3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hard Time Getting Morrison ILF Recurve Quiet...Can You Help?  (Read 661 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Hard Time Getting Morrison ILF Recurve Quiet...Can You Help?
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey all,

I have a Recurve that's composed of a Morrison 17 inch ILF Aluminum riser with KAP Challenger Carbon SHORT limbs.  The bow is about 58 inches long, give or take a shade and pulls about 45 pounds.
Morrison recommends a brace height of 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 and it's set at about 6 3/4 now.  The nock height is 4/8 or 1/2" above.  I am shooting off of an elevated Centerrest screw-in type rest.  Well it's really a copy of a Centerrest, not the actual thing.
I have 2 rubber whiskers on each side of a Fast Flight string.  That's about all the particulars I can think of to mention.  Well, maybe one more.  The riser is cut to where I could shoot of the shelf.  It has a very slight rise to it, but I suspect it would be better done if built up a bit more.
I can take pics of this part if you want to see it.  I've never tried shooting it off the shelf.

OK, I am having trouble getting this thing quiet.  I am going to try to raise the brace height to 7 inches and see what that does.
I also don't have anything to quiet the top of the string from hitting the limb surface after the shot.  I am thinking of wrapping the stop of the string on each side with yarn.  The string I have for my Bear Grizzly has these wraps on the string and it shoots really quiet.  I figure it couldn't hurt.

Also, if there are others out there that have this riser and shoot it off the shelf, I'd like to know how you have it set up to do it and if it quietened the bow down after you did this....or if you think it would work for this bow if I was to switch to it.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

nalajr

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hard Time Getting Morrison ILF Recurve Quiet...Can You Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
With an ILF riser you have the ability to adjust your limbs top and bottom to get them bending the same. It's not uncommon to have the limbs set at even tiller and not bend the same.

I'm not familiar with KAP Challenger limbs, but i think you should try changing the preload & tiller settings and then try different brace heights. between the ILF adjustment bolts, and twisting your string up or down, you should be able to find the sweet spot.... i think i'd lean towards a higher brace for noise issues.

have you got the limb bolts backed out, or cranked down?

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:23:00 AM »
The bolts are backed out 2 1/2 turns, so it's almost in the middle.

Are you thinking that I need to change how much one limb is cranked down due to my 3-under style?  If so, how much of a difference would that warrant?  I've never messed with that kind of setting before so I don't have a clue.  I've never been a tuning nut like some shooters are.  I just try to get 'em relatively quiet and start shooting them.

This one is gonna require a bit more input from me to get it where I want it though.  Will be playing around with it tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks

Nalajr

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:42:00 AM »
Those brace height recommendations on the Morrison site are probably for Morrison limbs.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »
Try different brace heights, check your tiller, maybe even isn't the best for your set up. I would get rid of the cat whiskers......try wool puffs or the felt from Two Tracks. String leeches work well also. I also put the fuzzy part of Velcro on the back of the limb where it can contact the riser. Change one thing at a time and just play with it........best of luck.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
How heavy are your arrows ?  Are the nocks very tight fit ?
CHuckC

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
I pretty much have the same set up.  Check tiller & up brace to 7 3/4  inches.  My arrows are around 480 grains with my set up.  Very little noise. Give it a try.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
Kirk
So what is the best way to check to see if your limbs are bending the same.  I presume you need to check it while the shooter is drawing.
T ZZZZ

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Check nock fit, since that is easy.  A tight fit can increase noise.  Work on your release--a cleaner release is quieter. Check the tiller, tinker with it in small increments. Make small adjustments in brace.  Check silencer placement.  I've had great success with cat whiskers for around 20 years.  Most folks use too much (too long) and/or don't bother to tune the silencers.  That can make a big difference.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
Gonna try some of the things you all have mentioned today.

As for tuning the whiskers, no I have never done that.
I have read about the setup where one is placed at 1/4th the length of string at the top and 1/3rd the length at the bottom.

What I am unclear about is what measurement is used to determine the 1/4 and 1/3 lengths.  Do you measure the TOTAL length of the string and then figure what 1/4th of that is and put it at the top and the same on the bottom OR do you measure the length of the string where it touches the limbs on top and bottom and then take 1/4th and 1/3rd of that length?

Thanks

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
I don't think you stated whether you shoot split or 3U...even tiller is a good starting place for 3U, slightly positive for split. Bob will tell you don't be afraid to try slightly negative if you shoot 3U and still aren't satisfied(it's what he shoots). He's also not a big fan of anything in the string groove of the limbs that might impede tracking.  I use adhesive-backed felt in the "slap" area just below where string contact at brace height ends...Border will tell you you don't need anything in the area of the limb where the string wraps the tips anyway. I assume you've eyeballed limb alignment, as you can adjust it and while you're at it see how the arrow is centered with riser/string. A lot of metal riser ILF's are cut further past center than what you may be used to, but you can adjust for that with the Centerest. And for what it's worth, I've owned several and never seen a metal riser I thought was as quiet as my Morrison wood ILF riser.  They resonate sound as opposed to absorbing it. I'll give up that .0001" of supposed flex the "technoweenies" obsess over for quiet any day...of course you don't need to hold your breath until you see me on the Olympic podium either, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Alistair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
My bow went from sounding like a shotgun going off to a gentle thud with just half a turn backed off the bottom limb bolt.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Measure the string from where it last touches the bow, then put a silencer on the 1/3 and 1/4 points.  Slight adjustments from there may be needed.  I've seen small adjustments make huge differences, especially with shorter bows.

Offline desprez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
HI

i have same problem with a W&W rcx17 and Uuka nature full carbon limbs
my personal think is that is your limbs are the problem because it was carbon
this material are make very bad noise (hope it was ok for you to endersand me cause i am French )
so i have put a piece of foam on the end of limbs and a ywool yarn on string
with this addition the sound was quietter
DRYAD ORION and WIN WIN BLACK

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
So how does it shoot at your present setup? Noisy or not!

Cause all you said is its loud.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
With those profile limbs the 17" metal ILF Morrison I had liked 7 1/2- 7 3/4", even tiller, nock point 1/2-5/8" depending on shaft diameter, 3 under. 1/4 point for silencers. Terry's hush puppies worked better than rubber whiskers on it for me.

As mentioned a small piece of adhesive felt or fuzzy velcro on limb belly were string can slap helps. I had one with a loose brass sleeve on the limb bolt and once that was tightened she quieted down. Good luck.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »
Well right now I wouldn't say that it's loud, per se, but it is not where I'd want to hunt with it.  If you were standing say 15 yards away form me, you could hear the shot when I release.

The arrows fly just as pretty as you please, I love watching the arrows arc down into the target, I just wish it was quieter.

I didn't get a chance to fool with it today, but definitely will tomorrow.  Gonna try some of the things you all have suggested.  I suspect raising the brace height will quieten it down some, we'll see.

By the way, I shoot 3 under with a tab.  My release is good, but I won't pretend that I don't have an ugly release more than I'd like.  But even when I have a bad release, the sound isn't much different than when I have a really good release.

Thanks all.

Nalajr

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
I shoot a Morrison 19" wood ILF with his medium max1 limbs. I draw 29" shoot off the shelf and ended up with a slightly longer then recommended BH. Also as mentioned a small piece of velcro where string slaps limb. But one thing I also did that helped a lot was teflon taped the limb bolts and purchased the brass collars from Lancaster instead of Bob's collars. A lot of good ideas mentioned, take your time and it'll come together for you.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
I shoot W&W and SF limbs on my Morrison risers and they like a 7 1/2 brace height, I suspect the Kap's are going to like at least that or a little higher. Morrison limbs and a Border hex6 like the lower brace around 7".

The bow Hush system works well for all of them or wool yarn balls works well too. I always put a piece of felt under each limb pad towards the bottom as well, seems to help.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 02:01:00 AM »
For those that have a Morrison riser and shoot off the shelf, do you have it built up or do you shoot it just as it came from the builder?

I've thought about trying it.

Nalajr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©