3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Stalker Stickbows  (Read 2038 times)

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Stalker Stickbows
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 11:55:00 PM »
Sweet bows! I love my Stalker Coyote!   :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
Nice brace of bows, flock of bows, herd of bows, band of bows?
Well, a gorgeous bunch of bows, for sure!!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 05:19:00 AM »
I never was a fan of maple like I am now. Stunning bows, Way to treat yourself.
Memo

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Man, those veneers are off the hook. I remember seeing those limbs on the stalker fb and Instagram pages. Congrats.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Thank you everyone for your kind remarks regarding my new bows. For those of you interested I'd like to share some info on my wood and stain selections. Last summer when I was thinking about wood for the risers and limb veneers I learned that most woods selected for bows are done so for their natural wood grains and wood color that are finished under clear coats of finish. I looked on the internet for examples of beautiful wood bows and furniture to help me make decisions on wood selection. That's when I found the photo of the violin with stained quilted maple veneer. Maple is not normally used for bow risers and exposed limb veneers because it is REALLY plain looking in it's natural state. But it was obvious from the photo of the violin that maple can be transformed into something beautiful by staining it. I also found many examples of high end custom made guitars with quilted maple veneers that were really appealing to me.
  [/url] [/IMG]

I called and emailed several of the guitar manufacturers and one from USA and one from New Zealand were willing to talk to me. They kindly shared their stain formulas and staining procedures with me. It turns out that both stain formulas were nearly identical. They gave me the stain manufacturer's contact info and the names of the 2 stains they each used. They used a gold color stain as the base color for the maple and a follow-up darker stain that would bring out the wood grain. They gave me their recipes with the number of drops (from an eye dropper) of concentrated stains that are diluted in denatured alcohol, number of stain applications of each color and the drying time between stain applications. I ordered the stains and then turned my attention to the maple.

There are many varieties of maple and their wood grain varies greatly among them. The violin and most guitars are made with Big Leaf Pacific Maple saw cut in a direction that makes the grain look "quilted". I looked on the internet and bought some 1-3/4" wide x 8" long strips of quilted Pacific Maple veneer that I could use as stain samples. I stained up the strips of maple with the stain formula and staining procedures that were given to me but I varied the formula slightly on each strip until I arrived at the one that I liked the best. What really concerned me was that the stained samples looked great while they were wet but when the stain dried the darker wood grain that I really liked faded badly. I spoke with South Cox who told me that the "wet look" that I was after would be there once the limb veneers are glued up under clear glass and the maple risers and overlays were finished with clear epoxy finish. I gave South my final stain sample strips, the bottles of stain, eye droppers and a written formula for mixing the stains and application. He assured me that he would follow my formula. Here is a photo of the many pairs of stained limb veneers that South made for my bows. Notice that the wood grain is barely visible when dry.

[/url] [/IMG]

South was right about the darker grain looking great again once the limbs and risers were finished with 7 coats of clear epoxy. I found it interesting that the stained maple limb veneers looked slightly darker under clear glass and that provided a nice contrast to the lighter color epoxy finished maple risers and limb overlays. South's last coat of epoxy was a satin finish to keep reflections down.
  [/url] [/IMG]
  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
I don't even know what to say!  Boy, you sure knew what you wanted those bows to look like, and knew how to get the right answers!  Absolutely gorgeous bows!  Congratulations on beautiful choices.  i would now have trouble deciding which one or combination to shoot!     :clapper:

Bernie

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I see may bows I think look good but man I just can't looking at these.  My wife keeps asking what I am looking at.  I guess I have quite a strange look on my face.

Offline ARriverdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
I see many bows I think look good but man I just can't looking at these.  My wife keeps asking what I am looking at.  I guess I have quite a strange look on my face.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Incredibly beautiful bows!!!
Tom - Fish Carver

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
Congratulations for you will to pursue what you have  Dreamed. I really like the finished work, but expected by a great craftman like South
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
I found it interesting that the stained maple limb veneers looked slightly darker under clear glass compared to the riser

I think you'll find that with a little age that riser wood will darken with an epoxy finish. Give it a year or so and i'll bet they are matched perfectly.

Btw.... Those are drop dead gorgeous bows.    :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
up
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
Very, very nice.I like a lot of exotics  but I feel like maple is as beautiful as any exotic wood out there.Aside from the staining, that maple is exactly what Ive settled on for my Silvertip build.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Since you have one of each, how does the coyote longbow compare to the recurve in performance?

Offline Dave Nash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 06:56:00 PM »
South is a true artist for sure.Enjoy, I have a Coyote  and it's  my go to.
Dave
Great Plains t/d longbow 64"46@28
A&H acs 64"41@28
Stalker Coyote 64"43@28
Wapiti  Spike 66"47@28

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 01:42:00 AM »
WOW, simply gorgeous.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Amazingly beautiful bows.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 06:00:00 AM »
Incredible........

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 05:16:00 PM »
WOWZER!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Oh my goodness.  Those are the prettiest bows I have ever seen.  Would you consider adopting a 66 year old kid from Texas?  Hi Dad.     :bigsmyl:
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©