3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Surgery  (Read 1069 times)

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Rotator Cuff Surgery
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
I'm having rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder which is my bow holding shoulder.  I'm also going to have the left side AC joint tuned up.

For those of you that have been through this, what am I looking at for recovery?  I know everyone is different.  I'm very motivated to recover as quickly as possible.  Big Hunt in late November.

How soon could you begin to shoot again with a light bow?

Thanks,

BT

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
I had mine done last September and I'm shooting 50# bows right now. GO to your physical therapy and stick with it. I did'nt find my surgery all that painful,the worst part was the couple of weeks that I had to sleep in a chair because of the sling. Don't rush it and you'll be fine for your hunt.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
Just had that surgery last Wednesday, seen doctor today and she told me 4 to 6 months before I could shoot a bow. Agree on sleeping in a chair, going on 7 nights now and it's a pain. I only have to wear the sling when I sleep now, start PT next week.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Try prolotherapy first.  There is a reason the pro athletes are using it more and more.  I had my prolo of 100 shots in both shoulders last week.  Should be good in 6-10 weeks.  Great, non-invasive, and highly successful.  Solved a number of other joint injuries with it.  Works.

My 2 C
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
I went to my pre-op doctor's visit today for this same type work. I was told that I will be in a sling for about six weeks. Physical therapy can be a real undertaking. I was told that I should be able to shoot archery again, but it is possible that my hunting weight may have to be greatly reduced. It may be some months before I can again pick up a bow. Maybe we can get together and cry in our beer together. Good luck!
Sam

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
I'm already crying Sam.  I have trip insurance for the November trip.  Guess If I have to bail, I'll get my money back.

Antelope hunt in Aug. but I'm betting I can shoot a 40# longbow by then.

My Doc seems to think I'll be fine come hunt time.  I sure hope so.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
I had mine done in January back in 2005.  I was back shooting well enough to shoot in 3d tournaments by June of that year, but I was quite religious about the PT.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
I've been avoiding shoulder surgery for several months now for that very reason. Even debated shooting a compound through turkey season just to get it over with now. Something is gonna have to be done....but man I dread it.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline nipperlud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
I just had mine done onJanuary 29th.. I do not have a recliner but I recommend you get one. I am told no theraphy until after 6 weeks. I am still having pain and very sore. I am hoping by at least june to start shooting again. Good luck
cl

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
BT, had my rotator operated on at age 64 16 months ago,  Here's my experience, your going in fitness level and lifestyle have a huge impact on recovery, PT was the key to recovery, positive mental outlook was huge, I was shooting a light bow after 10 weeks. Post surgery pain was not an issue, being in a sling for 6 weeks was a challenge in terms of sleeping. Good luck, be positive!  Mark
"They're all trophies"

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
I can't answer your question, but hope you have a quick and full recovery!

Bisch

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Hey BT. I've had three rotator cuff surgeries. DO THE THERAPY AS PRESCRIBED!! I don't know your age or the amount of work being done, but it's all different. Your doc and PT will be able to give you a better idea of recovery time than any of us, since they know the particulars. It's said to be the second most painful surgery out there, and I believe it. Prayers and good luck your way. j
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Surgery August 7, 100% and back to work in 16 weeks- drawing 40# longbow. Have not shot much since and slacked off on PT. Definitely keep at the PT and stretching exercises. You could make November if no complications arise. Good Luck !

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
I tore my bicep tendon and rotator cuff.   85% full thickness tear with a retraction.    Dr kept me completely imobile for 8 weeks.  Started pt at week 9. Was back to shooting 51lbs at 4 months.   It's been a year and a half.   Shoulder feels incredible.  Only problem is my other shoulder feels like crap. Listen to to your Dr. And your therapist.  Look for a therapist that deals with athletes if  possible.  The tend to be more proactive.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
I'm no doc but be careful.  Cases are certainly different.

Twice in 6 years I've had shoulder difficulty. Both times the surgeon said I could have surgery but there was a 50:50 chance rest and mild therapy would fix it. I'm pleased to inform that in both cases, after 8 and 10 months respectfully, I was on the right side of the odds.

Same advice and outcome on my left knee. No knives yet for me.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
I had rotator cuff, bone spur, bone to bone on the collar bone joint fixed as well as lot of arthritis removed last Jan.

I was on a passive motion machine 4 hours a day plus 2 hours of rehab daily from day one. With a 30 minute break between sets it took me 9 hours a day to complete rehab for the first month.

So, I am making great progress, just about pain free after 6 weeks and I decide I knew enough about rehab to push it a bit, you know, double the weights like a real man. BIG MISTAKE, I was back to square one in short order, wracked with pain to the point I had to stop rehab for two weeks and get a shot in my shoulder.

Starting over, I did exactly what they told me to in rehab and progressed nicely. I was shooting my normal poundage in 6 months

A year out my shoulder is much better than it was before surgery, it will never be 100%, gets sore if I use it much over my head. I am back to lifting the same weights as I did before surgery, shooting a bow doesn't hurt. The best thing is I can sleep on my bad shoulder side again.

My experience, as well as my friends who have had the same surgery; a year is a reasonable time frame to get over the surgery as much as you are going to.

I have been through some bad injuries in my life, broken back, wrist, and a host of other things. They were nothing compared to getting over the pain from this surgery.

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
This is one of those 'all depends' questions.  I'm six weeks out from surgery on my bow shoulder.  Had a detached bicep tendon, bone spurs, rotator cuff tear, bursa removal.  Got to take off the sling and pad that pushed my arm away from the body this week.  Have been in therapy since week one.  Range of motion is now about 80% of normal.  Dr. thinks I can try a bow in about 6 more weeks.  

If it was the 'string' shoulder, the wait would be longer since the pulling motion with the string is harder on the shoulder than holding the bow.  The key is to listen to your therapist and Dr.  They have a good guage on your condition and progress.  I'm sure everyone is reporting accurately what has happened to them.  But this is about your shoulder.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
It was a good year before I was 100%.
Shot well before that, but lighter bows. After the year I could try pulling any weight bow with no pain or fear of injury.
Working and stretching is the key. You have to work your butt off to make sure you heal totally unrestricted. When PT says you continue on your own, you damn well better.
David M. Conroy

Offline meatheadjr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
In september of 2012, I tore my AC ligament on my bow arm.  I also had significant damage to my rotator cuff and bicep and was able to hunt that same season in late december with a 54 lbs bow.  I went through 6 weeks of physical therapy. After that, I started shooting bows in the 20 lbs range and worked my back up by the end of that season.  I would say it can be done, but I am no expert.

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
BigTimber, had my right rotator cuff done in June 2013. That is my draw side. As has been stated before, the first 6 weeks in the sling will make sleeping normally a challenge. If you have a reclining lounge chair that will help alot. My surgery was on a Tuesday, was in PT on Thursday.

Be very vigilant about doing everything your phys therapist tells you, all the home workouts, push yourself in therapy, and keep a PMA. I was released early from PT when I tested at 110% of normal range of motion without pain.

If it had been on my bow holding hand, I probably could have hunted with my bow in the 2013 season. Both the surgeon and the therapist recommended against it since it was my draw side. I did, however, hunt with a firearm and there were no issues from recoil. I would definitely recommend the trip insurance, just in case.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©