3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Stalker Stickbows  (Read 2039 times)

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
New Stalker Stickbows
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
I'm too old and weak to shoot my bows..............my current line-up of bows that is!!

Many years ago when I was young and strong my bows ranged from 70#-78# at my draw length. Around 50 years of age I realized that I was struggling with the draw weight and as a result my accuracy was suffering. So I sold and traded my bows for new and used bows in the 60#-67# range, which have worked well for me.

Now, at 63 years of age, I've returned to the same scenario. I'm now struggling to draw my 60# bows to full anchor, hold as long as I want and shoot accurately. It's time to sell my current bows and buy new ones with less draw weight.

I shot several bows at RMSGear and discovered that my sweet spot is now around 51#-53# at my 30" draw length. I decided that I would like to try something new this go around. Currently I have a "go to bow" that I shoot all of the time while my other bows gather dust. This is because it takes me a lot of time to recalibrate my instinctive aiming when I switch bows since their trajectories and points of impact differ. I thought if I could buy 3 bows with similar specifications that shoot the same POI for me that I would enjoy shooting several bows in lieu of just one. I decided to go the custom bow route to more easily make that happen. Also I have specific requirements for limb veneers and wood risers as aesthetics of traditional bows are as important to me as performance and fit. I've shot a LOT of different longbows and recurves the past few years so I've got a good feel for many of the custom bows available and what features I would like in my new bows. See photo below of a violin with stained quilted maple veneer that has influenced me. Would it be possible for a bowyer to match that wood and stain?

After much research I decided to go with 3 models of Stalker Stickbows with similar specs that I hoped would satisfy my needs for performance, fit and aesthetics. South Cox assured me that he could match the violin stain (without the shiny finish of course) on my new bows. The specs of each bow are as follows:

Wolverine FXT, 62", stained quilted maple riser with black phenolic flare, one set of static limbs 52# @ 30" and one set of static limbs 46# @ 30" (for working on technique in the winter), stained quilted maple limb veneers with black phenolic overlays, carbon and bamboo limb cores.

Coyote FXT, 62", same riser, limb veneers and limb cores, one set of static limbs 52# @ 30" and one set of longbow limbs 52# @ 30".

Dingo FXT, 64", same riser, limb veneers and limb cores, 52# @ 30".

[/url] [/IMG]

The Dingo (one piece longbow is on the left, Wolverine (3-piece take-down recurve) is in the middle, Coyote (3-piece take-down recurve and hybrid longbow) is on the right.

I received the bows a few weeks ago and have been shooting them daily since. Each of the bows exceed my expectations for performance, fit and aesthetics. All 3 bows with their multiple limb sets shoot my 600 grain Carbon Express Heritage 250's where I look with the same point of impact. All of the bow and limb combinations are buttery smooth to draw with no stacking at my relatively long draw length. I'm impressed with the speed of my heavy arrows from the carbon/bamboo limbs. I'm still curious to see if one bow rises above the others and becomes my "go to bow". One thing that really surprised me after shooting the various bows and limb combinations so far is that I'm enjoying shooting the 46# limbs much more than I anticipated. I thought I would just use them for working on technique but I found that they are really pleasant to shoot and don't fatigue me at all. Also I'm amazed at how fast the lighter limbs are with lighter 530 gr arrows (same 11.5 gpp as my heavier arrows). The transition to the heavier limbs will be easy to do the latter half of this summer as I get ready for elk hunting.

South Cox was excellent to work with throughout this process. I consider his bow creations functional works of art. I smile every time I shoot my new Stalker bows.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: New Stalker Stickbows
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
You lucky SOB.   :D   South builds a super bow, there is no doubt.  Sweetest shooting 3pc static I've tried besides an RER.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
Wow what a collection!! Exact specs to my liking. Are you adopting anytime soon?LOL
Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
Good Lord Those are outstanding.   :notworthy:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I must agree................Beautiful!!!!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
WOW...got to tell you I was never a fan of Maple...till now, those bow's are beautiful!!
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
Well, that ought to put you on South's Christmas card list.
Super set of bows - congrats!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Sweeeeeet set of Bows, South builds some beauties, my Coyote FXT LB has been my go to since I received it a couple of years ago. I have taken quite a few deer with it.

Enjoy     :thumbsup:    

Steve
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Those are beautiful Michael!!  I hope you enjoy all three of them. Thanks for sharing!!

BTW, Big Ed doesn't eat much if you decide to adopt him...just saying...   :laughing:

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
South makes some beautiful bows, for sure! And all of yours fit that bill to a T!

Congrats on your new sticks,

Bisch

Offline matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Absolutely amazing. Congratulations on a very nice set of bows. God bless.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
Good God all mighty! Those are gorgeous! Did you get a discount for buying in bulk? Lol. You did well... Very well.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
I am very jealous, those are beautiful bows. I have been arguing with my wife over getting one new bow, you are my hero.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
very nice
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
These are yours!!! I was wondering...

I never get tired of looking at these beauties!!!

Awesome!!!    :thumbsup:

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Are you kidding me!!! That was one sweet order to put in. Wow those are gorgeous!
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
nice is all I can say!!!!!!!!
PBS Associate member

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Beautiful bows. That photo is the stuff trad archers dreams are made of!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Uhhhh, ummmmmm...ummmmm..uhhhhh.
   :eek:  
Those are rediculous..

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
One of these days I'm going to buy a stalker static tip...one of these days!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©