3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Profienciey test  (Read 2889 times)

Re: Profienciey test
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Effective range is all in the hands of the shooter. I have been on a couple hunts for big critters where I practiced hard for 30yds, and was ready and good enough to make the 30 yd shot if that was all I though I was going to get. I have never taken it, as it was never presented, and know in my heart (for me) I would be looking to get closer, probably to the point where a shot was no longer there.

I have seen guys that I would never question taking a 30yd shot on a critter, and I have seen others that I believe do not have the skill to hunt way up close!

Every individual has to be honest with himself when making those decisions, and act accordingly!

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
I have also known guys to use compounds to pass the test then hunt with what they pleased.  

If you do not have access and the shots are too far at the test, decline to shoot them and tell the instructor why.

He will either get it or wont. At which point you can walk away or finish based on what you feel is right.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Well I'll be danged.  Looks like John and I will have to take another class this year to get another card.  Been bowhunting for 45 years and now I need a card to do it in Alaska.

Oh well, looks like we have an instructor here in Weatherford.  I'll give him a call and see what we can set up.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »
Ridiculous...this is a free country(well,...not anymore)....just more government BS!!!!!!!!!

Funny how the "government" can proclaim these tests....but not have enough rangers to police the management areas here in GA against the poachers.  Poachers could care less about 'tests'...just like gun laws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK....I need to step off here before I start a sermon!!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 07:25:00 PM »
I take one every year for each weapon I hunt with on a federal land I hunt in Maryland.
I took the bow hunter Ed course in 2002. At the end we walked a 3D range and guessed the yardage and made the shot. It's all up to the instructor with the shooting part
I love Bow Hunting

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
A proficiency test is unacceptable.  If I'm *forced to shoot for score at known yardage I tend to shoot a lot worse and the idea that I couldn't hunt unless I "passed" would mess me up, I'd fail and several large and small game animals might still be alive today.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Mike:  If you've hunted Alaska before and you have, aren't you grandfathered in, i.e., don't need a hunter ed certificate?  And, even if you do, a shooting proficiency test isn't required as far as I know.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
Jerry,

It does not look like it.  In fact it is for both residents and nonresidents.  It looks like the IBEF course is the way to go.  It's offered everywhere and is the same as the Alaska course.

I'll post more when I've had a chance to talk with the local instructor.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Just to be clear, I havnt seen anywhere on the Ak website where it says a profienciey test is required. I just figured if go ahead and take it while I was at it just incase! Not trying to stir the pot but why doesn't the hunter ed courses for guns require a profienciey test? I spoke with jason from Weatherford and he said a "score" test wasn't needed to pass. Just the average field day stuff. Main focuse is understanding your equipment and safety. If y'all decide to take his course let me know and I'll try to take it with you. I've completed the online stuff. Just need the field day. (I think that's all he is doing)
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Randy,

just imagine that each target is a pig and you should be fine!  ;)  

I look forward to "sharing the hunt" with you through pics and text!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I find out in 3 days if I draw!   :pray:

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
I know you got drawn for your Missouri deer tag..  ;)  

You also got drawn for your swine tag in LA.  Your chances are pretty good, buddy!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Yep I talked with Jason here in Weatherford last night.  He has a class Mar 5-6 that I'm going to try and get to the field portion on the 6th.

No proficiency test for this certification.  Some special hunts even here in TX require a test however, so make sure your hunt doesn't.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Does this certificate require periodic recertification, or is it a once and done deal?
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »
The Colorado hunter safety class ends with the students shooting a .22.  They don't have to hit the target, it's all about demonstrating safe firearm handling.  I think that is more supportive of the concepts the students should be focused on.

So, it's proficiency in terms of safety rather than shooting ability.

Not sure how that concept would apply to archery?

The sad thing is that entry into hunting is becoming more and more difficult for young people due to the artificial hurdles they must overcome.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
Once you complete the class it's done. Just like hunters ed for gun hunting. But like Mike said there is a specific test for certain areas here in tx that are draw only areas. You must pass a shooting test. And must be retaken each time you draw for those areas. Each test I've read or talked to someone about is different. (Per the instructor) IT IS NOT REQUIRED TO PASS THE BOW ED COURSE!
The Ak web page concerning their bow ed course says each student must shoot 8 shots. 6 have to be in the vitals. Compound and trad shooters are held to the same standards.
But Like I said, nowhere in the regs can I find where it says you must pass a "profiency" test. Simply says you must take an approved bow ed course. Sorry if I confused anyone. Heck now I'm confused! Lol

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
It's once and done for life as long as you have the card.  I might give the proficiency test a go later in the summer when they hold it at one of the local ranges.  The instructor also mentioned a score card signed and witnessed by a shoot official as a possible for some of the proficiency tests.

But the new Alaska requirement is just the class.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Several years ago a was fortunate to be drawn for a special hunt in a large piece of state land that had not been hunted in ages and was being opened up in an effort to "thin the herd".  It was full of huge bucks.  It required taking a proficiency test at a nearby archery shop/range. You had to hit 4 of 5 circles on a regulation 5-spot target at 20 yards.  I knew there was a good chance I would probably miss more than 1 cicle.  I called my brother up, he drove down, handed me his compound and I drilled all 5 after a few practice shots.  Amazed me I could pick up a bow I had never shot, line up the peep site and be dead on in a matter of minutes.
Anyway, I ended up killing a huge 8 year old doe with my recurve at 10 yards and never felt a bit guilty about using the compund to qualify.  I knew my limits and stayed within them.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
In Alaska what I've heard is the IBEF course requires you to take a proficientsy test to pass the coarce. I took mine in Montana and there was a field day but no proficientsy test. I guess different places have different standards. I personally don't think a proficientsy test is accurate of ones ability. I've seen guys shoot a 300 60x on a paper target and cannot hit an animal in the vitals to save his life. And I've seen a guy that cannot shoot a target but you get a criter under 20 yards and that critter is dead 100% of the time.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Don't even get worked up over it. Just play the game and move on.

Shoot a compound for the test.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©