3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you in the sticks?  (Read 1557 times)

Re: Are you in the sticks?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
I live in a neighborhood of 1ac lots. Up till this year we could hunt on our property. A new law was passed, and now we can't unless you have over 10ac. I only "hunted" on my place one year when we had some special permits issued by the game dept. Shot 9 deer that year in my yard, but I am not sure it was actually hunting!

Bisch

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
Bought our 36 acres 5 years ago; love having the room to hunt, shoot, stumpshoot, etc. Took a walk out back today after the blizzard...just because. Saw deer, too, and lots of tracks. Not really in the sticks, but a foot of snow made it feel that way.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
Paradocs you have fine place my friend. Hard to believe you are 15 mins from my door...it's like 2 different worlds.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
When I was a kid I could hunt out the back door. There wasn't posted sign with in 10 miles. Everybody knew everybody and got along. Heck, I bought a shotgun from my shop teacher and brought it home on the school bus. Different times then...and they say things are better now......Now I have to drive to hunt.....not far 15-45 minutes but it was nice when I was younger.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Right out the back door woods are 10 yards away. No visible neighbors any direction. Pee off the porch! My land and the neighbors land and then you hit public. Shot several that I just had to give a good shove to make it down the hill to the garage.(Pretty steep). They aren't pets here. They know better than to come into our yard. Front door neighbor has 200 acres and butts up to a land locked public tract of about 600 acres. Brother has Part of the land lock property across the road. Thousands of acres of public within 10 minute drive of the house.  I am truly blessed in this day and age. Not much leasing in our area (yet) either. I wouldn't be able to handle the concrete jungle!!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
We own 15 acres here at the house. Im also the only person who is permitted to hunt my neighbor's 40 acres. Every few years there's a nice buck that calls this area home and I try for them when I catch them on trail cam. I usually let the does and little bucks walk as we are not just overrun with deer here...we have almost all of them named.

Lots of turkey here to hunt. I got skunked on my hunting lease one morning a few years back. When I came back home and stepped outa the truck and slammed the door a turkey gobbled at it. Grabbed my gear back outa the truck and slammed the door again to see if he would gobble so I could locate him more exactly...he obliged me. 15 minutes later I was carrying him back up out of the holler to the house.

Offline Chuck Janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Grew up with woods and a afarm next doo, Once married lived on thr fatherin laws farm. Mountain to the south and river to the north. Could hunt all of it. Lots of squirrls met their end back then. Now all new owners and not hunting allowed. I live in a neighborhood now with no hunting. Have deer in the yard most nights. Own a form 150 miles away. Used to know all the neighbors, most are gone now. Posted sign have now gone up. Miss the old days
Life at it's Longest is Short

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Yes, in the deep woods..
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
My home is a mile back from the county road.  I can walk out my door and hunt the farm next door and some connecting parcels, about 500 acres.  I'm the only bow hunter on about 100 of them.  I don't shoot the deer on the front lawn.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
I've got a little 2 acre place right in the middle of 20 acre and 40 acre farms & ranches.... or should i say used to be ranches... the neighbor to the south bought that 40 acre spread and started growing grapes.    :rolleyes:    No hunting over there any more... but i have 20 acres of timber to the east, and 33 acres to the west which is wide open farm land i can hunt.

Unfortunately we've had a big cat move into the area and we don't see too many deer any more. I haven't seen the cougar personally, but have seen sign. The neighbor saw her dragging a small deer across the field in October this year. From the sounds of it she's running 150-175 pounds. Big feet on that cat too.... I keep a smoke pole handy  for the day i finally see it.     :goldtooth:  

I guess you could call this place in the sticks if ya wanted too.... The house has been here since 1883.... It was WAY out in the sticks once upon a time.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
That is a huge bummer Landon
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
I could've literally had a shot off my front deck this year if I hadn't had my head up my butt when I stepped out...  Normally, I expect to walk out of the yard first.     :dunno:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »
I live in the sticks for sure. hour and a half from the closest "city" (asheville). 30 minutes to get to a little mountain town. I live next to the Nantahala national forest. 500,000 acres or so.  Deer numbers are low but hunting pressure during bow season is non existent. I hunted hard for four months and never saw another hunter. Sometimes I'm jealous of guys with nice leases and good deer herds but I remember that within a one hour drive there is more public hunting ground than I could scout in a lifetime. Theres some real wilderness areas out here too and thats cool.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 05:40:00 AM »
Lucky enough to still be able to do that even here in the most densely populated state in the union. Deer and turkey in my front yard. Came home a few years ago, walked up on my back deck and here's a nice little six point bedded about twenty yards away under a forsythia bush. Just couldn't shoot it though. And I can still pee off the back deck. In fact, I could even do it off the front deck if I so wish.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
We have 20 acres and our house sits almost in the middle of it. Moved here in 84. Back then I could hunt in any direction about as far as I wanted to walk, no one cared. Not any more. Most of the good hunting land has been leased or bought by out of state hunters. My closest neighbors still allow me to hunt, which I'm grateful for. Iowa does have public hunting ground, but not to the extent of some other states. Even though we can't go back to the way it use to be, I feel very fortunate that I have places to hunt for free.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I don't live in the sticks, about 6 miles from town.

For all my 45+ years of bowhunting I've hunted other people's land except when I travel west. I am a retired wildlife biologist and for years wrote wildlife management plans for other people's farms.  I always dreamed of owning some land of my own that I could improve.

I'm in the process of buying the place I've hunted on for the past 12 years...very excited about it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
I don't live in the sticks, but I own a small 65 acre rural tract about 10 minutes from the house. Also, there is a lot of public access land in the county, but I haven't hunted it in a number of years. There are a lot of deer out there.
Sam

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
I have 10 acres of prairie 20 miles from town,and though I could hunt out my door

I dont
Have miles of state land with a target rich cow pie environement and small game, varmits what not, that I wonder and "stump shoot" on. Bowhunting only area within a few miles and National Forest in 10. So I am good.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
I am lucky to have a few hundred acres of private land to hunt and its only half a mile away.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I've killed numerous deer within site of my house and can walk out and hunt anytime.  I own a larger piece of prime hunting property that takes me 12 mins to drive too and I think that's terrible to have to drive that far to hunt...I'm spoiled!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©