3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's your thoughts on this gadget  (Read 2356 times)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your thoughts on this gadget
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
As with any new technology, it has its pros and cons. However, as for its use in the hunting realm, I have to give it a thumbs down. I don't even use my trail cams anymore. Want to succeed using my own scouting skills, as limited as they might be.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
Trailcams, binoculars, spotting scopes. This is not really much different.
Unless they mount bows or firearms to the drone.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
They have no place in hunting/scouting, and I hope state DNRs get out ahead on this issue.  Well, it's probably already too late.  Any drone I see hovering around me while I'm in the woods hunting is going to get my best effort to shoot it down.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Will you destroy trailcams to Orion?
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
IMHO drones are much different than trailcams, spotters, etc because they can fly up the drainage, over the ridge, and around the far side of the timber and then you have the ethics choice at that point. Trailcams are illegal in Mt. during hunting season BTW. It's all about fair chase and when you overcome a game animals eyes, ears, and nose maybe you need a look in the mirror.

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
I am on board with most here on this issue. It is another unethical method of hunting and has no place in our fair chase beliefs.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
I thinks someone mentioned that they would sometines rent a small plane to fly over tracks of land to scout for funnels etc.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
Whip, far worse than that.... will the drones include a gun ?   Why leave home in the cold and dark, shoot it from home.   First skwerls and such, then pigs and deer.  Next, shoot people from home......  You can see where this is going, and you can bet it will.
ChuckC

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Wow, AZ. We all draw the line somewhere, but binoculars and spotting scopes? It's a very unusual hunt where I don't have a good pair of binos around my neck. And, I can't picture sheep or goat hunting w/o a good scope.  Trailcams don't offend me either, but I can accept that the fact they are "electronic" and unmanned might change that judgement for some.  What about Google Earth? I use that for scouting a new area too.  Not pointing to you or anyone else in particular-just sayin' I wonder what others think of such things.  

"Slippery Slope" is a buzz phrase.  Stepping on one is an individual choice...USUALLY!
Tom

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
In a recent newsletter from Az. Game and Fish drones were addressed. Basically what goes for using any aircraft for scouting applies. Same rules. No taking of game using a drone either. They are pretty adamant about it. Using a drone to harass wildlife will also bring you a heavy fine. The word "harrassment " can mean just being in the area of the wildlife.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Every time a new piece of technology comes on the scene there are those who like it and those who hate it. My grandfather hated binoculars, you used your eyes. And if you couldn't  see far enough you got closer. My dad hated carbon arrows. I use binoculars a spotting scope and carbon arrows. I have never used a trail cam, and won't use a drone to scout with. All those maps and satellite images we use for hunting. We accept some tech, and later we accept other tech. I think a drone recording my adventures so I can rewatch it would be great. I don't care of some one uses it to fly up a ridge line to look at what's up there. Any more than a guy with a fishfinder looking for bass. I will hunt how I always have. Successfully or not.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
We have clearly outlawed them in Colorado.  I don't know of a single hunting organisation that spoke in favor of allowing drones to aid in hunting.  Nor am I aware of any industry activists who promoted the use of them.

One reason It was easy, IMO, is that we jumped on it right up front.  There was no organized resistance.  I do think we would have prevailed even in the face of opposition, but nevertheless it's still another potential issue if it's allowed to grow.

Wildlife regulation is done by various methods in different states.  If this becomes an issue in states where all regulations are set by your legislature, you will have to fight this in the playground of experienced lobbyists.  It behooves all of us to take action immediately before commercial interests latch onto a drone marketing plan for sportsmen and turn it into an uphill battle.

In my state the two biggest equipment issues that just won't die are the desire to use crossbows in the archery season and the liberalization of muzzle loader limitations.  The pressure is almost exclusively from industry.  Makers and sellers.

Just saying, don't let it come to that!

This has nothing to do with the drone/privacy issues.  Those need to be dealt with separately.

I'm not against "things".  Just think the when and how of their use sometimes needs to be regulated.

Some police and search and rescue outfits are using them in Colorado to good effect.  Might not be a good idea to shoot them on sight
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
To me the use of a drone in scouting/hunting is the same as being in a helocopter or airplane to do the same....or using a cell phone to scout and tell others where the animals are located in near real time.

I use scouting cameras to get an idea of what is on the property but typically only check them once a month....definitely not timely when it comes to actual hunting.

Drones...the crossman air-speargun...etc...all just watering down what it means to be a bowhunter as money and marketing make what is NOT a bow a bow...and then the states follow...and before you know it we no longer are seen as doing it the hard way.  Kind of like how modern muzzleloaders (Jim Shockey) have ruined the early blackpowder seasons for those of us that use iron sights and stuff them with conicals or balls with patches and loose powder.  When a "muzzleloader" can shoot accurately out to 250 yards every time with little regard to weather or distance when using modern propellants, sabots, rifle scopes, shotgun primers, etc....then it is little more than a single shot rifle.
I hope there are always those that put the challenge in both equipment and personal limitations above a kill count or social media glory.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
A few years ago, I locked horns with a local state congressman over the crossbow issue.  You have to wonder how someone that has never so much as fired a bb gun would be so pro-crossbow and satellite linked game cameras.  Drones are already in use around here, the guys who have them, think that they are big stuff and have threatened to run deer away from me if they can with their drones.  It has been done before with four wheelers.  It is illegal to call someone with a cell phone and tell someone else that you see deer.  All of these digital conveyances are breaking the same rule.  If there is enough money behind it, state legislators will look the other way and let it happen.  Hunters are becoming a lazy bunch, that laziness and inability to accept a challenge will end hunting.  Think of it this way, if all you like to do is sit on your butt and play with gadgets, why not just stay home and play video games.

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
As a side note, all trad hunters should have a couple of wood shoot away blunts with them.  If they do ever start buzzing me or deer near me with a drone, I will do my best to shoot it down.

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
I wanted to say a few things about these drones. Something nobody has mentioned so far is that most hunting shows these days are filmed with drones and this has been going on for some time!
Also, I am against these drones being used for hunting. Like a lot of hunters are recognizing here; manufacturers are making it easier and easier every year. Somewhere along the line you have to make a stand and say enough is enough! Just my two cents!

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
I dont know, maybe its just me. I dont see how a drone could give any real details that I need for scouting. Its easy enough to miss key details while standing very near with my own 2 eyes. They could be used to find an area such as bottleneck funnels, but honestly for free I can just as easily use google maps satellite images for that. Personally,  the use of them drones for scouting any real amount of quality spots in my area would be extremely slim. I might not be against using them, if they were truly a tool I could use to better what i already have and use....but i just dont see them as better, and just the opposite actually. Nothing, and I mean nothing can replace me being in an area in person picking a spot out. At least 50% of my decision for a particular stand placement  that i choose, is made from the rush of adrenaline I get when im in a hot area. The other 50% that leads me to make that decision is my eyes and brain. Drones just cant replace that.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
I've been followed by a drone on Forest Service property - public land. It is a strangely creepy feeling. It is a Voyeur without an identity.

To harass man or beast on public property with no identity is a creepy thing to do. It may just be my opinion, but put yourself on the receiving end.

Terry K.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Drone battery dies in about 22 minutes.

I studied them for about 6 months. Then the feds stepped in to make a buck on registering them. Not me.

About that destroying the trail camera question...if its on my property it will be destroyed. I will also dig one out of one of my drawers and post it to catch the trespasser who put it out.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Ron,

Make sure your son registers with the FAA (costs $5).  If you haven' and they or local LEOs catch you it's up to $250,000 fine.  Anything over 0.55 pounds you need to be registered.

I fly good sized r/c fixed wing (up to 85" wingspan, 20# with 43cc gasoline engines) and I have a couple small "drones", but the ones I have are tiny.  I'm neutral on their use for spotting as long as they are not used in season.  It has been demonstrated that they stress game - even brown bears.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©