3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How does everyone get through the winter?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How does everyone get through the winter?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Work, gym and hogs.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
This winter has been so mild up until Friday night I could ramble around outside as pleased. Our deer hunting season is still open for a few days but the snow is too deep to go out there.

Now I shoot indoor every other week, read a lot, work a little part time (very little this time of year), lube fishing reels and go over tackle, fill 7 bird feeders and birdbath daily, stare at the golf clubs in the shed. I go to the gym a couple of times/week and walk in the mall if too cold. In the milder winter I'd get the 4 wheeler out and tool around. Spent a day watching 3 grandsons play basketball. Need to watch the two granddaughters play now.

During the blizzard my wife and I played Scrabble. I watched "Saving Private Ryan" for the umpteenth time and it gave me a lump in my throat as usual.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
I keep hunting!! Hogs, varmints, squirrels and rabbits. Work keeps me busy too, as well as the kids. This time of year I try to work a few side jobs too to help pay for my hunting addiction. Spend a little more time working out after deer season and the holidays are gone and try to stay in shape.And of course shoot my bows as much as possible. This weekend I'm going on a little trip with the wife since deer season kept me away so much.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
i hunt archery deer, javelina, quail,dove, rabbits starting in December and into the end of January. the weathers in the comfortable 25-50 degrees during the day. winter is the best time here. during the summer i fish and i shoot indoors or early mornings to avoid the 140 degree heat in the sunlight.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
After hunting season I usually cut firewood the rest of the winter but this year Im having a hard time getting motivated to do that..used to rabbit hunt also but all my beagles have passed from old age so don't do that much anymore..sometimes shoot a traditional dart league..
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
Great topic

1. Scheme about how I will pay for my next year's hunting trip.
2. Shoot my bows in the lower level/garage.
3. Mentally review the past year's hunts, thinking how I might have hunted better.
4. Go to as many of my grandkid's sports events as I can.
5. Build up credits with my better half by painting interior rooms, tiling backsplashes, new counter tops etc.
6. Every few years  head to someplace closer to the equator for a week or so.

7. Try to remember to daily thank God for the immense blessings He has literally heaped on me, and wonder why me?
Great stuff! #5 helps you achieve #1!  I love #7 and feel the same way myself.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
I shoot in my basement year around.  Try to find an outdoor 3-D shoot a week to attend.  Do a little cross country skiing and snowshoeing.  Buy and trade a few bows and other equipment.  Make some wood at my cabin. Some ice fishing, but not as much as I used to. Hunt bunnies a little bit, and sometimes squirrels.

Sometimes mill out some wood, make seats and thwarts for wood and canvas canoes that I build or restore.  Garage is too cold to work on boats in the winter though.

For me, winter isn't something to endure, but to be enjoyed.  As busy then as any other time of the year.
Well said, Jerry. I need to embrace the season more.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
Hi, Dennis!

Let's see here... this winter I've been working, both at home, in the office, and in our church ministry.  That alone keeps me pretty busy.  

But when I'm not working, I spend a lot of time at the piano, or with a guitar or mandolin in my hands!  I'm hoping to get into some coyote calling within a few weeks, but I do that with a long, black, scoped thing.  Have been doing a bit of pistol shooting this season as well.  

But for archery... while I haven't shot much, I pull my 68# bow as part of my workout routine.  3 sets of 10, pulling and holding each time, both arms.  That, along with pushups, curls, triceps extensions, and 30 minutes on the exercise bike, gives me a good workout.  I like using the bow as a workout tool because of the obvious archery benefits, but also because it is a great workout for the biceps, triceps, shoulders, and back.

I do spend a fair bit of time piddling around with my archery stuff, making arrows, watching bowhunting DVDs and YouTube vids, reading bow & hunting literature, etc.  But I like to take a bit of time off of archery during the deep winter, and the absence makes my heart grow fonder!
Hi Roman,

You're truly a man of many talents and passions. I'm so glad you and your lovely family are doing well!

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I go roving/winter scouting with my buddy Gretchen (Yellow Lab). I shoot in a Traditional Archery League on Monday nights, try to take in a couple traditional rabbit hunts, tie flies for the upcoming season and ice fish. Oh, and I might work my day job if there is time.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
dress warm with the coat I hunt in when its cold and go shoot. only time I don't shoot is when its raining

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Make arrows, buy stuff, write music, chase the wife around the house until I get tired, work on my concert program.  Sleep till 10 o'clock.  I am not shooting at all for three months this winter.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
What happens if you catch her pavan?     :laughing:    :laughing:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
Down here we hunt the winter. October 1-February 15. Bushytails til the end of February. Not cold enough here to need to shoot indoors. I get in from work jut in time to do some low light practice. Here, on public land we can only hunt hogs during any open season with weapon and ammo legal for that season so after deer we must wait for the turkey opener to get back after pigs. By then things are starting to resemble spring.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Mostly read trad gang and work.  I have a three year old that occupies every free second I have.  So tonight we are on the couch she is watching cartoons and I'm trad ganging it.  When it warms up we will spend all our evenings outside till dark. Good thing is after deer season goes out its only about 12 weeks until turkey season.  These are about the longest 12 weeks of the year.

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
I shoot, hunt, rove, bowhike, etc more in winter than I do summer and fall:  no bugs and only slightly more humans.
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
If its 40 outside, no wind and the sun is shining, I'm shooting!

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
I try to shoot a dozen arrows outside every day snow or not. Hiking.  Gym workouts. Make arrows, quivers, and read.
Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
Winter down here is waaaaaaay different than up there where you are. It will be in the 80's in a few days here!

Bisch

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
I shoot my bows everyday..(second shift now), Beaver trap, workout, and snowshoe bunny hunt..the winter days go by quickly..dreaming of turkeys and elk in the fall..
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
I shoot all I can, but chasing waterfowl and coyotes gets me through to spring. Really looking forward to chasing gobblers with my silvertip. I can't wait!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©