3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New 'curve thoughts- predator vs bear t/d  (Read 725 times)

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
New 'curve thoughts- predator vs bear t/d
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey all,  with my busy season coming up soon,  I'll be in the market for a new recurve. Looking into either a 60" predator classic or a Bear TD A handle with #3 limbs. My draw is 29" +/- a fuzz. Anyone have experience with both?  
My thoughts on the A handle TD was longer working limb,  kinda like the BW PCH.
Thanks all
60% of the time,  it works every time

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New 'curve thoughts- predator vs bear t/d
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Thats an easy one. The Bear TD are all on back order. I heard on here anyhow.
You can get a predator in a few days.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
I have both the predator and the PCH in my stable right now. I feel like the Predator is the "starter". The PCH comes off the bench.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Good looking bow Tedd! I'm at least a few weeks, if not a month or so away from ordering,  so not in a huge rush. How do you like the grip on the predator,  I've read on here some people love it and some don't care for it.
Is it me,  or does the predator remind anyone else of a super Kodiak.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
I know a lot of folks just love the Bear TD.
I liked it's looks. I liked it's grip.I even put a new string on it.

I had the A handle with #1 limbs

I couldn't shoot it no matter what arrows I tried.

I have a fair amount of bows that I CAN shoot, so I don't know what it was about that one.

I finally traded it back to Big Jim, where I got it, at a big loss.

But hey...at least it's gone and I don't have to look at it and wonder anymore.

Just my experience...I'm probably one of the few that didn't like it.
Irv Eichorst

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
I have had a new black maple A riser with #3 limbs and a 60" Predator....both bows were close to same weight at my draw. Seriously, you can't go wrong with either and you should just get both   ;)  I like the standard grip on the Predator but Ron will shape it any way you want it...which is one difference between the two bows, you get a few custom options with the Predator.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning towards the Predator. I like the customizable options. I like the charcoal/black phenolic Hunter's Niche has on the front page of their online catalog.   How quiet has everyone been able to get the Predator?
Thanks again all

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
I had a bear T/D years ago and it was an okay recurve I think it was B50 only but just a classic recurve.  

I remember I was always seeing harvest pics in TBM with many predator recurves, I remember a lot of them was a lady named Connie Renfro,,  so I bought one before they called themselves hunters niche.  the bear recurve I had wasn't even in the same class.  me personally I'd get a predator over a bear any day,,once you learn the grip on the predator you will be deadly and  if you do get a predator then immediately get a 10strand SBD string for it.

Tedd that's a sweet looking pred,,, whats the specs?
"Us vs Them"

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
One thing that has always impressed me about the Predator recurve is how quiet they are. I have had experience with 5 different Predator's, with the heaviest being 65@28, and every one is just a thump at the shot. I just recently sold one to fund a new phenolic riser....I have always wanted one. [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Predator bows are a nice bow and worth there money can't say anything but good about them
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
I currently own both bows in LH.  My predator is the Anniversary Edition and the Bear is an A Mag with #3 Rose Oak limbs. Both are within a pound of the same draw weight and both are 60".

Both are terrific bows. The Predator has a thicker riser and grip. As others have said it is quiet. They are also very smooth drawing (I bought my son one as well). Performance-wise I don't think there is much difference, at least at my 26" draw.

I'd hate to choose between my two.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
I own my share of both, and it's tough to beat the latch system on the Bear and they do shoot really well. But, the Predators (for me) are quieter, and seem faster. I do like their grips, I have a large hand, and the fit is great. There is also a bunch of custom woods available. Give Ron or Mike a call with any questions, they're great to deal with.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
and I know this doesn't mean anything to the OP but has anyone else here actually seen Ron Pittsley shoot?   back when I thought I was pretty good I stood beside Ron and with no practice shots at all I watched him put 5 out of 5 arrows into a little white Styrofoam cup that was sitting on top of a strutting McKenzie turkey's head that was 42yds and up the hill at Denton hills practice buts maybe the year was 1998,,,,, maybe a 2 1/2" group at 42yds and confirmed with a rangefinder that those kids who used to chrono your arrows for a buck a piece had..

I heard Fred bear was a good shot at long range man I would of loved to see them both go at it right there.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
That's some good shooting. Some days I'm lucky to get a paper plate group at 20, let alone a paper cup group at 40. Sounds like the man knows what he's doing.  
For all you predator owners,  how big is the arrow shelf,  relatively large or small?  After My thread I started awhile back about constant nock high, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bouncing off the outer edge of the shelf on my Grizzly as the arrow paradoxes around. I've got wear on my leather shelf on the outer edge and I confirmed with some foot powder. Anyone ever try reshaping the shelf to make it narrower?  Also saw a YouTube fred bear  lost interview and noticed the shelf on his bow was very close to his hand and not much wider than his arrow shaft.
Thanks for the nudges everyone, next bow will be a predator. Any more pics for me to oogle over would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
On your grizzly you can use a match stick or something similar and cut it pretty short and put it under an adhesive backed rug rest and I think you will better fletch clearance.The rug rests work well if your getting a lot of contact (Its cushiony) and the match stick will give you a small raised pressure point.Put the matchstick at the deepest part of the grip.

3 Rivers has rug rests.

I don't know if you want to modify the shelf.But you could easily.

Fred Bear had his shelves cut special for him.

You might try and raise your nocking point as well.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
I had 2 predators. The grips on them were not quite the same as each other. Both shot great. The bows are fast,smooth, and quiet.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Steelhead, I did what you suggested, replaced leather with my old rug rest and put a toothpick underneath. Split finger I still get nock high,  but 3 under they fly like darts. Giving 3 under a respectable try for a few weeks,  see if I get used to it and get consistent results.
Thanks to everyone for the Predator input.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris Pharr:
Steelhead, I did what you suggested, replaced leather with my old rug rest and put a toothpick underneath. Split finger I still get nock high,  but 3 under they fly like darts. Giving 3 under a respectable try for a few weeks,  see if I get used to it and get consistent results.
Thanks to everyone for the Predator input.
that means your nocking point is too high for split.  if you brought it down, it would eventually shoot a bullet hole as well.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Both are good bows, I've shot Bear T/D's since 1971 and got a predator a few years ago. Both shoot great, same length and weight, shoot the same. My bear is my "goto" I guess because of the length of time I've shot them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©