3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rustoleum 2X Gloss Clear  (Read 426 times)

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
Rustoleum 2X Gloss Clear
« on: January 30, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
Just finished painting some Gt Blems.  I used white rustoleum 2X for the crown, black Testers marble swirl, and black testers cresting.  Marble finish turned out awesome.  Thanks Mike for the excellent tutorial on the how to section.  When I bought paint I asked the painting department for a polyacrilic clear coat, and they gave me the rustoleum  2X Gloss Clear.  I have searched the forums to see if this is in fact a polyacrillic, but can not find any one using this.  I would like to stick with spray as I do not have a dip tube.  Just curios if any one has used this clear coat, and if it made cresting run.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rustoleum 2X Gloss Clear
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
The Rustoleum is not an acrylic coating nor are any of the other products you have cited. If you are set on an acrylic look for Minwax Polycrylic in your choice of gloss. I would question using the acrylic over your solvent based coatings; there might be an adhesion issue.
The Minwax should be available at a quality hardware or paint store.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
The minwax polycrylic should come in a blue spray can.

No experience with the Rust-O but it should be fine. Spraying on a light coat first should dry pretty quick.

I've dipped oil based testors cresting in oil based minwax poly and it was fine, just make sure your cresting has cured for 24 hrs.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
Do a test piece. I think it will dissolve the testors.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
Did a test piece and the cresting got messed up.  went down to the store and got minwax polycrylic.  Just got done with the third coat and it worked great. Once I get all fletched up I will try to figure out how to post some picks.  For my first go at arrow building I think they are turning out great.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Krylon makes a spray called "Crystal Clear" that is an acrylic coating.... They also make a product called "Fusion" in a clear gloss that sticks to plastic.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©