3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with recurve from stands  (Read 805 times)

Offline boinky

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with recurve from stands
« on: February 12, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
This was my first season hunting with a recurve and all my hunting was done from lok on stands.

They seem to work best for me, however I am interested in finding out the pros on cons of hunting from other types of stands: ladder stands and climbing stands in particular.

Thanks!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with recurve from stands
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
The side rails on the couple of ladder stands I own can get in the way of my recurve's lower limb. I rarely use them for this reason.

Lock-ons are what I use. I have a climbing summit that hasn't been in the woods for at least 10 years.

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
I have always hunted out of lock on myself ,but now as I get older I feel much more secure hunting out of climber sit and climb and ladder stands. The only downside that I see with sit and climb is practicing placing limb over climber rail. I use summit vipers sd and switched to a hazmore net seat tied tight witch allows bar to be set low enough to get lower bow limb over, but the safety it affords is very comforting , using safety harness of course. Ladders are very convenient once they are put up, a two man job ! Hope this helps
  __---------Black Wolf 68"57#@28
             Tall Tines 60"52#@28

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
I hunt a lot from a climbing stand but it's a Loggy Bayou and has no rails to get in the way.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
You need to learn to shoot the bow canted out of stands with rails. Then the rail will not interfere with the limb.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
I hunt from a Summit Viper SD have no trouble shooting from this stand. I wear harness system it is safe allows you to lean out. The bar does not get in the way. If you set it to high it could. You have to find your comfort zone with it.

It is safe because your harnessed in going up and coming down. No problems
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
I have the SUmmit Viper climber..without rails.  Works great for bowhunting with longbow or recurve...though I rarely use it and prefer nice ladder types, lockons or just hunting from ground blinds.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
I use ladder stands almost exclusively.  If they come with the shooting rail I do not install it, its for gun hunters, not archers.

Practice out of them however to learn what technique works best for your style of shooting.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
Out of ladder I just tie the gun rail up out of the way. My climber (Viper) I have the seat all the way up on the frame and keep the 2 halves close together so when i stand up the frame is out of the way.
SWA Spyder

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
If you get a ladder stand, get one with NO siderails. The siderails are a PITA that will cost you a shot if you hunt out of them enough!

I used to be a diehard treestand hunter. I had to start hunting out of ground blinds several years back because the place I was hunting had very few trees you could put a stand in (S. Tx brush). After several years of hunting in ground blinds, I now prefer them over anything else.

Bisch

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
I hunt almost always from lock on stands. They're wide open so no issues. The only climber I have, and seldom use is a Summit Open-shot (Bushmaster). That's wide open as well. Because I prefer 60-64" bows, I would not use stands with rails.

Offline boinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks guys!  Thats what I wanted to know!!

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Same topic, different question...
What..How...Where ...
do you put your bow, to let your hands warm up, relax your arms...
The Lone Wolf stands have the "pocket" for a wheelie, but ...ideas ??
 I know that some ideas work for longbows, while others work for recurves...
 Some are good for quiver on..and some for quiver off.
There is not a right or wrong, just how 'you' do it...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
No side rails, as stated above, are best. I don't know how some people shot trad bows from stands with rails all over the place.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Paul Cousineau:
No side rails, as stated above, are best. I don't know how some people shot trad bows from stands with rails all over the place.
I deal with that by only using double ladder stands - then there is enough space the side rails are not an issue.
SWA Spyder

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
I will be using a hand climber and my M150 this year.  I hate having any restrictions.  When I get ready to shoot the last thing I want to worry about is bumping my limbs. I want to be able to shoot all around the tree so if I'm hunting on my land it will always be lockons or a hand climber. I wouldn't bother looking into other types of  stands except for ground blinds.

Back to your question about pros and cons...
A hand climber has no rails so you have maximum mobility. It's a little more work getting up a tree, but take your time and you won't break a sweat. Also, you gotta have a fairly straight tree and preferably not too many limbs to have to cut...if any.  The pros greatly outweigh the cons for me though.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »
Lock-on's work better and give more clearance, but all four of my trad kills have been from my summit climber. I've also done better with deer at least 10 yards out, any closer and the rail gets in the way.
This past season, I moved my seat up and even with the rail, then set the top of stand lower on the tree. So when I stand, I'm well over the top of rail. And it's just as comfortable.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline WhitetailHtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
I hunt out of ladder stands a lot .  I actually stand on the SEAT platform to get me out of the way of the rails, and to keep my profile tight against the tree. Also gives me more height in the tree.

I will admit that the older I get, the harder it is to stand for 3 hours or so at a crack.  But is has proven very effective.
1987 Brackenbury Drifter 60#

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Climbing sticks and lock on for me.

But learn from my mistakes!!! I had the privalidge of missing a nice buck by about six feet at a distance of fifteen yards this year.
Normally I shoot with a pretty good cant, but as I brought the bow up to shooting position the lower limb was hitting the stand tree. No biggie, just adjust the cant slightly, draw, and shoot. Right??? Wrong!!!
As I drew back, I was actually holding above the buck. I brought the bow down and turned the arrow loose. I felt a tug on my pants and watched the arrow flopping thru the air and land six feet in front of the buck. Completely baffled I replayed the shot. When I drew and let down slowly the lower limb slipped perfectly into my front pants pocket!
Lesson learned....draw right on or low and bring bow up to target. This eliminated a lot of lower limb interference problems for me when shooting down at steep angles.

Practice different cants and distances from the stand!!!
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
just get a screw in bow hanger and put it in tree so you can reach up and get your bow easily or put a bow holder on your stand within reach..

Originally posted by Billy:
Same topic, different question...
What..How...Where ...
do you put your bow, to let your hands warm up, relax your arms...
The Lone Wolf stands have the "pocket" for a wheelie, but ...ideas ??
 I know that some ideas work for longbows, while others work for recurves...
 Some are good for quiver on..and some for quiver off.
There is not a right or wrong, just how 'you' do it...
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©