3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Information about resident hunting in WY  (Read 348 times)

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Information about resident hunting in WY
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Putting in for a job in Casper WY.

I am familiar with the animals available as I have hunted a number of western states.  I am seeking information along the lines of what animals are available to hunt each year and which are on a limited draw basis (how often do you draw).

Is there any good bowfishing?

What animals can be hunted year around?  Coyotes?

Any information on what it is like to be a resident bowhunter in WY is appreciated.

Greg

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Information about resident hunting in WY
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
The first thing you should know is it takes 12 months of residency before you are considered a resident. I have a cousin who lives in Riverton and they hunt in the mountains somewhere. I don't believe drawing archery tags takes nearly as long as rifle tags in most areas, but don't expect to draw all your tags every year. We lived in Rapid City not that long ago and we would shoot coyotes all winter in WY. The state used to have a bounty on them, but I don't know if they still do.
Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Information about resident hunting in WY
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
Coyotes are fair game year around.
Elk and deer can be hunted every year, and usually antelope tags can be drawn every year. With elk and deer, if you don't draw a specific area, you can buy a general license and hunt general areas. Bear and mountain lion are over the counter, but areas are closed when quotas are met. Turkeys are mostly on general tags, but addtional tags for specific areas are also available, and seldom sold out.
Moose, sheep, and mountain goat are tough draws, as is buffalo.
If you are in Casper, bowfishing is good at Pathfinder and I used to shoot lots of carp on the Sweetwater arm of the reservoir.
Lots of bird hunting for grouse. If you are a waterfowl guy, the Platte has good duck and goose hunting.
Hope you like the wind; I lived in Casper for 30 years, and it gets a bit breezy at times.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©