3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: limb failure  (Read 560 times)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
limb failure
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
I bought a set of 60 Lb limbs for my Sage a couple of years ago and the upper limb failed yesterday (while at full draw). I bought the limbs from 3Rivers but they only warrant them for a year. Does anyone know if Samick has a factory warrantee that would cover a new limb?
I've tried to email Samick Sports and my emails keep getting bounced back to me.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb failure
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Read on another site Samick is having some issues. May explain you bounce backs. I read their line up is changing as well. Good luck

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
Had a limb separate on a samick one piece a few years ago.  No warranty for me.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
Major bummer!!! Sorry to hear. Good luck.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
Some failures have been seen with poundage over 50#.
Nothing in the lesser weights.
Regardless it is an issue for you regardless of the experience of othrrs.
Maybe look at a different limb that will fit your riser as a replacement.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
I had an experience very similar early on when I first started getting into trad.  My customer service experience was very poor unfortunately.  I hope your outcome is much better. There was no warranty offering, or any customer service for that matter, to me.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
I wish this thread was on another site for them to read. I mentioned staying away from cheap Samick junk and got jumped for it.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
I seriously doubt that you are going to get anything more than the one year warranty on a $150 production bow!!!

It sucks when bows break, but it just happens sometimes. Glad you were not hurt.

Bisch

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 11:26:00 PM »
Expecting longer warranty from a $150 bow (they offer 1 year and normally honor that)is a little far fetched.
$150 is the minimum deposit what most domestic bow builders require. That means it covers the cost of materials.
On the other hand, Samick mass produces bows and at a 2-3% failure rate, this is of course many more bows than a small custom shop will ever have.
Building bows is a little more than just gluing pieces of wood and fiberglas together and while you glue the bow up, you need to work very clean, quick and thorough.
@50#+ the lamination quality starts to come into play as well and that is often not the case with cheaper production bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Build quite a few bows, Roland?

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
I'll just chalk this one up to experience. I might buy another set of limbs in the same weight or hold out until I can get the finances together for a Trinity longbow. I've been talking to Edward about that for a couple of years now. Problem is that I shoot the Sage really well!

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Most Samick bows are copies of well known production bows. Overall they build a good bow for the money. In my opinion, they should not offer anything above 50# draw weight, as bow breaks can hurt bad.

I built a few bows, which are far more complicated to lay up than a regular recurve limb. It is also a highly curved one piece bow that has interior wedges which need to be placed accurately. It takes me an hour of preparation and about 50 minutes to get that bow into its form.

Those mass produced TD recurves are built in a huge form and then sawn out and ground. Nock grooves are cut in with a machine, that's why they always have sharp edges.

I have a good friend that builds custom bow since 1960, and I would say he has sold about 6800 up to date or so. I saw failed experimental limbs for example using exotic short fibred veneers, but these libs all failed for the geometry he uses. That's why he limits recurve limbs to Action wood, Maple, Osage and Bamboo under the color glass you want. Works out well for him, as he hardly has any real warranty cases. Customers who twist their limbs badly during stringing and then pull the bow and break them happens sometimes, but this is not the error of the bowyer, even though he is normally very courteous in these cases. More courteous than I would probably be....

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey Charles....have you thought about hitting up the classifieds for a used bow?  I know you would be able to find something great that you can depend on at a huge discount over a new build.  You would know that it structurally sound as it has been thoroughly tested!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I've pulled multiple bows from multiple bow manufacturers. Factory made bows and customs. Custom bowlers in the states typically work with you as long as you didn't break it stringing with out a stringer. Factory bows wether overseas made or states made typically have a short warranty period. The custom bows that I have broken have been while drawing and have never had a problem. They are typically very sorry and wonder as much as you do why it broke. They usually want it back to study it to prevent from happening again. Just a much better people to work with. Hope this helps.
St. Joe River Bows

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
SKITCH, I would consider a used bow, but I have shot all of Edward's (Trinity Bows) models and have shot 3D with him on a couple of occasions, plus we are talking about a semi custom design and he will take part of the cost in trade for some of my carving work. Kind of a win, win, for both of us. I've also shot with Norm of Blacktail bows and really like his new longbow but there is just something about the Trinity bows that I like, and that likes me!

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Get a Bodnik next time, 30 year warranty.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
You won't regret the Trinity. I hunt exclusively with Edward's 60" Falcon and have no regrets. I keep a Samick Sage on hand for bowfishing and a back-up hunting bow but there is no comparison in quality and customer service between the two. Edward, as you know, is top notch.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©