3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Brace height  (Read 578 times)

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Brace height
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
Hey all,
Got a  2015 58" Grizzly @ 55lb I'm trying to zero in the brace height on. BH is currently set at 8.5" (measured from the deepest part of the grip). No silencers at the moment while I'm playing with it.
I read somewhere that at proper BH on a recurve, the string groove will be just barely exposed from under the string when braced.
I see no exposed groove @ 8.5", which my 2015 Bear manual says is max of the range. Anyone have to go higher than that to find the sweet spot?  Any validity to the barely exposed groove theory?
Thanks
60% of the time,  it works every time

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Brace height
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I like and adhere to the barely exposed string groove formula:  as a starting point with a new to me bow.  Fine tune from there according to sound, performance and feel.  

FWIW, my early 70's Grizzly likes 8.0"; think the more recent version has a deeper grip and slightly more curve in the limbs so would guess 8.25-8.5" to be ideal range.

HTH
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
I run 8 inches on my old Griz. Don't know about the new ones
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:00 AM »
Just twisted up the string till I could barely see the string grooves,  BH from deepest part of grip is 9.125", way over factory specs. Kinda scared to shoot it that far out of spec.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:32:00 AM »
Side note,  when I started fooling with the BH, I was shooting with it set at 8.25". Adjusted BH down to 7.5 and went up from there,  2 twists at a time.  @ 8.5" it's way better than @ 7.5, but still feels off a bit.
And I thought trad was going to be sooo  much simpler than the gadgets on my old compound...

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
Mine is an early 70's as well and like the others I ended up st 8". Over 9"; Even on a new one I'd be a bit nervous with that big a brace height.
SWA Spyder

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:00 AM »
Hey Cris, I am waiting for a new 40# Grizzly from Bear right now.  I have already got some arrows ready, and am anxiously awaiting the new bow.  I started shooting a 50# Montana last year and was also surprised at how complicated this trad stuff can be.  I had a hard time tuning my Montana, but with some good advice from this sight I got it figured out.  For me,  trad seems less stressful when shooting.  I was always trying to blame shooting problems on my compound.  With the long bow I know that shooting problems are  form / user related which has translated into hundreds of more practice sessions.  I am brand new into this my self, but looking forward to the journey.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
I had a 2012 griz that I gave to a friend. I shot it a bunch before giving it away (good friend huh?) The sweet spot on that one was 8.25. My buddy shoots it at 8.5.  Good luck. I would say in specs just to be safe.

Sturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
In a lot of ways setting up a trad bow and arrows is much more complicated that wheelie tuning, but to me, the mastery of it is part of the fun
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
Wow,  yeah that must be a good buddy Sturm. I've been shooting it set at 8-3/8 for awhile,  gonna twist up to 8.5 and shoot there for awhile.
I do love the trad,  can't see myself going back to the wheelies anytime soon. I love the challenges it provides,  makes over coming them way more fun

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©