3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No longer looking for wood shafts- thanks guys  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
No longer looking for wood shafts- thanks guys
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
I have been out of the game for a few years now, and a recent gift from a friend (custom bow he had left as he can no longer make them) has gotten me back into it. I am going to make a set of arrows with him for this new bow, but I'm having a hard time finding good deals on bare wood shafts. Anyone one on here have some 55/60lb shafts laying around, or maybe know of a place that has a good sale going on? Prefer tapered, non hardwood, but willing to consider most

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No longer looking for wood shafts- thanks guys
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
The Douglas Fir shafting sold by Surewood Shafts is a really "good deal". They are always straight, consistently spined and within the specified weight range. They stain well and are durable to boot. I have bought dozens and have yet to get a single shaft that I was not pleased with.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Good old Port Orford cedar is hard to find and can be pricey, but Jim has you on the right track for good quality shafts at very fair prices.  

Many archers today are preferring Doug fir to other types.  Call Steve at Surewood and he will fix you up.

Just beware that making arrows can be addicting.
Lon Scott

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
I looked at them, seemed good. Shipping is pricey, but its that way with everyone and they are on the other side of the country from me. Guess I'm just having a hard time getting used to the fact that it costs as much now for the materials to make wood arrows now as it does for a dozen complete average quality carbons.

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
Also try Braveheart Archery. Fastest shipping around !

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
USPS had a price increase this last January. On average it cost me $14 to ship a dozen arrows insured. Shafts maybe a little cheaper if you use the priority tube.
You can't beat Surewood Shafts. They guys are top notch and their shafts are the best in Doug Fir. I have about 1500 of their shafts in different spines and weights.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
The Footed Shaft has bunch of old cedar shafts they are selling at a decent price...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
You probably won't find any super deals on quality wood shafts.  I too remember purchasing good  POC shafts for less than $20 a dozen, but those days are gone!

I make most of my shafts, but for the very best I buy from Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear.  Only because I can drive there in 10 minutes.  There are many other good sources of quality shafts who are also sponsors here.

IMO, the arrow is more important than the bow.  Just about any bow can be made to shoot well with a good matched arrow, but the very finest custom bow will perform poorly with a low quality arrow.

Do yourself a favor and spring for the best shafts out there.  They will pay you back over and over!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I have yet to have a problem finding and buying POC shafts.In my view, Rose City makes some pretty decent POC shafts. You can get them there, or supplies stores like Three Rivers, Kustom King, or others.

Wapiti makes some very good POC shafts too that are nice shooting.

I use shafts from all those listed and have great luck with them. All have proven very tough for POC, and very effective at the target or on the hunt. I dont know what else a guy needs. One thing I do recommend, is either buying them in group weights along with spine, or have the ability to weight and group them yourself.  In the case of the latter, you'd do best to buy bulk to insure enough matches to make your dozen(s).

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Call Paul Jalon. He will get you set up.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
In addition, Sitka Spruce, and Lodgepole shafts are nice. Look at the sponsors on the drop down from the Pow Wow forum (top center).
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »
personally i prefer sitka- strongest wood for its weight in the world- fact.
i like to use a light weight shaft- and then get the point weight up- creating my ideal hunting weight arrow- this leads to a very high F.O.C. really helps with everything!
only thing with spruce , if you want to stain- i believe the gel stains work very well- but i have had no problems with the thinners based stains.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Like Fuji, I love Sitka spruce shafts. A little lighter but tough as nails. Get one spine heavier and load the front with a heavy head. They sure stay nice and straight also!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Jay Massey preferred Sitka spruce. I just re-read his chapter on self arrows. He had only the best opinion of it. It's hard to believe it has been 24 years since volume 1 of TBB was published.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Lookup treekiller on here "Ron French" makes awesome Douglas fir wood arrows
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Obviously you can't  build good wood arrows for cheap anymore so I'm going to bite the bullet and buy quality shafts, shipping be damned. Looking at the Hildebrand hunter taper shafts. 23/64 shaft with 12 in tail taper to 5/16 and a 5in tip taper to 11/32. Not getting any response however, so my next hunt will be to find something similar elsewhere. Looked at the sure woods as my next option but they only offer tail taper near as I can tell and it's short

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Look at option #3 we offer point, nock, and tail taper, plus cut to length for $1.00/ shaft extra.  Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
Sent ya a pm Steve, thanks for replying to the post!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Since you stated originally you would consider suggestions, give the parallel shafts a try. They shoot just fine.

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Jim. I'm not a newby, just been away for a while and I'm well aware of both how parallels shoot and the debate over which is better. I just look at it as every natural material that can be used as it grows for arrows is tapered, every ancient arrow made was tapered. Tapered arrows have better recovery from paradox and somewhat increase FOC. Not to mention good quality parallel shafts are only marginally cheaper. If I could find good parallels a lot cheaper, I'd go with them, but since I have yet to find that I will go with tapered. These are just my opinions, not putting any others down

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©