3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: difference between a recurve and the modern longbow  (Read 422 times)

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
difference between a recurve and the modern longbow
« on: February 14, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I am sure this topic has been talked about before here but..... What if anything would I be giving up comparing a recurve and todays modern longbow? I was just wondering as I am interested in maybe trying a longbow out.

Thanks for any and all information.

Matt Beach

Re: difference between a recurve and the modern longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
It all depends on how it was made and the design. Some are hot rods, and some are dogs! There are good R/D longbows that are comparable (performance-wise) to most recurves, and there are others that are no even close!

Bisch

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
I believe the fastest recurve is probably faster than the fastest longbow.....even hybrid. Close....but those recurved tips were invented for a reason. Did I mention its close..????
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
There is a little different feel on the draw, but there are alot of different styles of modern longbows.  The really reflexed hybrid style don't seem too much different than a recurve to shoot. They're all fun.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
As said before...much depends on design and generally modern longbows are slower than recurves and then there are Dryad ACS LBX's that out perform the vast majority of recurve limbs.

Pic your fancy...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
As a rule a recurve is a tad faster then a longbow shooting the same arrow, same poundage and same draw length, But the long bow makes you look so much better.    :biglaugh:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Actually the top end R/D longbows are right there with the top recurves in performance.  It's all about feel between the two.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
I have a Toelke Whip that really zips an arrow and I really can't tell the difference with my eye between it and my Bob Lee recurve.  I am sure their is some difference, but I sure can't tell it. The Toelke really surprised me. Of course, I have to shoot a little heavier arrow out of the recurve, so that has to be included in the calculation.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
For me, it's about which one you shoot better.

I thought I really wanted a new longbow (I've had one), but after shooting some recurves and longbows back to back, I realized I liked the draw on a recurve better, and more importantly, I shot a recurve better.

That's not to say that I couldn't find a longbow I may shoot better, but the point is, don't let feet per second make your decision.  Try shooting some bows, and see what you shoot well.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Thank goodness fidelity is not required in having to choose between one type of traditional bow.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
As a person who likes both recurves and longbows, I think there is very little difference in performance between top end recurves and top end reflex deflex longbows.  There is some speed advantage to recurves.  However, there is also a higher probability of limb twist in recurves than in longbows.  Even though I know how to properly string and unstring a recurve, and always do it the way the bowyers recommend, I have had recurves develop limb twist.  Not many, but some.  I don't think it was because of anything that the bowyer or I did, but just because of the inherent differences in a natural product: wood.  One side of the limbs in some bows is stronger than the other side.  After shooting the bow many times, the limb starts to bend more and more in the direction of the weakness when it is pulled to full draw, which leads to inconsistent results and eventually can lead to a limb tip flipping over and unstringing the bow at full draw.  This can happen even though the limbs appear to be straight at brace height.  I have never heard or experienced anything like this happening with a reflex deflex longbow.

So there is a small gain in performance in a recurve, and a small additional risk of limb twist in a recurve.  You pays your money and you takes your choice.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
As mentioned above.
Shoot the one that fits your style.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
For me, a hybrid R/D is more forgiving of a particular release error that I sometimes have, it has to do with my release fingers reacting to a high gripped bow, when I accidentally heal the grip too much.   I have a very good recurve, I use a tab when I shoot it, if I get that heavy ring finger hanging on when using a thick shooting glove, that arrow will be a foot and a half off line compared to six inches with the tab on that recurve.  With a mild R/D or longbow with a low grip, I do much better.  
A local kid bought a used Bear Patriot, an area long draw straight up recurve shooter gave him crap about it.  He wanted to try a shot, but the arrows were too short for him. I told him to open up his stance, cant the bow and bend his bow arm, to not over draw the arrows.  He complied after a few practice draws.  Amazed himself, he shot it better than his recurve.  Two weeks later he bought one of his own.  I have to agree the Bear Patriot is a way better bow than I expected.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©