3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Surgery  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rotator Cuff Surgery
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Holy smoke! I had no idea PT was so intense for this kind of thing.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
I start my PT next Thursday. Everyone I've talked to emphases the PT.. And that's what I intend to do. My surgery was on my drawing shoulder.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
Holy smoke! I had no idea PT was so intense for this kind of thing.
PT is probably 98% of recovery for rotator.
David M. Conroy

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
KSdan,

Glad you shared info on prolotherspy.  Have been researching it. Interesting and looks promising for many joint injuries.  I had never heard of it before.  

Scott

Offline 2hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
I had two tears in mine and was repaired Dec. 2014. The biggest thing as others have posted is do exactly as the DR. and PT say. I am usually hard headed about completed the full sessions but this was my drawing arm and i love archery too much to mess that up. I went to every session did at home exercises foe about 5 months and went to a 20 lb kids bow and slowly worked up to my BW which is @ 42 lbs by August and shot a round of 3D.
 Come season I couldn't carry my lone wolf climber without some pain so I didn't push it,hunted from a ladder stand. I only got to hunt Trad one afternoon and killed a small deer but was a major accomplishment for me.I could even drag it out of the woods.lol Hang in there it will be good in the long run.

Danny
You do not realize now what I am doing,but later you will understand.Book of John
Bow list just keeps on growing and growing.....

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Good stuff Scott. . . If it does not work, there are zero side affects. A guy can still go to surgery.  It is not quacky stuff as it has been developed over the past 50 years here in US by Ortho surgeons and med practices (my guy is a KU med guy here in KC).  Europe has been treating injury like this longer than us.  Many pro-athletes are starting to pick up on it.  No money in it per se- so there is no research incentive by the medical industry, other than individuals who really want to see people healed with no surgery.

I had a bad bow arm elbow fixed a few years back- 6 weeks and it was good as new.  Never a trouble again.  I had a torn shoulder treated 8 years ago, and it held me to the present year.  Now after more wear/tear and a fall- I am having both shoulders (tears, damage) treated.  Should know outcome in next 5 weeks. I may have another round for the final few % of healing. Dr. figures at my age (55) and all the past athletics and wear/tear that I may need maintenance treatment 1x/1-2years.

Its $400-500 per tx with zero side affects. Small peanuts for the possibility of healing without all the pain and effort I hear from guys doing surgery.  And frankly- there are no guarantees that surgery won't create further problems.        

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
Had mine done last december,was shooting 45# by augest.Could not afford physical therapy.Used youtube for rehab ,bought bands etc.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
Guess I'm in for it.  Surgery is scheduled for Feb. 26.  I try to keep myself in the best shape I can so I feel I'm going into this well.  

PT's big I know.  I've had the left hip replaced and back surgery not long ago.  I did the PT as prescribed.

My hunt plans for the end of the year are a great motivator.

Thanks for your replies

Offline deltakid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
Big Timber - My long head bicep tendon was totally shredded, just short of snapping, I had some tears in the Rotator Cuff, and the bursa in my left shoulder was totally screwed up.  Essentially, I had my left shoulder rebuilt, as the surgeon stated - "I got the blue plate special."  I started PT at 3 weeks, just some arms circles while it was hanging and some stretching.  When the sling came off, I was cleared for full PT, and that is the key.  I am pulling 40 pounds (the surgery was Sep 23) and I have essentially full flexibilty.   I was religious about doing my exercises at home, and that was the key according to my therapist.  I have my last PT appointment this coming Wednesday, and I will be working on the exercise that I have been given, probably for the rest of my life (I'm 69 and in reasonably decent shape).  I had very little pain from the surgery, and only sometimes during PT would the pain get to me, especially when she was trying to loosen up the muscles and tendons.  I plan on being back to my 60 lb Bighorn by August, and planning on a trip home to Colorado for deer season.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
I had my left shoulder done in the month of January when I was 50 years old. At that time my shoulder hurt 24/7. I lived with pain for years but not nearly as intense as it got. It was changing my life so surgery it was.

I went to all my PT sessions but was not good at my home work. I probably did about 25% of the homework I was told to do. However, I did  push myself with doing activities I wasn't supposed to do. I remember pulling back an old all fiberglass maybe #20s after 3 months. By 6 months I was pulling back my 45-50# bows with no problem. I am right handed and having the left shoulder fixed; I think puts less stress on it.

Never miss a PT schedule. My therapist told me that if I see God every time she would work on my shoulder stretching it, then she was doing it right    :eek:   Many tears occurred during this process.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline itry4deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
I had rotor cuff surgery after a fall at work.I was laid up 6 weeks after surgery before I started therapy.  I picked a pt that was hell bent to get me back to work in record time.After 4 weeks in constant pain I walked out of there and had a heart to heart talk with my surgeon.i then went to another pt and all was well with slow progess and a lot of ice!!Tensing shock treatment worked wounders to.Its been two years and I still work with the bands at home.good luck but take it slowwwww.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Well, today's the day. My shoulder surgery is scheduled for 11:00 A.M. this morning. I guess I will soon be deeply involved in rehab.
Sam

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I went to my pre-op doctor's visit today for this same type work. I was told that I will be in a sling for about six weeks. Physical therapy can be a real undertaking. I was told that I should be able to shoot archery again, but it is possible that my hunting weight may have to be greatly reduced. It may be some months before I can again pick up a bow. Maybe we can get together and cry in our beer together. Good luck!
Surprised by the sling period.  I have had 4 shoulder surgeries.  First time which did not go well they put me in a sling (1979).  The last three (1997, 2000, 2001) I was out of the sling the next day and was only allowed to use it for short periods.  These were done by the same Dr. that did Tom Brady's knee and Hershiser's shoulder. My shoulders and pretty much pain free and I shoot daily.  It will take a full year for total recovery but I was pretty good to go after about 6 months.   Follow the advice of others and stick with the therapy
T ZZZZ

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Has anyone tried prolozone therapy for their shoulder rather than surgery? I'd sure like to avoid what ya'll have experienced.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Good Luck Sam!  I under the knife Feb. 26th.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Scott- if you mean "prolo-therapy"  I posted about it earlier on this thread. I have known of it for 25 years.  It has worked quite well for me.

I have both shoulders tore up.  Just had prolo Feb 3. Will know full outcome in 4 weeks- though I could exercise and shoot my bow within a few days of the tx.  Already can tell that things are healing.  I may need a 2nd round in March.

If prolo does not work I can always do surgery. Prolo tx with other injuries over the years has saved me from surgery.  Had the bad elbow from shooting.  Healed it up in 6-8 weeks.  Has not been a problem for 5+ years.  A good bet.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Sam and big timber, how are you guys making out? My surgery was Feb 3rd. This past week marked the 6 week period and I was finally allowed to lift my arm out and up as if drawing back a bow. I raised my arm right up with no pain or problem, first time I was able to raise my arm up since last August. Put a smile on my face.. I have to be careful for 6 more weeks and no lifting anything heavy. Then after that 6 weeks, I can start light weight lifting to regain strength.. Hope you guys are doing well..

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Well, my surgery went far better than expected. As it turned out, the rotator cuff was not torn, but the labrum did have a small tear. Mostly, he cleaned up some ragged tissue and disconnected a tendon that was  frayed beyond repair.

Pain was almost non-existent, and rehab has not been as bad as expected. I am still going. At about 3 weeks, I began pulling a reduced weight bow. I am the exception to the rule. I am not back to normal yet, but things are going well. I expect to be able to compete in the Howard Hill classic in Alabama in June with my regular weight bows, which will be good, because I have received a brand new Shelton from Northern Mist. It is 53#, so I am holding off on it till I build up a little more strength. I was a bit surprised how much strength I lost on this very mild surgery.
For you guys who are having a more difficult recovery, stay with it. It's a lot of work, but your archery future may well depend on how successful your rehab program goes. Good luck!
Sam

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
That is fantastic, Sam. Happy it went well for you.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Same with me as with Sam.  My Rotator Cuff was not torn as indicated by the MRI but frayed.  Doc removed bone spur and clipped some bone to alieviate bone on bone or arthritis.  I feel extremely lucky.

Roy, I hope your better soon.  At least you had the surgery during the right time of the year.  You'll be rolling come hunting season.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©