3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's your thoughts on this gadget  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your thoughts on this gadget
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
On a few occasions I've climbed trees to get a better view when looking for a critter when the blood trail failed me. I can't recall a time when that worked though...usually a desperation move.

I know that some states don't allow electronics to be used to aid in a hunt. Some innocently break this rule when they call a buddy on the cell phone, "One's headed your way."  My son called me about 6-years ago to tell me that very thing. However, I wasn't hunting. My tags were filled and I was sitting in a blind, just enjoying firearms opening day with my grandson while his dad hunted.  The deer passed me at 40 yards -- yep a VERY big one. He passed my son's stand about 5 minutes before legal shooting time.

I'm not too concerned about this, again, because the battery life is so brief they aren't very practical.

I see no difference, if used for scouting, than putting out cameras to scout deer or time lapse food plots. As long as one keeps to the air space on their own property, or at least property they have permission to use them.

I don't think they should be used, by the public, on public land.

I like the idea of a CO using them to find poachers in areas they aren't supposed to be, such as refuges.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »
I think they are pretty cool contractions, and might be a lot of fun to play with....

But... if these things start get used during hunting season for finding game animals, or there is an invasion of privacy issue...  We should have an open season on them......

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
I will immediately build some Drone Floos. I wonder which head to use?
Oh that's another thread.

god bless, Steve

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
Steve,

I think Magnus Bullheads or Zwickey Kondors would do the trick!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
In most states I have hunted (not sure about all) we could not use 2-way radios to assist in locating and hunting game animals.  

I have often wondered about the use of trail cams. . .  and now drones.

I actually wish they would regulate most electro- techno stuff illegal for pursuit of game.  And if I actually had a say/vote- I would vote against trail cams- at least minimally during open hunting seasons. With new tech, a guy can literally sit in his stand and get live feeds on his phone from his cameras.  

Its never going to happen. . .  just my 2C opinion.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
I feel it should be illegal to use them to spot game on the same day you hunt them. Like the rule in other areas that you cant hunt within 24 hours of your fly-in. Same way with drones.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
I didn't read all of the replies.  In Alberta it's illegal to use electronic devices to communicate the location of game to other hunters.  It's illegal to use aircraft for spotting purpose.  I think that leaves it pretty cut and dried....not legal for hunting.  I'm sure legions of younger hunters will use them for hunting purposes though, there's always cheaters in the crowd.

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
I don't believe it much matters what we think about gadgets, its what we do in the field that counts. Depending on gadgets for hunting with traditional gear while at the same time professing to be in it for the challenge and simplicity is a hollow claim.  Archery and hunting in general will be what we, as hunters and ethical sportsmen, make it.  And just because it's legal doesn't mean doing it is in the best interests of the sport, now or in the future.

I respect those who at least try to make hunting a fair-chase affair but unfortunately I don't believe that battle is being won in the general sense.  The very fact that we're discussing whether mechanical drones qualify as an acceptable hunting tool underlines the point.

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
My opinion is that if your a farmer or land owner and want to check crops, livestock, or in your case check for trespassers it's all good. As far as checking for scouting for game, people will always find the easiest way out of doing work. We {unfortunately} live in a world of instant gratification and reward. I own a trail camera and have never set it out, heck I don't even scout for deer, I enjoy picking a spot and if nothing I go find them. Don't agree with using cameras and drones but then again it's not me using them. I just enjoy being in the woods!
Aim small miss small

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2016, 06:04:00 AM »
"REALITY CHECK in drone aisle 101, please!"

intent - getting real with regards to hunting, at the very best a UAV/FPV drone might be used for off-season scouting in good weather, and perhaps some extreme emergency task (in good weather/daylight).  that's about it.  

cost - a UAV/FPV aircraft with an HD camera that's capable of long distance travel is not cheap and will easily cost $1k and typically LOTS more.  cheap UAV/FPV's are junk and not worthy of what's required for scouting tasks.

qualification - the bottom line with using any manner of UAV/FPV drone for any manner of task will ALWAYS come down to learning and exhibiting good piloting skills.  this will take time - a LOT of time - and maybe more money spent on crash repairs. the FPV skills alone that are associated with a UAV go way beyond flying most r/c model aircraft (which alone, is not easy).  this UAV/FPV drone thing is simply a job that's not for everyone - just ask the military.  

dedication - most folks will not have the time required to proficiently learn how to fly r/c aircraft for the kind of long distance tasks associated with scouting, nor the time to practice that skill on a very regular basis. that's why there are professional UAV/FPV drone pilots who fly for a living, either with the military or for hire for special photographic events or movies.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2016, 07:58:00 AM »
In the pre-compound era we all shot archery.  We had to dig up a word to distinguish ourselves from the compound shooter so the word "traditional" came about. Hence "trad-gang". If all the changes and so called advancements in archery had not been made we would be on "archery gang" but changes and inventions were made so "trad gang" it is.

This is just another form of those changes.  What archers really need to be concerned about is this new "airgun" that has been re-introduced.

As far as the drone goes, I would have one if I could figure out how to turn the thing on!!!!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2016, 08:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
In the pre-compound era we all shot archery.  We had to dig up a word to distinguish ourselves from the compound shooter so the word "traditional" came about. Hence "trad-gang". If all the changes and so called advancements in archery had not been made we would be on "archery gang" but changes and inventions were made so "trad gang" it is.

you can take that back a step or two 'cause back about 60 or 70 years or so ago there was the composite wood/glass bow that came on the scene to radically change the face of self-bow archery.  there will always be changes.  it's how we face them and deal with them that matters most.

This is just another form of those changes.  What archers really need to be concerned about is this new "airgun" that has been re-introduced.

that is not a "bow" of any kind because no levers or bowstrings are involved - it's a projectile GUN, pure and simple.  if the law and rule makers can't understand that, we need to vote those idiots out of public office for they serve no useful purpose and actually are a detriment to society and the hunters in our country.

As far as the drone goes, I would have one if I could figure out how to turn the thing on!!!!

clearly then, you are not a candidate for r/c pilot ground school, leave them durn things alone!      :D      

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
Rob, At my age I wouldn't even attempt to learn how to run one of them things although I think they are pretty neat gadgets. Our friends out west have one to learn metal detecting sites on the desert and it works good for that.

My dad closed up the archery shop in 1968. That is where my thoughts on trad archery is coming from.  I remember dad saying one time when he noticed all the changes coming about, "we are our own worst enemy".  Dad wasn't too far off.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
r/c aircraft are fun gadgets/toys for sure.  making them do real "work" is a whole 'nother story and typically outside the realm of just havin' casual "fun".

my dad made me my first lemmonwood longbow back in the early 50's.  that's all everybody had out at the range or in the field.  there was NO archery media other than the movies or yer local archery or sports store, if ya had one.  we were amazed to see those york thunderbolt composite recurves at the l.e. stemmler store out on long island ... just blew us away!  there ya go, "progress".  we just hadda have one of those zip gun bows, which lead to other bad bow choices down the years.  in the last 3 decades i've come around almost full circle with my composite longbows.  life's still good.  it's all about choices.  chose well.   ;)

Online TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Archery gadgeteers are always pitching their 'Lazy Arse' hybrid apples and tempting us to take a big bite.  The catch is you need to sell your hunting soul to buy one.  

Go ahead and fill your face if that's what appeals to you, just don't complain if in you end up with a belly ache in the gadget crapper.  These things tend to run their course, and it ain't pretty.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
I myself go out of my way to find areas to hunt where there are no cars, ATVs, or motorcycles . I don't need little flying cameras spoiling my time in the woods.  I may not be able to put that cork back in the bottle, but I don't have to pour from it. just my thoughts
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
So, I can mount an arrow airgun on my drone, have my cellphone trailcam tell me when that 180 is in the area, launch my drone remotely, trail it with my HD cam, and know where he died about the time I roll up in my truck with heated seats.  Any way to get the drone to field dress and load the deer too?  Dang I love hunting.

I am absolutely positive someone is working on just such a thing.

As for the money thing, I've seen guys drive 1000 miles in their 12 MPG 4x4's and spend thousands on rifles to turn a prairie dog colony into a crimson mist from 100s of yards.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
So, I can mount an arrow airgun on my drone, have my cellphone trailcam tell me when that 180 is in the area, launch my drone remotely, trail it with my HD cam, and know where he died about the time I roll up in my truck with heated seats.  ...
that is correct, sir - yer own personal military predator drone. and though it will be illegal, you can legally buy all the parts to build that personal predator.  and it will work quite effectively - as long as you have the required piloting skills.  it's a crazy world that's just getting crazier as some technologies just want to put us all underground for that long dirt nap.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:

I am absolutely positive someone is working on just such a thing.
Shoot...they already tried it in Texas a while back!  With drones it would be a lot easier.  Would not be surprised to see it come up again!!  
  http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/mike-schoby/2007/09/remote-control-hunting

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/1005010612
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
Years ago I was listening to a professional deer hunter give a program at a bowhunting club that was mostly compound shooters. The fellow started by saying that the first thing you should do is fly over the area to determine the bedding areas, feeding areas and choke points. My first thought was "Is he kidding?" During the question and answer period I ask him if he ever listened to the birds and squirrels to determine the movement of deer? He sort of shrugged and said that he didn't pay much attention to them. I believe that he is missing something.

Not only will drones be used for scounting, I believe Ron that they will be used for driving deer to the hunter. I can envision several drones with intimidating lights and noise driving deer toward a line of shooters..., probably with crossbows or shotguns. Hopefully laws will help to prevent that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©