3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunting thread  (Read 1254 times)

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunting thread
« on: February 09, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
I know there is a lot of different approaches to turkey hunting with a traditional bow. There are hunting blind hunters and there are open hunters (not in a blind). I want everyone option and possible setups for this turkey season. Any and all information will be appreciated.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunting thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
I have taken them from ground blinds, popup blinds, stalking and ambushing. It can all work, but blinds make the job easier. Stalking them is my preferred method, but I have blown way more stalks than I have killed turkeys. It is all fun, and with the new pot call that I just got from RW Mackey, I will probably do more sitting and calling this spring.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
What blinds and bow setups do y'all use?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »
I have an outhouse blind, but it is too small to draw a Longbow in.  So, I have a piece of light weight material in the pack that can be used to throw up a makeshift blind.  Use the same thing for deer and elk hunting.

I've yet to take a turkey with a bow but this year I'm feeling it!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »
I use a big mike. It is very tall and works good. The rest of my set up doesn't really change from what I deer hunt with.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Out west these Merriam's are pretty much a walk and talk proposition.  No such thing as a "roost tree".  If they use the same tree more than a couple times, that's unusual.

Anybody else going after Colorado turkeys?
Monterey

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
I have a cheap doghouse blind that was like 25 bucks. Also just burlap blinds. This will be my first time really chasing them with my twig. I will be using my 58" thunderstick mag 50@27.

I'm excited!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
I like to hunt them out of blinds.  I haven't killed one with traditional yet, but there is lots of snow in the high country, which translates to good turkey hunting in my spot.  Good snow means that we have to walk about 5 miles to get to our spot, but we will be the only ones there.  My buddy has shot 2 with his recurve in the last 3 years.   I have a ameristep mountaineer which worked great for my compound, but had to put it up on logs last year to be able to draw my long bow.  I just got a 40# Grizzly just for turkeys out of blinds.  We hunt with 2 hen decoys and a taxidermy jake, and have not had a tom pass us up if he sees the set up.  Turkeys start here in Colorado in the first week of April.  Pray for snow!!!
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
The Primos Clubhouse XXL is what I have for my 56-60" recurves.

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
I've taken them with popups and camo net half blinds. I believe good decoys are paramount. My favorites are an Avian X hen and jake. Pryor having the real Jake is extremely lucky, I bet it works great.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Pryor, what qtr of the state do you Hunt?
Monterey

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Monterey, I am in Grand Junction.  I usually hunt the Grand Mesa.  It is amazing how much snow turkeys will put up with.  We usually hunt above the snow line on sunny hill sides where the snow has melted off.  Birds love scraping around in the oak brush. When there is not enough snow to keep people out, we Float the Colorado river and find birds along the way.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Check out turkey reapers on utube. I plan on trying that, my buddies started the show and have great success!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Here's my set up. Primos Smack-Down blind, funky chicken decoy's, string tracker

Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
I've heard it's good on the Mesa.  

Last year I send to the four corners area and found it to be much better than the front range areas.  In the middle of making a set of arrows just for the Turks.

Good luck.  Hope you have success.
Monterey

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
I have seen those funky chickens before, but never had a chance to use one.  My Jake decoy is in pretty rough shape from all the turkey fights, this might be his last year.  The funky chicken looks like a good idea, and easy to pack too.
  Have you guys had good success with them.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
I picked up a few decoys this winter. I now have an avian X Jake and breeder hen.  I am terrible at turkey hunting but 2 years ago I called in turkeys to 2 different hunters.  Last year, I never even heard a gobble within a mile. Saw a  couple jakes who had no interest in me or my Flambeau decoy.

I have a  ground Blind now, not sure of the brand but its pretty roomy with corner windows that drop low enough to shoot out of.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
Have been fortunate to have successfully arrowed and harvested 33 birds. Note: there are others that have experienced more than twice the success.

Have missed twice as many.

Birds have been harvested by numerous methods as some were predicated on opportunity. By far,my most consistent method, has been utilizing a Double Bull blind...blinds that I have used since approximately 1991.

One primary advantage is learn to be able to adapt to the hunting conditions and the birds current movements and responses.

It is often difficult to pursue a critter that ,itself, doesn't even know what it is going to do next.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Pryor how high is the Grand Messa? Are your birds over 7000 feet? The last two seasons the birds I hunt have not started gobbling until the season is over in mid May. It has been cold and waist high drifts on the wooded ridges and draws. I hunt around 7500 feet and I hope it has just been unusual years but the birds have not been active durning the season.
I mostly use one decoy and a run and gun approach. Find a gobbler who wants to talk and move in set up with what ever cover available and call them to me no blind to heavey. I have missed more birds this way than I wish to say. It works if I do my part and make the shot.
What my turkey hunting country looks like in Apr.

How I get back in on the closed roads

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
Jack, you must be hunting the Laramie range. I hunt the lowlands east of the Bighorns, but I have seen turkeys numerous times above 8000 feet. I may do some of that high country hunting sometime. Different from hunting creek bottoms.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©