3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jim Broadheads  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Jim Broadheads
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:00 PM »
Guys just looking for input from those who have experience with either the big Jim 1 1/2 inch 3 blade broadheads, VPA 1 1/4 3 blade, or the grizzly instinct 3 blade. I shoot a 65#@ 28 toelke whip drawing 28. My arrow is 700 grains with 300 grain head and 62 grain insert up front(23% Foc). My only reservation is I want to switch to a 3 blade, but would like to have 1 broadhead for everything from hogs to moose and wondering if the big Jim head may be too much for my setup. My worry is not on a good shot but the not so perfect ones.

Thanks for any input, and I really appreciate all the fantastic info I have received from this site.

Dan
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jim Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
I was also wondering if those who have switched from a 2 blade to a 3 blade noticed a difference in their blood trails and penetration.

Thank you

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
I am a satisfied user of big Jim BH. I killed game from 40# pig up to 1500+#  African cape eland.
With your set up it will be effective penetration wise even on big animal.
They are extra wide and on less than perfect shot in soft tissues ( if you hit far back..) they can help a lot compared to a standard 2 blades. They are really easy to resharpen and tough. They won't penetrate ( neither the 1 1/4" VPA) heavy shoulder or pelvic bone as 2 blade strong single bevel head can do though.
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
Snuffers have enjoyed a greatly sucessful history. The Big 3 is approximately 1/32"s wider, a solid with a a higher rockwell hardness.

Have sucessfully harvested numerous critters and have experienced great blood trails with the Big 3's.Even have had a full length pass thru from sternum thru the complete body and exit the inner thigh of a whitetail. The deer laid down on the spot.

Note: the complete overall arrow design as well as shot placement is integral to the desired outcome. The length wise whitetail pass thru was shot from a 52@28 bow...arrow: 400 gns up front with a total arrow wt of 611 gns.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
I use the instincts but If I could get a 300 grain point to work on my current arrows, I definitely wouldn't pass the chance to shoot a big Jim head.  Both have killed lots of critters.

With the poundage you are using, I wouldn't hesitate to use either on any Big game in North America, I do not know enough about game from other continents to give an opinion there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
last season I shot the big 160 snuffers with 90gr adaptors (filed 10gr off 100's) and I was impressed with my setup out (560gr total arrow weight) of my 48-50# bows.

next deer season I will be shooting the big Jim 1 1/2" heads from my 53# Preditor recurve, 10 strand SBD string and heritage 250's with the 300gr head plus insert,, I'm not worried at all about penetration if I hit them behind the shoulders.
"Us vs Them"

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
Last night I shot a big sow...225 + easily.
At the sgot, she spun and I hit her In the ear hole. The bigjim head dropped her in her tracks and penetration through to the other side.
I was shooting 68 @32 but expect I probably didn't get to full draw as I was seated and twisted around.
If you hit heavy bone, not even the two blade will go.
I have shot a small buck and a doe in the front leg around the socket with an 800 g arrow out of 85 lb at 31 bow and only get about 6 incest penetration. 2 blade doubtfullywould have made the difference in your set up.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Thank you all so much I am starting over with the arrows so I am starting with 250 or 300grains on the tip.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
I've shot the Big Jim Big-3 and the VPA 1 1/4" 250 gr Terminator for the last several seasons...  Still shooting the same several heads I started with...  Bows are in 62# - 85# range with arrows in the 600 - 850 grain range...  Haven't had to pull one from a critter yet...  All have been stuck in the dirt on the other side...

Your setup will perform right on line with my results as long as you do your part...  As Jim said, big bones stop broadheads short...  Be it 2, 3, or 4 blade...  Simple physics...  But big broadheads can turn a less then ideal shot into a kill shot due to their size...  Again, simple physics...

All that being said, I haven't found a better 3 blade head on the market then the VPA (be it Big Jim's or VPA's).  Easy to sharpen, and tough as any...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
Last night I shot a big sow...225 + easily.
Congrats Jim!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
 about 6 incest penetration.  
:eek:      :scared:  

Gotta love auto correct     ;)        :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
I've had great success with the VPA 3-Blade 250 Grain 1-1/4" heads out of my Black Widow KB 53lbs @28" and I draw just a little over 27.5".... 650 Grain total weight setup... You should have plenty of power to use those effectively. That being said, I've driven an Abowyer 270 Grain Bonehead 1-1/4" Single Bevel 2-Blade through a very large bucks off-side scapula Ridge bone on a quartering away 17 yard shot... Not sure if the 3-Blader would have or not.

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
Thank you guys very helpful. I have been practicing my sharpening of 3 blade broadheads and have gotten to a point where I can get them razor sharp. I have killed many critters with a compound and the big 3 blade heads always did better on shots that were high lung and shots that were a little back. I know a poor shot is a poor shot, but wanted to use a setup that has a good margin of error with the best blood trails possible. Now i just need to see if my arrow will handle a 300grain head or 250, or if I start from scratch to get the arrow right.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
This is a busted rib of an old eland cow in the 1200# range. Ribs is in the 1/2 " thickness range on those animals

Outside view

Overall pic

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
wow hybridbow hunter was that with the big Jim head or the 1 1/4 vpa?

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
The big Jim BH.

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Amazing, what arrow weight were you using? I am thinking the 700gr range would be just the right balance of speed and momentum.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
My bow was a fedora 59-60# at my long drawlength arrow weight was in the 680 gr range. I got a pass through on an old bull in 2015 in Botswana with a high performance recurve in the low 60#. You can find some African story with plenty pics in the dark continent section searching keywords "Botswana " or for an older hunt "Magersfontein" where I used only big Jim BH

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
Here is Big Jim's pig:

Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©