3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman or stinger  (Read 1546 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman or stinger
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
Love them both. I used Stingers with the bleeder blades this past fall and killed 3 deer and a turkey with them. Blood trails were all excellent but all were double lung shot. If you are the type that cannot sharpen broadheads you may like the stingers. They are sharp out of the package and they stay sharp.

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Woodsmen. I shot the stingers out of wheelie bows and when I started shooting trad. Stingers are sharp, fly great, but I like a hole vs a slit. WW leave much better blood trails, in my experiences, and sharpening them is a cinch once you figure it out. VPA or WW is all I shoot anymore.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:

Originally posted by Arctic Hunter:
I've shot three deer with the stingers. They worked great. Just wish they made them in 200 grain.

They all fly good when tuned. I've got some three blade VPA's I want to try during turkey season.
Me 200.  A 200 grain would be very nice. [/b]
Eclipse Werewolves like a stinger on steroids. They come in a variety of weights.

Online Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Have hunted with and taken a variety of species with both and woodsman gets my vote.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
I've never shot the woodsman and I'm sure they are good heads going by the following on here. However I have shot the 4 blade Stinger for years now without a single complaint and just can't see myself needing to shoot anything else now adays. I've killed a bunch of critters with them several with the same head. They are tuff, durable, easily sharpened, stay sharp and fly like field points.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Stingers fly terrific for me.  Woodsman fly terrific too.

But, I've gone to the stingers.  And, even, finally, given up on the 4 blade in favor of the 2 blade.  

Don't know what it is, but I am not a good sharpening person.

So, the 2 blade stinger suits me.  It's within my inferior level of competence to maintain.

(I get a charge out of these folks who say how easy sharpening is, then tell me how to do it....  I've done it - and it ain't "scary sharp" on my shaft -  I  ain't got the go-juice to get-r-done.....).

Some day, after I retire, I'll try teaching myself how to sharpen, right after I get my brown thumb to turn green and stop killing all my trees I've been trying to grow.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
Agree with Onions, Woodsman are one of the easiest heads to sharpen..they make a nice big hole in a critter also.. that said Stingers are very sharp and kill a animal very quickly when put in the right spot.. like them both but would pick the Woodsman as my favorite head to hand sharpen/shoot.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
i have absolutely no faith in a 3 blade for elk so 4 blade stinger for me.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 04:46:00 AM »
It's kind of funny how when I first started in archery using a wheel bow, the Stingers were the head the bow shop guy said to use.

Over the years, I have tried a lot of different heads, even some mechanicals...(UGHH)

I ended upcoming back to the Stingers when I started shooting trad bows.

I now use the Grizzly single bevel two blade, but have killed a lot of critters with the Stinger.

Not shot the WWs much, but they are a good head, and I see a lot of folks using them on pigs.

Both are good, just whatever seems to work best in your setup, I guess.

As far as sharpening goes...I never could get a head sharp until I bought the KME, and then too it wasn't working for me at first.

Someone on here said "call Ron and talk to him".

"He will talk to you any time and for as long as you want...gets the unit in your hand while he's on the phone and walks you right through it."

I did, and that product WORKS once he tells you his method.

Irv
Irv Eichorst

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 07:10:00 AM »
If you have a problem getting them sharp then stingers all the way,,, woodsman are great but you need to get them sharp and file the tip a little if you want the broadhead like the woodsman that come razor sharp its VPA,, I think VPA beats them both because of the 1-pc design (for screw-ins) and they are not vented but I'm a big fan of stingers too.
"Us vs Them"

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
After taking game with both, the Woodsman get my vote. Yes I have to work a little to get them sharp but really like the blood trails so far.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
Also prefer Woodsman.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »
I love the Woodsman heads. I have been using Grizzlys but have a couple of woodsmans in the quiver now. One of the easiest heads for me to get sharp.RC

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
I have taken a lot of animals with the stingers, but I have never tried the woodsmans. Also, for the money, stingers are hard to beat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©