3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best wool you've used  (Read 4839 times)

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best wool you've used
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
I was Hunting in Ontario about 25 years ago and my feet kept getting cold and my guide took me to a general store trading post, There was a rack of grey wool socks with a red ring around the top . No brand on them but I traded him 2 cans of snuff for them. Warmest I have ever seen and still wear them today.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
Gray Wolf for me. They will probably be at our WTA banquet next month in Madison and you could feel/try it on first hand.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Mtn Bound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Yes been wanting a filson vest and double mackinaw cruiser for a long time. Figure to spend your money once and never have to replace a cheaply made item. I'll give grey wolf a look. Anyone like silent predator?  I heard they have some great products
Hitman Pronghorn 58#@28"
**IN THE WORKS**
Hitman 3pc Takedown 56#@28"

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
I love my First Lite long handles & my Day One Camo outer layer! I have my Asbell wool for the nicer/cooler weather too! Also, I wear the Asbell wind breaker to if need be, and this makes it very versatile!

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
I have a mismatch collection that has kept me warm down into the teens with wet snow and ice as well...

- Swandri hooded jacket from when Paul Brunner was selling them
- Woolrich mackinaw cruiser jackets (two of them)
- Classic Sportsman wool shirt (exceptional and Made in USA)
- WOolrich heavy grey pants

I likely will get another Classic Sportsman SHirt and one of his vest....

Then First Light Merino wool thermal under layers in lightweight and then a shirt in midweight as well.

I top these with a wool or wool/synthetic blend stocking cap...one from Carhartt has the ear protectors built in.

I have thought about an Asbell pull over but not felt one personally to see how tight the weave is on them and the lanolin content for a true outergarment...heard good things though.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
Filson is my top end wool and I was lucky to get the camouflage pattern on sale.  Can only imagine what the top end stuff is like.  Not all wool is created equal. It's an interesting read if you do a search. My ibex undergarments are holding up real well.

Really depends on how much rain, wet snow one hunts in.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
underlayer Ullfrot or whatever the name is now, over the years I've used KOM, pants vest, jacket, some filson pants and vest, most recently DAYONE pants, have asbell vest and pullover, not my first choice on a real cold day, fine into the twenties for layering but when it gets colder I layer in a different manner....

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
best wool layers I have were knitted for me. The patterns add bulk which adds warmth.

Offline Greg_M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
Swedish military surplus pants.

Offline Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
Woolrich has always been my favorite
Deno
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
Johnson Woolens for me...from Benoit green/black plaid to green wool pants,,feet are covered in Darn Tuff socks, I don't leave home without em!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
I've hunted Northern MI late season with lot's of different wool. I've used Gray Wolf, ASBELL, King of Mountain, Classic Sportsman, Woolrich, Filson, so I've got a broad range of experience with many different products.  If you are going to spend time in a tree, with any sort of wind in cold temps (I've sat in ten degrees before in our late season with wind), you MUST use a wind block of some sort if you're going to spend any time on stand.  ASBELL makes a wind block and I've got Gray Wolf vest with their wind block and insulation option. I also had a Gray Wolf pullover with wind block that was my favorite to sit in late season with (it had high back collar and wind block liner with front hand warmer pocket that I could put disposable hand warmers in so I could wear thin gloves).  

None of the above products without windblock would let me set comfortably beyond 2 hours in the wind in cold temps, even when layered. With windblock and a couple of disposable handwarmers tucked in shirt pockets I could do 4 hours. A windproof hat and face/neck coverage is also a must.  Boots should be roomy and feet should have thin wicking liner sock with medium wool sock over that.

Late season cold is tough and fine balance in not wearing too many layers so you don't affect your shooting and staying warm.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
I have both Gray Wolf and Day One. I prefer the Day One. I don't even use the Gray Wolf anymore.
BD

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
Bemidji Woolen Mills Superior Double Back coat
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
I've been wearing my Day One wool pants for 7-8 years now. Highly recommend.

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
With all due respect, the Asbell-Woolrich-Johnson loose weave wool is great as an under layer or on cool days, but if you want to stay warm, you've got to get into the KOM-Gray Wolf-Sleeping Indian type of tightly woven heavy wools, hopefully with windblocking lining. They are expensive items (and Sleeping Indian is no longer with us as its founder died last year) but can be found "used" in various places-- use your imagination. It's impossible to wear the wool out, so it can be a real bargain to find a "previously owned" garment.

Cabela's "Wooltimate" line is also pretty good and not as pricey, but with this stuff it is the insulation and Windblocker that accounts for the warmth of the garment. This stuff also goes on sale this time of year.

If all else were equal, my choice would be KOM for quality of build and outstanding wool. The Hillbilly Bibs paired with the jacket of your choice and appropriate layers are perfect 90% of the time IMHO.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
It has to be absolutely brutal out for me to wear my Hudson Bay blanket coat. My go to, other than the HB coat, is my Swanndri Jacket or Shirt with an attached hood ( both being water proof ), third being a Loan Wolf vest, fourth a Filson jacket. For bottoms I also have found the Swiss army wool pants to be a great value.

As stated above, with the exception of the Hudson Bay blanket coat, depending on the temperature one would have to adjust the layering system.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Filson. No contest. Their weave is ridicoulously tight and the highest of high quality. The 100% lifetime guarantee is an added bonus. Not that I've ever had to send anything back.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Hawkeye, I see you're from Apollo. I too got lucky and walked into Locust Grove when they were running their ridiculous low sale price on all their filson camo wool 4 or 5 years ago!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »
Ibex or Smartwool for my base layer and Silent Predator for my outer layer.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©