3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winter Projects  (Read 1009 times)

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Winter Projects
« on: January 29, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Since it is winter and I don't have much time for my own devices during daylight hours, I have been working on some projects.  My overall goal is to stay cheap, learn as I go, and make useful items for myself.

My total investment is under $40, plus time.  

The lacing is from a bag of scraps from an art/craft store.

My buttons are wood for now, until I get some antler to cut up.

Let me see your projects too, so I can find something else useful.

I got this piece of water buffalo leather from the local Amish tack shop.  It wasn't popular with customers because of the distressed look, but I liked the character and weathered look.

That leather became this back quiver, on the smaller side, about 4" opening, 21.5" deep.  I just need to break it in and get accustomed to it.  I followed this build-along:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=138271;p=1

Mine isnt as pretty, but oh well.

Some scrap from arts/craft store went to:

broadhead sheath, more to come,

Arm guard, sorry it looks crooked in the picture,

A stringer, along with some old 550 cord

String pouch for my quiver,

I need some tools now, because making 100 stitch holes with a hook scribe gets old fast, and punching holes with a hammer and punch is loud at 2300 when everyone is sleeping.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter Projects
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
a stitching horse and a good awl, two needles and thread.
 stitching horse ( or pony- the smaller simpler version) just build from construction grade lumber- 1x  4" hinge and a bolt with a wingnut.
 if you need further info- i can post some pics.

your projects look awesome- and very practical- if you like a back quiver- look at making a solo stalker- i just love them. basically a broadhead scabbard that attaches with a piece of lace to your bow riser- so that you can carry a broadhead out and ready to shoot- without having to fish out of your back quiver.

good work mate
 wayne

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Wayne,

I have been thinking about how I want to go about making a solo stalker. I want it attached at the top and bottom,  so I was thinking about getting some arrow piggybackers for the bottom, along with a broadhead sheath at top, unless I can figure out how to make a good one from heavy leather.  Any pictures or ideas?
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Nice work.  Your projects turned out well and look great.    :thumbsup:  

I got some leather a couple of springs ago and made a quiver and then an armguard and a couple of stringers with the left overs. I had a good time doing it.
This winter / spring I am thinking of refinishing my Hatfield RC.  I am starting to feel some raised grain in the riser, and it has taken a few dings out in the field.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Nice looking quiver, and accessories!  That was a great winter's project!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Those projects look fine to me and was time well-spent.
Lon Scott

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
I have an amish leather worker not too far from me. I use to have a safarituff and liked it....so I'm thinking a shoulder quiver may be in the works for me!

Great job on the back quiver.
Micah 6:8

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
hey  Rob.
 this is just how i do mine.
 i have made both 2 blade and 3 blade solo stalkers.
i like to use a heavier veg tan leather- left over pieces from my saddle building.
so about an 8 oz veg is good.
the leather you were using is chrome tan leather. great leather- but the veg tan you can wet form and then when dry oil it well- it will be thicker , and have more body. chrome tan is probably stronger for its thickness, is very soft and pliable and better for upholstery and garments. not saying one cant use it - just different characteristics- one just needs to decide what is best for the job.

so this is what i do, the back piece( against the bow) is bigger , on the mouth end- so that there is a bit of a landing- to put tghe broadhead on- before sliding it into the sheath- this one in the pic, could actually be bigger, then it also has the long tab at the top end that will fold over, and  make the eye- for tying to the bow.
i like the flexibility of the solostalker being able to swivel and move somewhat. as i hold the shaft of the arrow and the riser at the same time.

i also have thin "guard strips" inside- to protect the stitching from being cut by the broad head.
 when it is all made up- i wet it all well, and wet form it around the blades and the ferrule etc.
now  heres a trick: if you leave  the form in the wet leather- the leather will dry to the exact size- if you remove the form the leather will shrink a wee bit than the original wet form. now in this case- thats ideal as it will make the head fit tighter- and help it stay put- wet form it the exact size- and it will alwys be loose in the sheath.

some applications you want exact size- but in this instance it will only shrink very slightly- as the overall dimensions of the product are very small- as it shrinks as a percentage!

this is all hand stitched.
use the best quality leather you can get- nice back or butt leather- stay away from shoulders- and definitely stay away from bellies!

if i can help any further- just holla

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Rob, i also looked at the little piggy backers- but opted to stay away from them- i like the simplicity of just the solo stalker- and i feel i can get the arrow out of the SS and onto the string quicker and smoother.
 thats just me!
 everyone is different.
also one less thing to buy- i like to make as much as i can, and buy as little as i can!

good luck, which ever way you go- .
looking at your other projects, it will be awesome   :thumbsup:  
 cheers
wayne

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
You did a fine job........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Rob, I have several that I've made from leather.  Might be a photo in my bucket.  On my phone now but I'll get it up in the morning.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Actually I found some thick rubber matting, like floor mat or something, which is about .5" think, so I can forego the piggybackers, as I had hoped.  

I was also thinking about a narrow strap and loop from leather lacing that will hold my arrow, but release when I pull on it.  I just want security when I swap my bow between hands in the woods.

Wayne, thats a good looking stalker.  Saddle work sounds like you know a thing or two about leather work, huh.  The leather I got is about 8oz from what the Amish guy said.  Im not sure yet about veg vs chrome tan, but I have been rubbing in mink oil, and got a chunk of beeswax to rub along the edges of the leather.  Is mink oil ok, or is there something better that is easily available?

Everyone else, thanks for looking, Im glad someone else thinks it all looks ok.  Feel free to share other projects for me to consider making!
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Its always nice to use scraps or junk to make something new and useful.  I think its stimulating for the mind as you have to figure out what to do to make something work.  It saves money.  And you will possibly have a greater appreciation for something you made yourself than something ordered from online or a magazine.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
i have never used mink oil- always use neats foot oil- its that natural oil that is rendered from foot and leg bones of cattle- seems to me the right thing to be putting back into cattle leather   :knothead:     :campfire:  
cheers
wayne

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
Nice work on all fronts!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  nice work

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Looks great! I like distressed look in leather also. Makes it look like it's older than what it is.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Wayne, I realy like your three blade stalker.  I shoot mainly two blade but recently found a bunch of old bodkins that will make good small game heads.  I'll be working on a copy of yours!

Rob, here are the pics of the holder I make.  It is three thick of 8oz veg that is laminated with contact cement.  I put it in a bench vise to cure it.

The tie on is disposable and is a double of either heavy stitching thread or B50.

Can't believe  how difficult photobucket has become!   :(

Monterey

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
That one might have been more than three thickness of a lighter stock.  Old pictures.
Monterey

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
Monterey,

That looks like a good simple idea.  I might try that to keep a natural look going on.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©