3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow advice please  (Read 1340 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow advice please
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
  Don't put too much bearing on changing point weight. This will help, but has less effect than shaft length adjustments or certainly changing arrow spines.

2X on Jim's thoughts here

Loading up on tip weight trying to get more flex out of the arrow or manipulating the arrow spine, is something i see a lot of guys doing trying to tune arrows....  

You are MUCH better off starting with full length bare shafts and your desired weight up front and tune them by cutting the shafts.

Another though is changing tip weight will effect a full length 32" arrow much more than a 28-29" shaft too.

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
Well, I received my kits. Hopefully I'll have time to play around soon.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
once I get the spines tuned with the points I am using right where I want them, I run the point tests again I go light and I go heavy. you can see the spine change from to stiff to weak. and then I go back to the heads that worked. then I am sure there is no false readings.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Skates

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
Unlike what was stated above. You should be able to shoot the length YOU want.  Not just take advise of shooting what ever based on some opinion of some that never kill anything.  You should own the arrow, the arrow should NOT own you.

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
So after some messing around this evening, my 44# @ 28" Thunderchild really seemed to like this setup:

.500 GT Trad cut to 28" carbon to carbon (8.6gpi) - 15gr insert w/250gr point for a total unfletched arrow weight of 524gr and an FOC around 25%.

If I stick with this, I think I'll have to experiment with some heavier inserts so I don't have to be stuck with finding 250gr broadheads.

I am still going to keep messing around, but I was pleased with this start. Thanks for all of the help and I'll continue to update as I get closer to a selected arrow.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©