3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern, not much about them.  (Read 2912 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern, not much about them.
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
I rarely see much about the Great Northern Bows. I have the Super Ghost and it is a nice bow. I have nothing to compare it to really. I also have a Big Horn and a Samick. The Big Horn is really solid. The Samick is well, cheap but practical. So what are your thoughts on Great Northern?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Re: Great Northern, not much about them.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
I have never shot one of their bows, but their quivers are top notch!!!!

Bisch

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
They have an excellant lineup.Though they have discontinued some models unfortunatly.

I have had Superghosts,Bushbows.Critter Gitters and the traditional longbow.I liked all the ones I have had very much!

They are superbly crafted and have an understated elegance.Thier is nothing gaudy about a GN bow.Tough and very functional.

I like their hinge takedown.Especially on their longbows.

They have been around for a very longtime and have many loyal followers for good reason.

My 1st 50s style recurve was a Superghost.

I also think the Critter Gitter (mild,deep cored.trapezoid R&D),Traditional longbow (reflexed ASL) and Bushbow (wide limbed flatbow with mild R&D)are excellent all around hunting bows and at or near the top of their class in those designs.

He also made more of an extreme hybrid longbow that was called the Fireball that alot of hunters liked.

His grips are nice whether its the index,broomhandle or pistol style superghost

His broomhandle is one the more traditional style straighter grips that I found excellent for me as a guy who typically shoots a locator type grip.Its a tad different in small ways that I like personally.

Enjoy your Superghost.Thier nice!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
yeh I have truly enjoyed shooting it. It is tough as well.I bought it from Paradocs last year and I really began shooting well after that purchase.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
X2 Steelhead, exceptional quality. I have hunted with my superghost exclusively for over 20 years. Just retired it last season.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Great Northern .......as good as they come. I have had several and just got one not to long from Big Ed......a Bush bow, and I love it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
X3 per Steelhead. They are great bows and so is Jerry.

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
I own several, and have owned a ton of em over the years. Keep going to them all the time. They are functional, hunting bows. Perfect lines, fit, and finish. Jerry is in his mid 70's and he is still crafting perfect bows. The green glass models are like velvet..I have a black glass jackknife Ghost that is amazing. you will never go wrong with a Great Northern bow. I spoke to Jerry 2 days ago, and the excitement in his voice still rings true. He loves what he does.
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
I can tell he is a good man. I called and talked to him last year and he was just so nice and his wife seemed very nice as well.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Jerry and Sharon are aces. As good as they get. The Jacknife takedown is a lot more technical that it looks. Genius actually. It will be great to see them this weekend. Jerry has an awesome little shop right in the downtown of one of our quaint old southern Michigan towns. It's fits Great Northern exactly    :thumbsup:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Jerry and Sharon are aces. As good as they get. The Jacknife takedown is a lot more technical that it looks. Genius actually. It will be great to see them this weekend. Jerry has an awesome little shop right in the downtown of one of our quaint old southern Michigan towns. It's fits Great Northern exactly    :thumbsup:

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
Well said Carcajou, when I went Trad I bought a GN Trad Longbow and LOVED it, so smooth and a pleasure to shoot, just simple elegance. I sold the bow at Denton when I went lefty and the guy that bought it got a nice 8pter the following season and loved it.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
I met Jerry about 1982 or 83 at the Anderson Archery Clinic in Grand Ledge Michigan. I had a table full of longbows that caught Jerry's eye.

He stopped at my booth and before you could say,   "the cat ran across the roof with a piece of raw liver in his mouth"  he was the proud owner of a new longbow....And the rest as they say is history .

So all you folks that enjoy Great Norther bows have me to thank...     :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks Ron...the only Great Northern bow I have handled is a Critter Gitter...it is one of the very nicest drawing heavier draw weight (65 plus pounds) bows I have ever drawn

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 07:18:00 AM »
I am a big GN fan also.
My all time favourite was a ghost jacknife. Unfortunately, it got to heavy and I sold the bow, only to get broken during shipping to the new owner. Its life ended, like the many deer it accounted for.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
I have had 3 Bushbows and 2 Fireballs. I've shot the Lil Creep and the Ghost recurve. Great Northern bows are at the very top in my book. Great quality & even better customer service from Jerry & Sharon. Can't go wrong

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:18:00 AM »
Love my bow even more now!

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 10:51:00 AM »
Over the years, I've had all of the GN bows except the traditional longbow and the Fireball, usually multiple examples of each. Finally settled on the Lil Creep for my needs, and sold off the rest. Only reason the Super Ghost went down the road to Landon was the grip was just a shade too high for me, aggravating an old wrist injury. I'm really thinking about ordering a Ghost, maybe with the index grip...gotta have at least one 'curve in the house. Will let Jerry get through K'zoo before I start bugging him.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
love this bow Para!!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
I bought a brown glass jacknife Lil Creep at Compton's last year.

I think I will order a green glass model now.

Very sweet bows and superb craftsmanship.

Like Bisch said...the quivers are also great.

I own several.
Irv Eichorst

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©