3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much weight should I add?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
How much weight should I add?
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
I have been told several times that my arrows are way overspined.  2117's with 40# bow.  My question is until I can get better arrows would adding the biggest point i can find to them help me shoot better for now or is point weight more of a fine tuning thing?

I am just full of questions tonight  :)

Elu

Offline todd potiphar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much weight should I add?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
I have been told that you can decrease the effective spine of your arrows by 5# for every size of field point you move up (eg. 125 to 145/145 to 160/etc.).  On the other hand, I shot 2117's out of my 45# recurve (centreshot) and they flew great.  Is your bow centreshot?  Have you tried other tuning options like changeing brace height and nocking point?

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
I have tried nocking point havent really messed with brace height yet due to the fact i dont have a stringer and this site has made me leery about not using one.  At 10 yards the arrows fishtail but I can group them fairly well though they sometimes curve hard down and left which could be me..I am new to this.  From 20 they just plain do all sorts of crazy stuff.

Offline todd potiphar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »
the plus side to using aluminum arrows is that points are cheap and easy to switch.  try buying several different weights and messing around with them.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
I agree with todd to a point....IMO....youre going to be beating a dead horse....They are way too stiff...and even putting a 200 gr tip on youll still be too stiff AND youll have a very high FOC..I just dont think it will work. To re Brade youll have to probably go OUT of the recommended height by alot to even come close for it to work and you may end up damaging the bow....But Like I said this is just my Opinion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©