3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you in the sticks?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you in the sticks?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
Live in the mountains seven miles from a small town of about 500 people here in N. Idaho. If I walk across the road, I can go about 80 miles on usfs land before seeing a home or black top. Leave the window open a bit in the fall and go to sleep listening to the bulls bugle. Have had moose, lion, elk, bear and of course deer in the front yard. I am content.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by lone hunter:
Live in the mountains seven miles from a small town of about 500 people here in N. Idaho. If I walk across the road, I can go about 80 miles on usfs land before seeing a home or black top. Leave the window open a bit in the fall and go to sleep listening to the bulls bugle. Have had moose, lion, elk, bear and of course deer in the front yard. I am content.
that is just too cool. Man your are blessed!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline K-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
I live in the sticks walk out and hunt!I don't think I could live in a town or city just not in my spirit.
PBS Associate member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
Yep, that National Forest for a front yard sure sounds nice!

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
I live in NW Montana and could hunt off of my porch if I choose to. We don't hunt from the house though. Too much fun watching the elk and deer trying to get into my horse hay storage. The property backs up to the national forest and is a major travel corridor for a heard of about 300 elk. My wife killed a cow elk this year and I killed a small rag horn last year off our property. I love where we live.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
20 acres in the middle of several hundred.A mile off the county road and 20 miles from the nearest "town". Deer, Pigs and turkeys.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:00 AM »
Not really "the sticks", but nice and quiet and private. We have 250 acres here by the house and lots of other rural neighbors'land to hunt.
The deer are right in the yard, nice buck rub on some Sumac about 60' from my back door, happens every year. Our house is located on the inside corner of what we call the front field. About 200 yards behind the house is a classic rub line. Freshened every year as well.
This place will "see me out".
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »
I live on 4 acres on the edge of a very small town in Indiana farm country.

I can hunt my backyard and that's what got me back into deer hunting some years back.

Unfortunately, I just don't get many deer through here anymore. I think it's primarily due to changes on the surrounding farms...they've cut down all the cover.

Even though I live out in "the country" I really don't have anyplace worth hunting. Most who own good ground hunt it themselves or lease it out.

I live about 10 miles from a 4500 acre state WMA. I see plenty of deer out there during the off season. During deer season I mostly only see people and tree stands. It's even hard to find squirrels there.

I didn't even buy a tag this past season. I went fishing instead.

It's tough because I can't drive to work without deer trying to bounce off my bumper but I can't hunt any of those deer.

The last few deer I put in the freezer were killed with my dodge truck. LOL, I think I'll trade one of my bows for a good sturdy "brush" guard.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
We have 16 acres and our property adjoins the National Forest. Most of the National Forest in our immediate area is surrounded by private property.
   Hundreds of acres to hunt, Turkeys, Whitetails, Squirrels, and Cottontails, steep and rugged country.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
Massachusetts I can walk right behind my house and hunt and I do get a deer every year but I honestly don't want to hunt out there too much because I don't want to ruin it!  Nah I still prefer driving 46 miles each way to hunt another state.

once I retire I'm selling everything and going south hopefully where I can do the same thing, maybe MD, WV, NC not sure yet.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
My wife and I live on 25 acres in middle Tennessee. Our house is one mile off the main road. We have over two hundred acres surrounding our property which a trad buddy and I hunt exclusively. We have definitely been blessed!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »
Yes! Buffalo literally in my back yard! Had to tell the Better Half to be careful if she took the dog for the usual walk this evening, as I spied a couple of big, grey gangsters hanging-out by the power station. Was doing my practice with my PCHX as I try to get back into the archery way of life... and a buffalo was standing down by the spring just watching me smacking (or attempting to smack) the plastic milk bottle. Love it here!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
I live in the middle of town.  Squirrels know they are safe here.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
My brothers  farm is 1 mile away and I have killed between 100 and 120 deer within 200 yards of my back porch. I am truly blessed to have hundreds of acres of neighbors land to hunt on while only paying taxes on 2.

:pray:      :pray:  
No wonder the roads are so bad in WVA:)))
T ZZZZ

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Live in town, but have to shoo the deer out of the yard most mornings, and I am 5 minutes away from whitetail and turkey hunting. About 10 minutes to great stream fishing, and maybe 15 minutes to elk country. Things could be worse, for sure.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »
Not necessarily in the "sticks" here but yes, I am able to walk out of any door of my house and start hunting private land.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
we are super lucky. live on an island in the PNW of canada-- 3 930 sq. miles, 150 islands ,and  4500 residents spread over 6 small communities. our village only has 350 residents. our property backs onto crown land- and i can walk out my door and be hunting real quick.
 additionally we get 15 tags a year- season 9 months long, plus a month of bear season in there- so total 10 months hunting a year!
beach hunting, bush hunting and some beautiful alpine, if a fella wants to walk!

downsides: its a coastal rain forest- lots of rain, thick bush, more rain, and rains sometimes too!
certainly paradise for me- but i have seen some awesome pics of other folks hunting areas- i just love the decidious hardwood forests.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Surrounded by thousands of acres of woods owned by the boy scouts that is huntable. One neighbor has 100 acres and another 17 that I regularly hunt too. I'm blessed I can walk out my door and be hunting etc.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
I have 6.5 acres that border another 170 I can hunt literally out my back door. It's not as good as it was in the 70's and 80's but still glad for what I have

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Couple hundred acres in the northern Green Mountains. Tens of thousands of undeveloped acres adjacent. We have moose, bear, whitetails, grouse, fox, coyotes, turkey, etc. sharing the land.
Just walk out the door to rove, hunt, ski, snowshoe, whatever.
I am thankful every day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©