3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DR. ED ASHBY PERSONAL BOW GIVEAWAY  (Read 411 times)

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
DR. ED ASHBY PERSONAL BOW GIVEAWAY
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
DR ED ASHBY PERSONAL BOW GIVE AWAY

Dr. Ed Ashby has graciously donated one of his personal bows in order to promote continued interest in his studies and principals of heavy arrows, weight forward arrows, and single bevel broadheads.

A simple contest has been established and open to all that demonstrated through their writing they followed Dr. Ed’s principals regardless of the brands of  the single bevel broadheads incorporated or material of the arrow used .IN OTHER WORDS YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE USING A TUFFHEAD TO PARTICIPATE.

In order to participate all you have to do is write about your experiences, trials and tribulations developing  your Ashby style arrows and or your hunting experiences and results using them.

All stories or essays following the guidelines will be eligible for the drawing.

For details about the bow and more details about the contest visit the link listed below.

www.vintagearcheryco.com/wp/ed-ashby-bow/
Joe Furlong

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DR. ED ASHBY PERSONAL BOW GIVEAWAY
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Very cool.  The minute I saw the title, I knew I was out of the running to enter...I've been privileged to correspond with Ed and know his bow weights...he probably doesn't have anything that I could string, let alone shoot!

Great gesture and great man.  I've found much of hiss material, which is complex in it's thoroughness, has been "skimmed" perhaps and misquoted frequently...

EFOC, heavy arrows, etc are not for everyone nor are they required for ethical hunting... but they sure do not hurt anything to know and understand, especially when some of the data comes from indigenous tribes in the S. Pacific (?) who have done things that would bend my brain reading about them.

I wish all participants well in this classic exercise...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
120# - geeeeeeesh that's unbelievable to me that guys are THAT strong. I'll always be envious, I'll never be more than a 60# guy

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Hey Brad, you could always split that bow down the middle and have two 60# bows! That's what I would have to do.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Shooter#21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
120?
Bear Super Kodiak 50 pounds
Samick Sage takedown 45 pounds
150 gr Grizzly single bevel

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
I had a 55# Martin ML-14 that introduced me to hand shock.  It would loosen fillings.  I think I would lose my teeth if I was able to draw that bow 28" and let loose.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
I used to work on my bow strength by pulling two 64@26 longbows at the same time, 20 or so times every other day.  This past summer I lowered that to two 54 pound bows, but I do not pull with just my release fingers any longer, I get all of my fingers deep on the strings.  I am pretty sure that I would re-injure my release fingers if I tried to shoot a 120 pounder these days.  Of course it would be to 105 or so pounds at 26".  Those super heavies do not gain or lose 3 pounds an inch like 50 pounders.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
No surprise that he's giving away the 120#er.  Everything in his studies says you don't need those "elephant" bows.  :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
I so respect the man and his research. Many people do things to better and more humanely harvest their selected quarry but there is no person on earth who has taken it to this level.

Dr. Asby has done a great service to all bowhunters - worldwide - with his tremendous research. The effort to do all of that and document it so thoroughly.....well my hats off to you sir.    :clapper:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
Actually if I have the story right Dr Ed did not hunt with this bow . It was his practice bow. You know to limber up with.       :banghead:    

Most of his hunting bows were slightly under this weight by a few pounds       :clapper:
Joe Furlong

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
HA!  In my day?!  I think it was Fedora who brought a 100# bow to Denton once and people were tearing themselves up trying to draw it...

I know (or think) Ed still says he shoots 80's...     :eek:      :scared:    

For all his challenges, draw weight obviously is NOT one of them... God bless him!     :thumbsup:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
ttt
Joe Furlong

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
I probably couldnt pull the bow without my eyes bleeding but I sent in an testimonial. The good Doctor's findings have been good to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©