3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OTC Elk Hunt (DIY)  (Read 909 times)

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
OTC Elk Hunt (DIY)
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Hey gang,

I'm starting to think very seriously about going on an elk hunt this year. I've been to S. Dakota a couple times on spot/stalk muley hunts. I'm no stranger to hiking my butt off. I'm 40 and in great shape.

I'm eager for a true die hard elk hunting experience, out, and away. And of course, like most of you, I'm blue collar and on a budget. My plan is to load up my 91 Toyota 4x4 and just go. I plan on doing 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

I believe I'm well equipped to do such a hunt, i.e. proper clothing, tent, sleeping bags, spotting scope, binos, etc. (I do need to get a good pack frame though).

Since I've started doing some research, I seem to be seeing a lot of info on unit 62 in Colorado. It looks to me though that I might potentially get ran over by a 4 wheeler or UTV! Apparently it gets hit pretty hard.

I'm looking for opinions/input on any of the states that offer over the counter (OTC) tags and what experiences (good/bad) that you guys, as trad hunters have had.

I appreciate you all!!
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: OTC Elk Hunt (DIY)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
I went to the Mt. Zirkel area 4-5 years ago on a DIY elk hunt. Camped at 10,000 feet and hunted for a week. It was a great time and I would love to do it again. That was an OTC tag......not sure if they still are. Where ever you go plan well and have a good time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Carl,

I don't have any first hand info on 62 but I have hunted mostly OTC areas in Colorado for 20 years.  Look at the map - there are a lot of zones open.   http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Maps/OTCEitherSexElkArchery.pdf

Then go to the Colorado elk harvest data  http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2014StatewideElkHarvest.pdf

By looking at both of those web sites I can see that there area a lot of hunters in 62 and the success rate is just 17% for all archers and only 20% overall - not that those numbers are necessarily drivers of your decision but should be taken into account with other info.  Personally, the number of hunters in that area is a much bigger factor than the success rate.  The area we are going to this year has similar success rates but with few hunters.

All that said, I think Colorado has the most OTC opportunities of any state out west.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
Depending where your at, Colorado looks like a Christmas tree at night with all the ATVs coming off the mountains.  Its hard to find an OTC area thats not hunted somewhat hard.  We have long ago looked forward to the hunt just for the camp get together.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
Depending where your at, Colorado looks like a Christmas tree at night with all the ATVs coming off the mountains.  Its hard to find an OTC area thats not hunted somewhat hard.  We have long ago looked forward to the hunt just for the camp get together.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
Watch out, the mountains will witch you.  They will call you back again and again.   There are OTC areas in CO where ORVs are not allowed off road.   Personally, I would leave the spotting scope home.  
ChuckC

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 09:33:00 AM »
I hunted CO OTC since the early 80's and had some great times.  If I was looking to hunt elk I would consider Idaho or WY general tag.  That's not to say you can not have a good hunt in CO but without some personal help from someone that has a decent area your chance of success will be very low.  Try to team up with someone that goes every year.
T ZZZZ

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
My Brother lives in Durango. I've never been, but maybe some day.

If you are in shape (and you need to be for Elk), basically you gotta pick a drainage with water in it when you go....then huff it in as far as you can, leaving time to hunt AND pack out (hopefully a couple trips because of the meat!) to meet your schedule.

Go later in the archery season, maybe the 2nd to last week...the crowds will be less and the weather maybe not as hot.

Again, I've never been but that's how I'd do it. My brother on the other hand, is a freak, and he just leaves early every day and hikes in and out...He'll be up there passing people that go in to hunt using atv's and have stopped "being far enough in". They won't believe him that he just hiked in that morning....day after day.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
I have hunted 62 before on horse back. beautiful country. My friend has had good success there. We did run into other hunters but really did not effect anything. Saw elk every day. My friend shot the biggest black bear I have every seen in that unit. I would not mind going again. Good Luck.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the responses guy!

I've got so much research to do!!!
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
I haven't hunted 62, but have hunted 76,79,80 DIY several times and decent success.  I would definitely opt for 2 weeks.  I would also find a buddy to go with that is like minded. You can have success on your first trip if you do your homework  and hike your rear off. Get a good frame pack and go deep. We usually split up and compare notes to see which direction is holding the most game. then focus more on that area. ATV's suck! 79 is full of them now and I wont go back. FYI I really like my OUTDOORSMAN frame pack.  JOHN
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers put out a 3-part blog post on this topic. Well written and informative on how to do a diy Elk hunt, including what to bring for gear.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
It has been many years since I hunted 62, but I'll offer a few observations.

It is essentially a long sloping plateau that is pretty much sagebrush country on the low side to the north east and then runs in a gradual slope uphill to the South West.  It's interesting because as you ascend the plateau, you observe and drive through distinct bands of vegetation.  Sage to juniper to oak brush and finally to quakies and evergreens.

It's cut by canyons from the top down.  They are not formidable but can be on the rough side.  The high point has a dirt road running pretty much the length of it.  That along with a few roads running up from the low points to the ridge make it fairly accessible.  

I'm not very familiar with the far north west end of the unit so some of this may not apply there.

You can expect a lot of ATV traffic on any and all open roads!

Unit 61 which is essentially the area over the top of the ridge to the SW of 62 has a much better reputation for elk hunting than 62.  It is also a draw unit.  It's my theory is that the elk in 62 get pushed hard and many of them head over the top into 61.

Long story short (too late for that   :biglaugh:   ) I personally would not pick 62 for my own elk hunt.  For deer it might be a good choice.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
NO UNITS ALLOW DRIVING OFF OF ROADS. ATV's don't "suck" they're for driving on roads that are too hard on a truck
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
No, but I'm referring to open ungated roads.
Monterey

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
I have never hunted elk 62, but have spent time shed hunting there.  My dad had a 1st season rifle tag in 61 3 years ago.  We saw some awesome bulls, but most where in the bottom of rugged canyons and my dad was 70 at the time, and we couldn't make our selves go down and get them. Monterey gave a pretty good description of the unit.  The road at the ridge (Uncompagre divide, road probably 40-60 miles)  is what separates 61 and 62.  It takes 11 points (years) to draw archery into 61.  I also believe that the pressure from 62 pushes lots of elk into 61.  That being said I have two friends that filled (with compounds)  in 62 last year.  There is a wilderness area in the unit that does not allow motorized vehicles in. That is where I would be.   I have the points to draw into 61, but have not had much time to scout in the last few years,  that will probably be where I spend my points.  Evey successful archery elk tag I have filled have been at least 1-3 miles away from roads. If you get good maps that show roadless areas, and pick a spot in the middle of one.  hunting in Colorado can be awesome.  Good luck
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
I hunted DIY Elk in CO for many years.

Now I'm a little older and a little smarter, so I make sure I can hire a horse packer to help me get the meat out.

Nothing like a 2 week, 10,000 foot Elk Camp.

If you have a few extra bucks, a drop camp type hunt is really nice, quite affordable,and your meat is going out on the next horse.

Something to consider when remembering how many CO bears we saw last year.
Irv Eichorst

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
The way to avoid seeing those bears is to have a bear tag.  Works for me every time.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Yes Monterey, that has been my luck.  Since bear hunting I've not seen a legal bear.  I did have the fortune of seeing a sow with 2 cubs last September at 100 yards of so.  That was one of my top ten list wildlife sightings.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
I can't remember the study, but I think I remember that most Elk tend to begin acting "normal" at about the 1 mile range away from motor vehicle disturbance. That seems to be enough distance for them to feel like that vehicle is not an immediate threat. However, my feeling is, they are likely still on alert for anything coming from that direction.

Also, 1-2 miles in will probably cover 75+% of hunter's range. Once you get past that, human disturbance drops off quick and game signs tend to pick up just as fast.

In WI, 1 mile in and you are either 1/2 mile deeper than anyone....or you've already crossed 2 other roads.    :knothead:
MT

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©