3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Profienciey test  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Profienciey test
« on: February 16, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Had to get a "bow ed course" done to hunt in Alaska.
I did the online portion and just got signed up to do the field day next Sunday. I was going to go ahead and do the profienciey test also but why in the heck am I supposed to shoot the same distances and shoot alongside the compound shooters???? They said "Shots are set up to be within ethical ranges". Some shots are over 30 yrds. My ethical range is half that!  What the heck do I do now?   :dunno:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Profienciey test
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
Find you another,I've talked to an instructor in S Tex an his profienciey for trad is 2 hrs blood trailing. It is left up the instructor.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
THAT, is the reason I am vehemently against any sort of proficiency testing.   At whose ethical ranges ?  

And does it mean I am unethical if I can't hit $#!! at 30 yards (but I don't shoot more than 15) ?

Wanna see everybody complain... let a rifle hunter set up the shot course at rifle ethical ranges.
ChuckC

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:07:00 PM »
I'll begin looking elsewhere! I wish I could find an instructor who shoots trad!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
A compound is a vertical crossbow IMHO and they have no business testing you according to compound yardage shooting a stickbow with no sights as average Joe shooter.  I mean I don't know what level you're shooting at, but most folks aren't shooting well beyond 30 on stickbows unless they compete in Field archery or Oly.  I'm sure if you practiced with the right bow you'd be fine, like a longer, heavy riser setup, but its the principle of the thing.  Screw them.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
This might not be relevant, but I think you only need a bow hunter ed for AK if you Hunt an archery only season.  

And, I agree that pro tests are BS.  You can't regulate ethics.  A hunter who is proficient out to five yards could be more ethical than one who is proficient out to forty!

The best proficiency test I ever heard of was voluntary.  Shooting at a steel silhouette with a cut out in the vitals area.  Not really a pro test, but a dandy eye opener.   :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:31:00 PM »
Proficiency testing does not test nerves in a hunting situation.  A local compound kid could never put all of his mechanics together when he had buck fever and as a result had two lost deer in two years with no tags filled.  I gave him a recurve, got him to understand what to expect and taught him what he needed to do to shoot out to 20 yards.  He shot the first adult deer that was within that range, declaring that it all happened so automatic that it seemed easy.  He would fail a 30 yard proficiency test.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
As of July 1-2016 all bowhunters hunting in Alaska will be required to have taken (and passed) an IBEP or equivalent bow hunter ed course. I practice out to 25 on a regular basis but I limit all my hunting shots to around 15. 10 is even better! Lol

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
That's why many states no not have one. Too many variables per archers ability and actual hunting situation.
Simple answer since it does not state what bow you are permitted to shoot on your license, shoot a compound for the test.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kingstaken:

Simple answer since it does not state what bow you are permitted to shoot on your license, shoot a compound for the test.
Bingo!

If they are gonna make you play the game...play...and play to win!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
I used to teach the IBEF safety course (along with Chuck C above).  As far as I know, there was never a proficiency test requirement as part of this course. Are you sure you need one to pass the course and get your hunter ed card?

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
I'd talk to your instructor about ethical shot distances with traditional equipment. If he's a reasonable and "ethical" person, I'm sure you'll be able to work out an agreeable distance solution between the two of you. As a backup, practice at 30 yds. It shouldn't be too difficult to zone in on a 30 yd target with practice. Good luck!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
The proficiency test is not required to pass the course. I was going to go ahead and do it because it is required to hunt a specific wild life refuge here in tx and I thought it may come in handy one day! I havnt seen anything in the Alaska regs that says it is required either. I just wanted to kill 2 birds with 1 arrow.

Offline Griff812

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
When I taught the class the proficiency portion of the test was to make sure you were aware of the equipment you were using and knew the limitations of that equipment.  We spent more time on the blood trailing portion of the class than we did on the proficiency portion.
Of course there can be different expectations from different instructors.  
I do know that it is required to bow hunt in Alaska.
Bob
Life is short shoot the bow!
KBA President
Wildhorse Creek Bow  62" 51#@28

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
I can't say what Alaska requires now.  I took the test many years ago using a long bow.  At that time, 2 of 3 shots had to be in the kill zone on 6 different targets at various ranges and target sizes.  Of those targets, 5 were easy.  The last one though was a moose target at 47 yards.  I had to take the test twice before I passed.  First try, I could only get one "kill" at 47 yards.

Now, this was at least 25 years ago so things may have changed but at that time, the yardages were VERY much "compound" distances NOT trad range and there was NO accommodation for other than compound equipment.

I agree that allowances for the type of equipment used should be made, but it seems it often isn't.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
When I was in AK the proficiency test was only if you were going to hunt some very specific areas. I didnt hunt those areas.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
When I did it, I believe it was 5 targets, two arrows each. You had to put 6 out of 10 arrows in the kill zone, as I recall. But that was a long time ago.

I think the furthest shot was like 27 yards. But don't quote me on that. It may have been 30. I remember thinking it was a little nerve racking for me at the time.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
PM sent, Randy!

Bisch

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
I know of another efficiency test to hunt a certain piece of state property and I heard a few of the stickbows guys for that use a compound to pass the test.

and being totally honest I am the worst shot when it comes to shooting at a circle,, 30yds at paper I'd do the same and just walk away grinning.
"Us vs Them"

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
There's nothing wrong with bowhunting proficiency testing if it makes sense for the weapon used and considers rational decision making as part of the test.  The ability to make rational decisions (such as to shoot or not shoot based on the situation) is no less important that the ability to be accurate...and they're certainly not mutually exclusive.    

Many (I hope most) traditionalists consider 30 yard hunting shots as borderline unethical (or at least reliably impractical) when hunting without bow sites or gadget enhancements.  The only way that test shot makes sense is if you have the option to pass on it...which in this case (and in every hunting situation) you do.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©