3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best wool you've used  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best wool you've used
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Asbel has a great sale going on now...I too also own several different wool items from more than one sponsor.

Asbell's is nice(they have different weights which may not be known by some), as is Two Tracks, Classic Bowman, and my custom fitted Gray Wolf.

I may have to check out the sale myself and I don't need any!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
I love my Filson wool vest!!!!!
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
For my money, it's Asbell wool hands down. I own all of it....KOM, Filson, Gray Wolf....but the product that I wear BOWHUNTING is Asbell wool.

Don't mistake the stiff, board like texture of Filson (for example, not picking on them) as a sign of "better wool". Teresa Asbell has her wool processed so that it has loft, traps air (that's what keeps you warm) and most importantly, has a soft and flexible so that you can still shoot a traditional bow. These garments are design around the activity of traditional bowhunting.

Many garments incorporate a sewn in wind blocker to improve heat retention. It works great. Teresa does not. Why? Cost and flexibility. I often do use a wind stop vest in conjunction with my Anorak or Pathfinder. But it isn't sewn in, so I have more versatility.

Teresa Asbell has spent YEARS creating hunting garments that the regular guy can afford....without missing out on functionality.

With a sweater, a wind block vest, and a Timber Ghost Anorak, I can hunt in any weather, October thru February.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Asbel has a great sale going on now...I too also own several different wool items from more than one sponsor.

Asbell's is nice(they have different weights which may not be known by some), as is Two Tracks, Classic Bowman, and my custom fitted Gray Wolf.

I may have to check out the sale myself and I don't need any!!!
Terry (or maybe Roger?)

What kind of sale are Fred and Teresa running right now?  The things I see on the website appear to be offered at the regular pricing.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Filson vest.  Seems to be made for bowhunting.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
Having owned or currently own and used most of the wool mentioned above, here are my thoughts:

Columbia is a really loose weave and the wind goes right through it.  It picks up and holds every piece of brush, sticker, or thistle and doesn't want to let it go. That means you better figure on spending an hour plus pulling stuff out of it every time you hunt.  However, with the loose weave it blends into the surroundings as well as any of the more expensive brands.

Asbel, I didn't like how loose the weave is our the loose fit, it got in the way of shooting my bow.  Many people like it.

Filson is good but a little stiff.  Other than the vest, it is a little bulky/baggy to use when shooting a bow.  I do like and recommend the vest.

The Weatherby coat I had was to bulky to hunt in, haven't tried their pants.

Swandri, love everything of theirs I have managed to find. I have and old shirt in realtree with zippers on the sleeves instead of buttons that is by far my favorite shirt down to about zero.  I like and wear it enough the collar is threadbare and I had to have the cuff's lined.  Really wish I could still fit into the camo pants or find another pair a little bigger.

King of the Mountain is hard to beat.  It is a little bulky but the blowdown pattern is great in treestands and on the ground come November, is quiet, and comes in about every weight and insulation you could want.

Sleeping Indian is interchangeable with the KOM, just as good, maybe a little better..... It's a matter of preference and finding it.

Gray (Hidden) Wolf is comparable to the Swandri in weave and feel and is available in about every combination KOM does.

As mentioned by others, all wool works better with a wind blocker and will keep you warm if you have the right weight and combination.  My recommendation is to buy all your coats and vests with it already built in.

In normal November weather, down to zero, I wear 230 weight Marino wool thermals, uninsulated KOM or Gray Wolf pants, a Swandri Shirt, KOM or GW shirt, a KOM or Gray Wolf vest with wind blocker (That I bought here in the classifieds, I think from Ray Lyons), one or two light weight wool neck gaiters (KUIU), a KUIU wool cap with either/and/or, a thick wool cap/Hidden Wolf Bomber.  The caps and neck gaiters are key to regulate and maintain the body heat.

Below zero, it's the  same thermals, Gray Wolf insulate bibs, KOM shirt, KOM or GW insulated coat, and a same neck gaiters and caps.  If it is really cold I use the KOM Bomber instead of the HW because it is warmer.

Most of the above brands work, though Columbia is at the bottom of the list.  Some come in different weights, have wind blocker options, and depending on your preferences good camo, plaid, or solid patterns.  I recommend the ones that fit you best (Gray Wolf can be custom made at little or no extra cost) with consideration of the type of hunting you plan on doing.  As you probably expect, there is a good correlation between price and and quality.

Buy the ones that best fits your needs and budget.  It can break the bank trying to buy it new, especially if you do it all at once.  I bought my wool over twenty five years, picking up one of two pieces a year.  A lot of it was bought here on the classifieds at 50-60% of the new price.  The good thing about buying it used is you don't take the initial hit/depreciation and can resell it for what you paid if you don't like it.

Also, remember the purpose of camo is to break up your silhouette, don't hesitate to mix and match the patterns or brands, my pants rarely match my shirt, vest, or caps.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
Any wool will be 10 degrees warmer and wind proof by simply layering one of those cheap nylon workout suit below it.  It is not noisy when layered under wool and blocks wind as well as if not better then most wind blockers.  I seldom by wool with a wind blocker anymore as the windbreaker is cheaper, easier and to my ears quieter.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
 a KOM or Gray Wolf vest with wind blocker (That I bought here in the classifieds, I think from Ray Lyons),

Also, remember the purpose of camo is to break up your silhouette, don't hesitate to mix and match the patterns or brands, my pants rarely match my shirt, vest, or caps.
Good comment on the mix and match Walt. I do it all the time.  Yup, my chubbiness was your gain.  I did replace my vest from Gray Wolf with a slightly larger one with wind block and insulation. It's probably my most used hunting clothing.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
For really cold weather which to me is 0 and below I wear the grey wolf insulated bibs. There is no way you can get cold with these on. Like all cold weather clothing you will have to pack them to your stand. I have an old KOM jacket for the top layer.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Not that expensive and I have gotten years of use out Codet (I think that's how you spell it) pants and insulated jacket.  The jacket was warm, but not usable for bowhunting- too bulky.  The pants were very usable in a forest green color, but not super warm by itself, pretty good  as an outer layer.

I had a filson vest that I liked  but my cabin got broken into and the vest was taken.  Have not replaced it, yet.

I use a cameo vest a lot with a Asbel wool hooded cover. And merino wool base layer. Really like merino wool.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
For really cold weather, the above inside a heater body suit. I think I could sit on stand all day with that.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
the best wool is made right here in New Zealand   :goldtooth:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by JEFF B:
the best wool is made right here in New Zealand      :goldtooth:    
Swanndri?  I have a pullover and like it a lot!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
I have the Anaorak and to me it fits great for bow hunting and I wear it a lot. Filson for pants.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Filson for me.  A little spendy, but extremely durable.  Good-looking, too.  While I don't use them for bowhunting, I have a double makinaw coat and a vest that are 20 years old.  Both still look very,very good.  I really like Filson's tight weave.

Tom

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
My base layers are Minus 33, wool power , my wind breaker is an item called gator wear -- I bought it at a hunting show in Stevens Point WI, very lightweight wind proof , breathable, and 4 way stretch, fantastic item I wish I could find it again, I would buy more!
I own 3 Asbell wool items and love them, never owned a more expensive brand I am sure they are awesome. With the gator item Asbell is just fine. For me late season WI stand hunting my item of choice is the IWOM.
To each his own love this sport we have Traditional Archery, great people, thanks Jerry.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I have a Swanndri vest and I love it....

any truth that they moved operations to China?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Out of all the wool I have & have had KOM,Sleeping Indian & Swanndri AKA Swanni (sold by Paul Brunners "Screaming Eagle Catalog) Swanni is the tightest weaved and windproof I have used and we are just talking WOOL garment here without any type of WINDSTOP type lining.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
I think you would be pleased with First Lite wool base layers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©