3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limb selection for Elk?  (Read 645 times)

Offline TC209X50

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb selection for Elk?
« on: February 13, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
I've placed an order for a new Jordan Stalker Recurve with 40# limbs for turkey. I have a 49# that I have for another Stalker but I'm considering having another set built @ 55# for Elk. Is this a decent choice for Elk?
I know some guys go lighter and have No problems with using the 49# that I currently have. If you put it in the right spot much less could be used but I'm interested in the extra weight more for it's ability's at extending me maybe 5-8 yards or so. Any advise on selection would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jordan Stalker Recurves

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb selection for Elk?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
If you would be planning to hunt Wyoming, 50# is needed to be legal.

Your draw length enters into this also. 49# @ 26" has less force put into the arrow than 49# @ 30".

In the end, if you can easily handle 55#, then that is the best option. If you shoot 49# more accurately than 55#, wouldn't that give you the confidence you need on the longer shots?

In the end, it is what you feel is best for what you know is the truth about your shooting.

All the best,
Terry K.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:44:00 AM »
A request that begs for and will not disappoint in assuredly generating a multitude of a wide range of thoughts and experiences.

Establishing your own validly rooted personal confidence in this selection will supersede any possible recommendations I may offer.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline TC209X50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
I didn't realize Wyoming was 50#. Although that's not im my current plan it may be someday. That may make the difference. My draw weight is all based on a 28" draw.
Jordan Stalker Recurves

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I always recommend shooting the most weight you can shoot comfortably and accurately. 55 pounds would be fine if you can handle it. Like others have said, there are a lot of opinions on this subject. Good luck on your hunt. Shoot straight!
-Leonard-

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
A heavier bow isn't necessarily going to extend your range/flatten your trajectory because one tends to use a heavier arrow along with the increased poundage.  A 10 gpp arrow for example will shoot about the same out of a 50# bow(500 grains)  as it will out of a 55# bow(550 grains).

That being said, I'd opt for the heavier bow if you can handle it. Elk are big, tough critters. Can they be killed with lighter set-ups? Sure, but an extra 5# and commensurate heavier arrow can change a marginal shot into a killing one.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
If you are going to get 55# limbs for elk why not use them for turkeys too. Keeping your archery consistent(same weight for everything) is less taxing on your brain and would help with consistent shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Well, I get the sense that you would like to justify another set of limbs.  Therefore I concur.  Get another set of limbs.   :goldtooth:  

From a practical standpoint, the right arrow out of a 49# bow would be better than the wrong arrow out of a 55# bow.  Don't worry about trajectory, just become familiar with how your setup shoots.  

Don't be surprised if you find yourself so close to the elk that you can't move to draw your bow.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Shoot the heavier limbs.....at everything. From squirrels to moose. If you can handle it or work into it, there is no reason not to.

Then you don't have to concern yourself with such things.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
If you can shoot the 55# well, it will work for elk just fine!!!!

IMHO though, I would go with one of the heavier sets of limbs for turkeys and save the 40# limbs for form work. Those birds are really tough!!!

Bisch

Offline TC209X50

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
Thanks all I think I may give the 55's a try. You never can have too many bow combination as you never know what the future holds.
Jordan Stalker Recurves

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

IMHO though, I would go with one of the heavier sets of limbs for turkeys and save the 40# limbs for form work. Those birds are really tough!!!

Bisch
Ain't that the truth.  Heck, I'd be more comfortable using 40# on elk than I would on turkeys.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
40# limbs will work for elk if you're lucky enough to not hit any bone. But luck and elk hunting don't usually coincide. Plan for the worst case scenario of hitting the scapula and go with the heaviest limbs you can comfortably be accurate with. I also suggest you consider a heavy duty single bevel, 2 blade broadhead with a tanto tip that won't curl when it hits bone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©