday was so much fun. As Pat said, he, Marty and I got pinched together by the flood water. Before Marty made it up to us, Pat and I sat on the end of an old blow down that crossed a little creek. We whisper-talked about hunting, his property, plans for some I hope to buy soon and just life in general for 30 minutes or so. It was a great break and an opportunity to get to know each other better.

We were just heading North when Marty strolled up. From that point on, Pat and I both saw some good sign, and Marty eventually found Randy and the others and you can see above they found hogs.

I jumped another deer, almost got an arrow in the air on a monster rabbit and continued seeing good sign.

[/url] [/IMG]

After a quick run back to camp for lunch and plan making, I went back with most of the others to the spot we hunted in the morning. Randy told me about an area he thought might be good and I went in, found a hide a few yards from the water's edge and set up facing the wind. I heard some loud splashing and could see a bunch of deer headed my way. They stopped about 80-100 yds out and took several minutes deciding what to do. Two took off running SW and skirted me at about 60 yds and the others ran straight W and out of sight. Randy said he'd spooked a bunch of ducks and heard something else flush out when the ducks took off - probably the deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©