3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shrew or thunderchild?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
shrew or thunderchild?
« on: February 15, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
Been thinking of trying a really short longbow since I've never cared too much for short recurves. The two that are on my compare list are the Shrew CH and Big Jim's Thunderchild. I've held a shrew a long time ago but haven't held a thunderchild but the grips aren't a concern for me. What I'd like input on is how would fellow tradgangers compare the two in performance, stability, and forgiveness for such short bows?
Aim small miss small

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shrew or thunderchild?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »
I've owned 2 thunderchilds and a shrew ch. both were wonderful. I only draw 27" but the 54" and 58" thunderchild were both great for me. Killed a few deer with them as well. The shrew was 56" I liked it quite a bit but the leather grip was slick for my dry rough hands. I like the beaver grips on jims bows.  I really can't say id pick one over the other because both shot well for me. And Jim could shape the grip however you'd like as I'm sure Ron or chuck could as well.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
Fans of the Shrew

Fans of the Thunderchild

Fans of both that own each

The best answer is to shoot both, then decide.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline BelegStrongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Have shot a shrew and own a thunder child.

Both are fantastic bows and I'd be happy with either one. Honestly you can't go wrong with which ever one you choose. And if you decide you don't like it, you can always sell it for a great price or trade for a different bow. Those bows go quick on the classifieds usually.
RLTW
196? Colt Trail Blazer 39#@28"
Black Widow PCHX Osage 58" 52@28.

Offline BelegStrongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:41:00 PM »
Oh and to further my point I just looked in the classifieds and a TC was listed today and has already sold. I think there was also a shrew in there as well that went quickly too.

Bottom line= both are great bows.
RLTW
196? Colt Trail Blazer 39#@28"
Black Widow PCHX Osage 58" 52@28.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
I've owned and shot them both,BOTH top notch you can't go wrong either way.I thought Jims workmanship on the TC was above and beyond along with his wood choices.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 06:03:00 AM »
I've owned and shot both.  Better add the Toelke Pika to that list, for me it far exceeds the two you mention.  Much faster then the Thunderchild and much quieter then the Shrew.

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 06:31:00 AM »
Just went through the same decision making process as you are going thru....picking a new bow is almost as much fun as shooting a new bow! I had been considering the Shrews, Thunderchild and Java Man bows. I was almost certain I was going to go with the Shrew line of bows but after Kalamazoo Expo I decided on Java Man bow, Assyrian. (Will also probably have to have a Helms Deep sometime as well)
Point is- try as many bows in the style you are thinking of as possible. Go to a few trad expo/gatherings and check out the bows there. Even making the drive to the bowyer if possible.
Enjoy your hunt for a new stick!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
I don't own either but wouldn't the difference if anything be in the grips,, shrew grips look to me like they have a much more detailed locator grip and from what I've seen of Big Jim bows he has a bigger slight oval grip.

they both should shoot the same they are technically hybrids,, very short bows with very aggressive reflex/deflex,,, its the grips that should set them apart..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
Since you are asking my opinion, I would take the Thunder Child over the 2 you mentioned.

But with That being said, the Shrew is a nice bow as well. Both Chuck and Jim's bows are nice.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
Have owned both, still have TC. Jim is an artist, his bows both beautiful and great shooters! IMHO get a TC.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
I picked up a Thunderchild when Big Jim had his Christmas sale. I never thought I would be able to shoot one,beings it was so short,but wanted to try one with all the talk on here. I have to admit that I think I'm going to shoot it better than my longer ones. It is fast, quiet, and shock free. I'm sure the Shrew is a great bow,and wish I could give you some input there.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
I don't own either but wouldn't the difference if anything be in the grips,, shrew grips look to me like they have a much more detailed locator grip and from what I've seen of Big Jim bows he has a bigger slight oval grip.

they both should shoot the same they are technically hybrids,, very short bows with very aggressive reflex/deflex,,, its the grips that should set them apart..
You do know Jim's bow grips can be had in small, medium, or large, or in between...with a little shaping as per request, don't cha?
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
I've had both and I prefer the Thunderchild.  I just bought a 56" T/C takedown and it is the quietest bow I shoot to include my Toelke Whip and Chinook.  Most of the Shrew's I have owned had a slight hand thump (not shock) but there is none with the T/C.  Hope this helps.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
I have never owned or shot a Thunderchild, however I have owned and own a half dozen different Shrews. I am guessing and according to the other comments if you like one you'll like the other one also. So like always it comes to personal preference, but either way you can't loose
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Jim can put a thumb locator on if you ask him. Also he make it what ever size you need.

BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
[/qb][/QUOTE]You do know Jim's bow grips can be had in small, medium, or large, or in between...with a little shaping as per request, don't cha? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm not bias to shrews or Big Jims both are great I'm sure but like I originally said the BIG difference is the grips,, I'm sure shrews can come with basic grips too.
"Us vs Them"

Offline JOLLYMON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
I do not want to short circuit this thread but what are the limits on draw length for these types of bows.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
Jolly , i shoot a 58" tc and draw 31 and Bigjim shoots the same length with a 32 inch draw
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Not trying to get off subject   :rolleyes:   but how does a Striker or Kanati grip feel compared to the Shrew or TC?  Just wondering because the Shrew and TC has a rather long waiting period (if you know what I mean).   :banghead:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©