3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short bows: recurve or longbow  (Read 1658 times)

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Short bows: recurve or longbow
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
If you were going to a shorter bow 58" or less, which would you choose and why?
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short bows: recurve or longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
I just recently picked up my Java Man Elk Heart 54" longbow.I shot both the Helms Deep recurve and Elk Heart longbow. Liked them both, but like being able to string/un-string my bow in the field without a stringer. Since this is going to be my ground blind bow primarily for hunting, I went with the longbow.

Besides I already had a Bear K-Mag 52" recurve   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
I would probably pick a recurve for a shorter bow.If I was to go with a longbow it would have to be a forward handle like a Super Shrew or Kanati or bows with a similar design for a longbow.A shorter recurve usally will have more mass weight which will help some shooters that like more mass.For me I'm more of a longbow shooter and just like them 62" to 66",it comes down to personal preference to me.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
I just got a new Kanati two days ago, 56" so I'd say longbow all day
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Short bow covers a lot of ground and that definition is debatable. Its all personal choice. If you are talking about choosing between 58" recurve or a 58" D shaped longbow, I'd personally choose the recurve every time. However if you enter in on the r/d bows, id choose those in a 58" bow every time.

I dont care for shorter D longbows, because of stack, and over all feel. A longer one is much more comfortable. I personally enjoy the r/d bows compared to the same length recurve, because to me,they are more pointable with arrow a bit closer to the hand, and they lack the recurves string slap, and are less prone to uneven limb torq by pulling the string back with a rolled grip upon draw. The narrow, but thick limbs of the longbow resist that more, making it more forgiving of less then perfect releases.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Lots of great choices at 58" or less, just depends on your draw length for some to be comfortable...

Big Jim's Thunderchild would be another good choice...  Toelke Kestral is a shooter too...

My Widow SA's and PSA are 58"...  The PSR shoots well too...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
Don't overlook the Toelke Pika either. Mine is a shooter!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Typically a short recurve is going to give you a better string angle than a long bow and be easier to get off the string.....

But..... It all depends on the limb design. There are some R/D long bows or hybrid long bows that have excellent string angles at 30" - 31" draw.

You'll hear a lot of guys say, "I don't shoot short bows very well." Typically that's because of the steep string angle that causes finger pinch. Its tough to get off the string clean....

Look at these drawings.... showing the string angle on both the RC & the hybrid LB.

OK..... Now look at this photo of the same set of limbs on an adjustable riser at two different pad angles, and what it does to the string angle at full draw....

For guys with shorter draw lengths, they will have more options on short bows than guys with a 29-31". The longer draw lengths gotta have good string angle on a short bow regardless of it being RC or LB

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
Nice info Kirk.  Really shows how the limbs work in detail.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.
That said I shoot my 56" Stewart Little Slammmers better than any bow I have ever owned. Just seem to fit my stubby carcass and draw best.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Yes, thanks Kirk.  I feel like I learn something everytime I read a post of your's on a thread like this.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
I'm with you BWallace, every time there is a thread with questions of this nature I keep coming back to it to hear Kirks answers. I'm still trying to figure out why I don't own one of his bows yet.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
We just got some Lil' Favorite Recurves finished for the Traditional Expo in Kalamazoo this weekend, 54 to 56" bows

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
What Graybeard said above.  I've been a recurve guy for 45 years but when I go short, there is nothing that comes close to my Little Slammer..  Leon Stewart builds some awesome R/D longbows.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by dixiearcher:
If you were going to a shorter bow 58" or less, which would you choose and why?
The 58" bow I am shooting now and have been the last two years is a Shakespeare Necedah recurve(1965).  The year before that a Root Warrior 58" from around 1964.  $100 bows that hold their own with anything as far as what the target or deer's chest shows.  I also favor a 58" Red Wing Hunter from 1966 +/-.  Whopping $120 for that one.

Why would you even look at a long bow that wasn't 70" or longer?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
Great looking bows Ron; I hear you know a thing or two about short bows.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
In all the years I've offered the Shrew bows I've never had a complaint about stacking....it's all in the design.    :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Over the years I've found out that a 56" bow is perfect for my 26" draw. And it would not matter if it was a longbow or recurve.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
I prefer short longbows (R/D hybrids) myself, for a number of reasons.

1. Maneuverability- I get snagged less on brush when I'm trompin' through the woods.

2. Convenience- I don't hafta have a stringer to string/unstring.

3. Practicality- Don't hafta worry near as mush about twisting the limbs or string torque effecting my shot.

4. Silence- The lack of string contact on the limb after the shot seems to be a lot quieter to me.

Reason #1 is why I like short bows, and 2-4 are why I prefer the longbow designs over the recurves. I just have a 28" draw (when I do my part right), so my options are pretty open as far as brands/models. I don't know if I've found the "perfect" bow yet, but I'm pretty dang close with my Timberghost Smoke. When my funds allow, I will try out other designs. There's SO many nice lookin' ones out there...

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Typically a short recurve is going to give you a better string angle than a long bow and be easier to get off the string.....

But..... It all depends on the limb design. There are some R/D long bows or hybrid long bows that have excellent string angles at 30" - 31" draw.

You'll hear a lot of guys say, "I don't shoot short bows very well." Typically that's because of the steep string angle that causes finger pinch. Its tough to get off the string clean....

Look at these drawings.... showing the string angle on both the RC & the hybrid LB.

OK..... Now look at this photo of the same set of limbs on an adjustable riser at two different pad angles, and what it does to the string angle at full draw....

For guys with shorter draw lengths, they will have more options on short bows than guys with a 29-31". The longer draw lengths gotta have good string angle on a short bow regardless of it being RC or LB
This is very interesting , thanks for your efforts to explain .
How you call this model , how much is long ?
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©