3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bird vision and fletch color  (Read 445 times)

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bird vision and fletch color
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Looking for anecdotes, experience, opinions about what fletch colors are most visible to birds in flight.  Would like to find a compromise between hideability and findability.  The crows are laughing at my pink feathers.
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bird vision and fletch color
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
Can't tell you much as I've never tried to hunt them with a bow BUT one thing I know for sure is that they key in on the color red.  I makes sense since they are always on the lookout for dead critters for dinner.  The other thing is that, as smart as they are, I doubt you are going to fool them no matter what color you use.  Good Luck
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Crows are quick and smart. Did you ever see a roadkill crow??
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Birds, including crows, have excellent vision in the color and ultraviolet spectrums. In fact their color vision is similar to, but better than ours.

If you think about it from an evolutionary perspective, there would be no point in investing energy to display bright colors (think cardinals) or take on the added risk of being detected by predators if you could not also see colors and use them to your advantage

Birds use feather and skin color for all sorts of reasons, including mating and defending territories. Crows are among the smartest birds and can most definitely see the difference between a cardinal and a blue jay or red fletching vs. blue.

I doubt that changing the color of your feathers will help much when it comes to crows…they are just smart critters. The New Caledonian Crow is the only bird known to regularly make and use tools. If presented with a grub in the bottom of a clear bottle, it will quickly form a hook on the end of stick and extract the grub for a tasty meal.
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Crows are never seen as roadkill since they post a sentry to lookout for vehicles.

When a vehicle is seen coming, the sentry crow alerts the others by yelling, "CAW CAW CAW!"

Sorry, could not help myself...     :knothead:

I do know from past experience that a wounded crow can create a scary Hitchcock scene from "The Birds".

They do know the meaning of Revenge!
Lon Scott

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
What do they say for a truck!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
They don't, that's when you see a roadkilled crow LOL

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Doves and crows routinely dodge shotgun pellets ( that's my excuse anyway) so a slow arrow could be easy.  Just keep at it.
CHuckC

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
Them crows are incredible at dodging arrows.  Good luck!!

I thought that sentry crow hollered Cawr,Cawr,Cawr.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
:laughing:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Don't shoot my buddy Harold, it could be Harriet, how do you tell.  Anyway, he or she really likes dog food.  He learned real quick when I come out and put some on the picnic table that it's dinner time and lands above my head and yells at me, "Go back in the house I'm hungry."

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
TRAWK, TRAWK, TRAWK for a truck??
CAWR, CAWR, CAWR for a car??
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
When you find out how to hit them let me know.
They have way better eyes than we do.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »
NYRON is right on.

Think of the turkey gobbler and how his head turns bright colors; red, white, blue - that show isn't for us.

Doves also see arrows coming. I've watched them turn their little heads to see my arrow.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
We had lots of doves last fall.  I figured out where to shoot a sitting dove. About 2 feet up and towards the direction it is likely to fly.  Turkeys see so good, they can see if you have a turkey tag in your pocket.  Changing your feather colors will make no difference.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
The only color I've had any luck with is dull grey...traveling about 1,500 FPS...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
They distinguish color well and pick up motion very quickly.  That puts them two up on me right there.
Sam

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
I'm fishing for differences in bird perception of pink, chartreuse, white ( High visibility ) red, blue, bright green ( med vis), and black, brown, gray (no vis ).

Keep in mind two radically different backdrops: snow cover vs green/brown.

Would I be better off with stealth fletching and adding color to shaft with a colorful wrap, nock, or nock collar?
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Double post

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
Triple post

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©