3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight ?  (Read 990 times)

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight ?
« on: January 26, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
I am bout to buy my first longbow i have went back and forth from trad to compound for yrs i guess i just felt more confident with my compound have taken many deer and hogs with it over the years but i always have way more fun with me recurve shooting n i harvested my first deer with a recurve bout 3 yrs ago but the buck jumped forward as i shot and i hit him in the back ham and by luck i hit his main artery he only went 20 yards , point is that it scared me to think i cud have very easily wounded him and him ran off in pain n died in vain i only hunt for food trophies are a bonus not my main reason , point is the trad hunter inside me keeps clawin wanting out so im giving over completely to being the best trad hunter i can be but im wondering i normally shot compounds at 70# +- my recurve is 60# @28" its fun but i get worn fast thinking of going down a touch i plan on shootin a heavy head / arrow but like to have still decent speed my draw is 26 what poundage wud yall recommend im gonna purchase a Great Northern Lil Creep at 58"
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
And i was also wondering what everyone thought about the simmons heavy broadheads
"Its their world out there, we're the tourist " " they sacrifise for our family , that deserves great respect n honor !!! " "Move like a tree, smell like the dirt, and sound like an acorn."

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
I think something 45-50# at your draw length would be fine.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
50 to 55lbs would be where I would want if I was you.
Simmons makes some mean holes and they fly true.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
I shoot 55 and have a 26 draw like yourself. I like it
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:51:00 PM »
45-55# enough to kill anything in north America and can shoot a lot longer without the fatigue. so better practice.
and if you want to go up in pounds later its a perfect reason to get another bow some day. I have been shooting trad for 30 years. and only trad now for the last few years. started low poundage at 45 built up to near 80. then decided I didn't need that much since my 50# bow will send a BH through pretty much anything including targets designed to stop them.
I shoot gold tip velocity 300 spine. 31.5" with a 1.5" aluminum collar, 14gr insert, 300gr fieldpoints/broadheads. my arrow weight ends up right around 643. and I launch them at around 180fps. I shoot cutthroats and maxium 300s from Morrison archery. going to try the Simmons now that the season is almost over so I can test them this summer. There are several great heave broad heads out there.
I shoot a blackwidow psa 59# at 29" and I draw 29"
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
58 @ 28 should get you right around 52 @ 26... good hunting weight bow.... i don't care much for Simmons broadheads myself. i'd recommend Grizzly in either two or 3 blade. if you want more up front weight use brass inserts.

Offline Shooter#21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 12:45:00 AM »
40-45 pounds is plenty if the shot is accurate. It doesn't take much to get a pass through on a whitetail deer out to about 20 yards or so. I  like 2 blade single bevel heads that are very sharp, but I believe most any head will do the job. I suggest keeping the weight low so that you can practice more and have more fun!
Bear Super Kodiak 50 pounds
Samick Sage takedown 45 pounds
150 gr Grizzly single bevel

Online 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
I also shot a 70# compound and switched to trad this year. I draw 27" and started with a 60# recurve then later bought a 59# longbow. I shot them almost daily all summer and into the fall and figured I was good with that weight. After sitting in cold stand for a few hours one day I stood up and did some practice draws and realized getting to full draw and holding it a couple of seconds like I normally do while I focus on a spot is not as easy as shooting in my back yard on a warm day. I have a new bow on order and have decided a 50# @28" bow will better serve me in a hunting situation. I still shoot the 60# bows almost daily to stay in shape and I also like shooting them but I think the 50# bow will serve me well next hunting season.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Significantly shorter draw lengths equate to shorter power stroke, thus exhibiting concerning limited penetration on medium sized game, targets and 3D targets. Have worked extensively with bows in the 44# @25 range for the past seven years.

Note: All tuned arrows:
At ~11 gpp….arrow would occasionally bounce off a 3D target and exhibited limited penetration for two finger removal…would not begin to personally consider for medium sized game.

At ~ 12 gpp… improved penetration on 3D and targets…most questionable penetration on medium sized game.

At 13+ gpp…appears adequate, yet may propose trajectory issue.

*** 50 to 52@26*** would be my personal recommendation

Do not typically provide input regarding draw weights, however after witnessing the results of at least a 1000+ arrows from shorter draw's, precipitated a response.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
I personally know three bowhunters that shoot from a 38 pound NAT to a 44 pound Hill that have less than a 27" draw.  Out of 18 Iowa whitetails, only one did not have two holes or a pass through with either cedar arrows or 1816 aluminums, shooting Grizzly, Bear, or Eskimo heads.  The one  that was not two holes was one that jumped the shot, the arrow hit that right ham and stopped at the left scapula. No deer that were hit were lost.  Low 50s is plenty and for deer there is no need to go nuts on grains per pound either.  My main concern is if the arrow is straight behind the broadhead at impact.  Going to extreme head weights can complicate things and make arrow selection a tedious process.   Had a guy this year want help with his carbons.  I wanted to see where he was at with his 27" draw, so I had him try some aluminum arrows that 28" bop.  1818s with 125 grain Grizzlies flew perfect for him.  He stated that is exactly what he wanted his carbons to do, I think they were way to stiff to begin with, with long inserts, at full-length  and 200 grain heads, they were still touchy and reactive to draw and release changes.  He shot a deer with the 1818s.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
I have a draw of 27" and my bow is a 51# great northern super ghost recurve. At my draw length Im pulling 48#. My arrows are 29" and I have a 50 gr brass insert with 150 gr head. Arrow weight is 476 gr I believe.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Bar_BN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Man i appreciate all the great info from u all on this site just goes to show the generous and care for one another nature the archer truly is. Thanx guys the info i have learned thru the years all came from archers online has made me the archer i am today and the archer i hope to become tomoro .

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
Very difficult for someone on a forum to tell you what # you need to shoot without knowing your skill level.    When I switched to trad I went from a 70# wheel bow to a 45# recurve.  I did ok but I subsequently but a 35# bow work on form.  My accuracy and consistency improved 100%.
T ZZZZ

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
A #50@28 longbow is the spot for everything N. America at 25 yards once it's tuned. Deer, Bear, & Elk and so on. I've tried them all up and down in weight..My 2 cents
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Significantly shorter draw lengths equate to shorter power stroke, thus exhibiting concerning limited penetration on medium sized game, targets and 3D targets. Have worked extensively with bows in the 44# @25 range for the past seven years.

Note: All tuned arrows:
At ~11 gpp….arrow would occasionally bounce off a 3D target and exhibited limited penetration for two finger removal…would not begin to personally consider for medium sized game.

At ~ 12 gpp… improved penetration on 3D and targets…most questionable penetration on medium sized game.

At 13+ gpp…appears adequate, yet may propose trajectory issue.

*** 50 to 52@26*** would be my personal recommendation

Do not typically provide input regarding draw weights, however after witnessing the results of at least a 1000+ arrows from shorter draw's, precipitated a response.
when I started last year I was told that me current set up was more than enough. 48# at 27" with a 476 gr arrow. According to this info above, I may not have the right set up for deer?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
your fine, you will shoot through 2 deer with that setup if your not carefull.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
My first bow was #50 at 28", and killed deer with pass through shots easily. My second bow was 56# at 28", and my second set of limbs for that bow was #52 at my draw. Killed many whitetails with that bow, all with pass through shots. Arrows for all these were Aluminum and with various traditional and fixed blade heads. I then dropped to a 46# bow with wood arrows with grizzly 2 blade, and you guessed it, still getting pass through shots. I am now the proud owner of a #45 lb bow @ 28", and I have yet to take an animal with it, but,,,,I have NO doubts, as it shoots with much more authority then the #46. Honestly, for me, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt whitetail with a #40 lb bow, and would still expect pass through shots. The key is tuning, practice,taking high percentage shots, and learning to make a good hit happen when the moment comes and the adrenaline is pumping. That is the major hurdle as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, there is a minimum weight ethically for any certain sized animal, and nothing at all wrong with heavier bows either (except my bum shoulder screams at me). Whatever you shoot, make sure it is well tuned,sharp broadhead, lots of practice, and set out to master shot placement under the stress of adrenaline. Shoot what you are comfortable with, and aim small friend. good luck!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
Bar_BN,
 Plenty of responses about bow/arrow combos. As to Simmons heads, I just killed  a boar hog, with a a 190 gr. Interceptor. Had a heart shot pass through and quick recovery. Story here as 'Spot and stalk FL boar'.
              Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
I can tell you that for whitetail a 40 pound bow w a very sharp 2 blade does the job very well.  I know my shooting has really improved since I went to the lighter bow.  I get into my form much better.  I'll take great placement from a light bow vs bad hit w more poundage any day.  Hunt w the highest poundage that you can handle accurately and no more.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©