3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's your thoughts on this gadget  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your thoughts on this gadget
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
They have made illegal here in Saskatchewan.  great call on UAV's for anything related to hunting by gov't.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
I can see them for the checking on trespassers on your land. I have the same problem here, but won't be buying a drone.
Too much of a tight wad and Luddite. Probably should buy a cell phone first...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
It's not  just scouting. Imagine, X-gun hunter watches a deer bed in a briar thicket 200 yards away. Up goes the drone. Buzzing, herding the deer toward the "hunter". Jay Campbell, or maybe it was Don Thomas wrote about a bush pilot buzzing their hunting party, scaring bear/moose/caribou toward his own(the pilots) hunting party. Lotsa not so nice hunters out there.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
The issues with the FAA have been hit on. Make sure you're registered and be prepared to defend the favt that you are notnusing it for commercial/profit use.  (The big hangup right now, as I understand it, it using them for anything other than personal use.)
I live in the cornbelt, were big-ag rules. They're getting bery popular here for crop scouting and GIS purposes but so far it's legal for a farmer to buy one and use it but hiring a "consultant" to use on on your propertt is illegal. (I'm sure this is ignored by some or many.)
There was even a stink while I lived in Ga about the FAA not allowing the use of drones for a Search & Rescue attempt.

I think the issue will eventually self-regulate itself. Long range shooting (rifles) is something I enjoy. There are folks who enjoy hunting that way as well. I do not know where I draw the line, but "hunting" a doe or buck at 600-1000yrds away isn't really hunting to me.  Using spotting scopes to glass a ridgeline and then plan a stalk is something I'd do.

I think using drones to hunt will be the same way. Some will use them like farmers to scout the land in off-season. Some will use them like a spotting scope to plan a stalk. Some will use them like a twisted form of Search & Rescue to pinpoint game's location.  

In the end, I seldom favor regulating things. SIMPLY because I've watched my government try to regulate EVERYTHING and they do a pretty bang-up job of being silly and ineffective. (No anarchist here, I just think the solution must stem from the hearts of men, not a "regulation" that becomes another layer in dance of cat-and-mouse.)

P.S. There is a 250cc 2-cylinder "drone" that Japan has had for years. They use it crop-dusting the small rice patties. It's has an empressive payload and something like a 9' wingspan. It use to run about $100,00 base.......if you got permission from the Japanese government. (Since it can obviously be weaponized) Georgia Tech has/had one I believe.)

In the end, I think it will be much like the long-range hunting. Some wilk be drawn to it and some will have no desire to go "that way" with things.
Micah 6:8

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Hunting in todays world for the most part is a wildlife management tool, how do we want to accomplish it?.  I don't use any electronics ,the most tech advancement I use are binoculars, no tree stand anymore just a leafy type gillie a bow and arrow I made myself and my own physical and mental abilities.I have had success,enough to keep my passion alive, but that's just me,others have different views some I respect others I don't. Why do you hunt?, If its just to kill than yes there are optimal ways of doing it but remember this is a regulated activity and for good reason. What will happen to what we hunt if its as easy as going to the grocery store. I'm more concerned for the wildlife and habitat being  preserved.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Soilarch, I see your point on regulation and agree to a great extent.  However, regulations are also a statement.  Not only to the hunting community, but to the non hunting community.

It's a statement of what we as a group consider ethical.  Enshrining ethics in law is a touchy thing but we have done it over and over, mostly to good effect.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Soilarch, I see your point on regulation and agree to a great extent.  However, regulations are also a statement.  Not only to the hunting community, but to the non hunting community.

It's a statement of what we as a group consider ethical.  Enshrining ethics in law is a touchy thing but we have done it over and over, mostly to good effect.
Agreed. We as a society have made many, and should make, statements. I'm on board with most of them. Our Constitution is a document I consider rivaled by very few in history.
When I used the term "regulation" (and when I speak of it in a negative tone) I'm more specifically recalling things like the FDA saying it's illegal for me to sell milk to my neighbors.  Telling me my name must go on a registry to by ANY firearm, the manipulation of commodity prices, how I can install a septic tank when I live in a 40 acre pasture, etc.

The FFA's "statement" at my last checking, is that I can't buy a 5oz drone and use it to provide a service to my neighbor.
Micah 6:8

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
They open the door to a lot of options for abuse. I love hiking in the woods. Dislike hearing or seeing any man made sounds.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
I get you 100%, Soilarch.  You and I are very much in agreement.

Wish I lived in the middle of 40 acres.
Monterey

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Let's not forget about the push by big business to use drones.  Amazon for instance is pushing hard for immediate delivery of their products. IF that were to ever happen, which they are certainly throwing a BUNCH of money at, what would that mean for private property, public land, national parks, etc.?They are talking about flying 200-400 feet in a new "delivery zone"!  Does the low airspace over our private property now become public domain?  Will there be thousands of little drones buzzing around delivering batteries and diapers?   If this were to happen wouldn't the things discussed here become pretty minimal in comparison?  Who would take the time to monitor those using them for ill hunting gain when there are so many others in the air??   This is truly a slippery slope that "big money" is already deep into making happen on a scary scale!!           https://www.yahoo.com/tech/exclusive-amazon-reveals-details-about-1343951725436982.html  

What are we becoming?  This guy talks about a kids toy needing batteries and how easy it would be to just have some dropped off by a drone delivery. Really???   Have we become that lazy and sedintary?  Back in my day that was called getting off your butt, WALKING out the door and "running to the store".  Do we really need it to be quicker than that???
Hmmmmmm.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
Some of the area I hunt. Is that a trespasser down there?    :mad:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
Sure looks like a human figure!
Monterey

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
as technology is made available via new inventions for public use, the onus of safety responsibility falls on the public initially, and sooner or later the gubmint will step in to, er, "regulate" how the technology is designed and used by whom, and where, and when, and how - for our "protection" of course.

i have been flying sport "drones" (or UAV's) for over 3 decades.  r/c craft is nothing new, and has been under the public radar for many decades for the most part.  after the advent of its use in warfare, and with lotsa media coverage, r/c UAV craft are ever more in the forefront and news.  for less than $40 anyone can be a "drone pilot".  woo hoo.

like gun control and too many other "critical matters", the feds are licking their chops at other ways to both fuel the white house and keep tabs on us all.  

as already mentioned, all flying craft (no matter how they fly or how they are powered) over 8ozs are right now required by the FAA to be registered.  this is clearly about making a buck for the feds as AMA members already are nationally registered and the feds already know who we are and where we live (i have been AMA #51668 since the 60's).

so how do UAV's fit in with trad bowhunting - and should they?  

for scouting sans weapons - sure, IF you know what yer doing and are a qualified pilot.  

but when on the hunt, definitely NO.  

but that's just my opinion, and getting an FAA registration doesn't mean the registrant knows squat about properly piloting an UAV, particularly those craft with FPV capabilities.  but y'all just wait, because waiting in the wings will be mandatory FLIGHT licensing for all UAV pilots, no matter how large or small.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
Don't care for drones.  I'm sure they have some good, legitimate uses but I think the "bad" uses will ultimately overshadow their benefits and leave regret of their existence.  Don't see myself ever using them or being all that keen on them.  Just my opinion.  I won't begrudge anyone who thinks differently.

Tom

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by mt-tom:
Don't care for drones.  I'm sure they have some good, legitimate uses but I think the "bad" uses will ultimately overshadow their benefits and leave regret of their existence.  Don't see myself ever using them or being all that keen on them.  Just my opinion.  I won't begrudge anyone who thinks differently.

Tom
i kinda agree.  it's all about "intent".  there's difference in building and flying model aircraft for fun and craftsmanship as opposed to buying such craft ready made with a specific task in mind that's beyond the fascination of flight.  one is for joy, the other is for a work task.  two very different intents, and goals.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
My only concerns about them is their use by hunters who are actively pursuing game.  Other than that, I'm indifferent.  Not expecting to be stalked or spied upon.  Have only seen one actually being used and that was in a local park.  Seemed pretty innocuous.

Certainly agree on the government over reach on regulation and licensing.  My grandson has one that he fly's around inside the house.  Probably doesn't hit the eight ounce threshold but probably comes close.

Registering drones is certainly not going to prevent misuse.  I. Think it's hilarious that the FAA needs several years to come up with comprehensive regulations but they were able to leap to a $5 registration fee overnight!
Monterey

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »
looking forward to my first "traditional" drone kill...12 gauge with a turkey choke tube might even work...I'll definitely shoot one down if it gets in range...sorry I'm a bit too backwoods to tolerate drones in hunting areas...

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Just one more nail in the coffin of the outdoor experience.  

In a word, NO!
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
I see 2 major faults with them.

1. They are very annoying to those who don't share
   enthusiasm for them.

2. It allows others, both government and
   private individuals, to spy on us.
Sam

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
as a "scouting" vehicle, there is promise of what it can do with minimum human effort.  a good UAV with FPV can navigate and capture bird's eye view HD video of terrain for miles.  there may be instances, but not many, where this will be of very good value.  what will be most important are pilot skills and good weather.  

pilot skills are EXTREMELY important.  the only difference between flying any UAV and a real aircraft is actually being in the cockpit with yer hands on the controls.  both can crash and burn, and both of those scenarios can have dire consequences.  this is something to take very seriously.  

for a grand or so anyone can buy a ready-to-fly quad copter UAV-FPV with HD video capability.  there are no piloting skills required for the purchase.  this is a total disaster ready to happen, and i've seen that play out too many times already ...  

as a "recovery" vehicle for spotting downed game or tracking wounded game, it would take extremely special circumstances for that to be viable.  there are far too many factors involved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©