3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you in the sticks?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Are you in the sticks?
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
No pun intended. But do you live in the sticks and are able to walk out your door to got bowhunting? I did growning up, but we got pushed out of farming for "progress" and eminent domain is a real thing. Too bad we didn't actually own the 1500 acres, it sold for 8 million $. We were like the share croppers of the old south. But I long for those days being able to just literally walk out my front or back door and be in the woods in less than 30 seconds...
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you in the sticks?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
I can walk across the street and hunt in a river bottom where I live now.  I grew up in a place I could hunt outside my back door or across the street.  We used to camp out in the woods behind the house.  It's all grown up back there now with sub-divisions.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »
I live in town...but it's a small town. I have a 2k acre lease 10 minutes away and 160k acres of National Forest in my county and the county south of me, so I don't have to go far to hunt. I'd love to move out of town though even if it was a small place. 10 or 15 acres would be plenty for me to hunt on if I owned it.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
For two falls now I have lived within 50 yards of about 1500 acres of national forest that is archery hunting only...and haven't hunted there yet.  It is severely grown up and needs some management, such as a prescription burn, but its location along side an interstate highway and near a subdivision prevented it from being burned when it should have been. Now it is way too far gone to burn.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »

My back yard!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:00 PM »
I live in town, but own an 80 with a cabin on it 300 miles to the north, surrounded by thousands of acres of public land.  I can walk out the door and be hunting.  One of my better stands is about 200 yards south of the cabin.  

Worked all my life to be able to buy my little piece of paradise.  The drive to it is a bit long, but it's remote (away from people) and I use it every chance I get.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
There is a tree about 300 yards from my back steps I have tradbow killed 19 deer from. Thats just one spot there are several more but that one is best. I killed a big hog and 8 deer from another half that far from the house but that section of swamp got cut out and is now one heck of a bedding thicket.
  I built a new longbow this weekend and walked near a mile loop on a neighbors place I can hunt shooting stumps learning my new hunting partner. RC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Anointed Archer:

My back yard!
yep that's how it was here. now we a 1 million sq ft Amazon warehouse across the road, one interstate, 4 subdivisions and capitol one and philip morris all around me....sad.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
I can change my clothes and hop over the stone wall and be hunting. 60 acres or so that I don't own but have permission. Not the greatest hunting area ,as there are other hunters but I have been fairly successful over the years. Tens of thousands of acres nearby that is state hunting land and is under 45 minutes from my home.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
If you can't pee off the back porch you live too close to town!

I hunt deer and small game in a woodlot 200 yd behind the house.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
It is a very unique thing these days to grow up on a farm or land you can hunt without getting in a car. I just read a report from The Natural Resource Council that we are losing 1 acre of farm land per minute in the U.S., breaks my heart.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
My brothers  farm is 1 mile away and I have killed between 100 and 120 deer within 200 yards of my back porch. I am truly blessed to have hundreds of acres of neighbors land to hunt on while only paying taxes on 2.

:pray:    :pray:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
I could shoot mule deer in my back yard but because of a family tradition of regarding them as pets I will not do that...there is no such tradition for elk though and I fully expect to see one in my yard one day

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
I have been blessed. I can and do walk out the back door and deer hunt. We own 78 acres with about 25 acres of woods and 15 acres of wetlands.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »
I can sit in my back entryway on bad days and shoot a deer when ever I want but that isn't hunting. The first blind is about 100 yards out.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
keep it coming coming..I like to hear this!

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
I have a couple of stands behind the house on 5 1/2 acres. Haven't  killed anything but time there. I have saw a few and passed up shots. Get lots of night time trail cam pics but they rarely make it to my property in the daytime. it is nice to be able to get a quick hunt in if I don't have time to go elsewhere.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
Fortunate to have several hundred acres across the street from my house to hunt.  Have taken many nice deer there over the past 20 years.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
I own 64 acres and walk out the back door to hunt.  About 40 of the acres is currently cropland that I will be gradually reclaiming for habitat and food plots.  Spring will be busy planting trees, shrubs, forbs, prairie grass, and food plots.  

One of my best stands is about 125 yards behind the house and I've been eyeing up a tree with a couple good trails passing by that is less than half that.  Of course there are multiple stands a bit further away.

I know that I am fortunate to have what I do.  But it all started many years ago when we started squirreling away $200 each month toward a down payment.  We had a plan, and eventually we made it happen over a long period of time.  It all worked out better than I could have dreamed.  If you want something bad enough don't wait for it to fall in your lap.  Set goals, and make it happen!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
Yeah. I live so far back we don't get Saturday Night Live until the next Tuesday. I can be in any of my stands in less than 15 minutes  from the doorstep. I got really lucky to have a wife that would let me buy something so far out.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©