3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Profienciey test  (Read 2885 times)

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Profienciey test
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
I took my online over the weekend.  Going to Kodiak in late November but dang it, having shoulder surgery in one week.  Looks like I'll be taking the field test with a mechanical contraption.  Guess I better start looking for one to borrow.  May be July or Aug. before I'm healed up enough.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
And as far as proficiency tests, I don't necessarily agree with them but I understand why they are done in some cases

I personally think it's a nice way to counter the anti-hunting argument that we are nothing but a bunch of arrow flinging Cowboys. A tested/proven  level of proficiency is hard for the Antis to criticize. Just my opinion

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
Can I use one of them new airgun / bows for the proficiency test and then my longbow to actually hunt ?  

Now THAT is a good use for them thar things....

I don't even agree with a test to counter the anti's.  

As I said,  whose criterion are we using ?

I don't shoot beyond 15 yards or so.  My last three deer, all from the ground, no pop up, all were less than 12 yards with the closest at 5 paces.  Why on earth do I need to prove I can hit at 30 when I won't be shooting at half of that.   And why thirty and not 90 or 150 ?

It is bogus, totally dude !

You know, whenever I get to hear from them ( this is Madison.... they are here) I get to hear about how I am forcing them away from their beloved wild spaces, and how the deer all look like pin cushions.

As many of us, I hunt a lot.  I have hunted parks and such in my time and hunted and scouted them hard.  

Come fall, I very rarely saw anybody else out there, ever, and certainly not off the trail systems in place.  Heaven forbid they might get lost or step on a snake.  

I have not yet, in my entire life, seen a pincushion run by.  I have only rarely ever seen an animal with an arrow visible (that I did not just shoot) out there.  They just don't stay in like that.

No test for me unless it makes sense.

ChuckC

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
There should be no such test, period.  

But if I were designing one it would be a 3d shoot with some of the animals placed in poor shooting scenarios to test judgement.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
I spoke with a conservation officer in Ak earlier. He said as long as i had my card (from an approved course) that was all I would need. He did say a proficiency test in shooting was a part of their course in Ak. So all the fuss over nothing. (Unless I hunt a specific area that requires it) which is not in my plans anytime soon.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
I took my Alaska course nearly 30 years ago. It was only required at the time for archery specific hunts. Evidently that has changed. Not sure if I could still find my card or not! Proficiency was a required part of the course. Can't remember if I used my recurve or a wheel bow to pass.

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Alaska accepts hunter education cards from other states that offer a state-approved Basic Hunter Education course
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey
Traditional Archery Society
Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Non-Resident Hunters

All bowhunters must have a Bowhunter Education Certification Card on their person while bow hunting in all "archery only" areas of Alaska. Alaska accepts the NBEF or IBEP Certification Cards from any State/Province sponsored "bowhunter education specific" courses (not combination classes). Other state's bowhunting licenses, tags, stamps, age exemptions, etc. are not adequate to fulfill Alaska's requirements.
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
I saw that also Randy.  I emailed them with questions.  Also planning a trip this year.
Deno
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 12:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Deno:
I saw that also Randy.  I emailed them with questions.  Also planning a trip this year.
Deno
Best of luck to you!!!
The guy I spoke with was very friendly and eager to help. Keep us updated with any new info you may get.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »
I'm glad someone finally gave the right answer.  As it states, you have to have an IBEP approved bowhunter course to hunt big game anywhere in the state during ANY big game hunt starting July 1st, using archery equipment.

It used to be that only the weapon specific archery only hunts required you to be certified.

I along with many of my fellow instructors did not want this to happen, especially up here.  We as Alaskans have always taken a certain pride in being the last to cowtow to government intrusion on our rights, especially as it pertains to our hunting privileges.

On the other hand after certifying hundreds of people through this course I have only flunked 2 people, and I HATED doing that.

The longest shot you'll be making is 28 yards at a full size billy goat target, (about twice the size as a deer).  Another thing is to not pi@@ off the instructor as we all have the option to reshoot the same day at the INSTRUCTORS DISCRETION..  It used to be that you had to come back with another class.  I personally will reshoot any guys as many times as it takes if time allows.

The shots will be 14 yards, 20 yards, 10 yards from a raised platform, and the 28 yard billy shot. If you can't pass this test I'd think long and hard about coming all the way up here with just your bow.  Like it or not it is now the law,,,,it is what it is.  Give me a call if you want and I can answer any more questions.  And yes you have to shoot the same distances as the wheelie guys but this test is way under rated for them.  They call me the trad geek up here as I'm the only traditional only instructor up here to my knowledge.  Are you signed up to take the test up here??  If so there isa good chance I'll be teaching.

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 01:27:00 AM »
And yes the proficiency test is required to pass any IBEP course anywhere you take it.  It is part of the program..........and nobody gets "grandfathered in" just because you hunted here before.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 01:52:00 AM »
I took the Alaska test with a recurve and yes others used their compounds. We all passed...if you are reasonably proficient you shouldn't have a problem. It was actually much like any 3d shoot. Wishing straight shooting to you.

Online Deno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 05:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the explaination Bill
Deno
Howard Hill Big 5  65#

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »
I took an IBEP course in 1995. I don't remember shooting.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
This may have already been mentioned, but if not...

You can call the Alaska Dept of Fish and Game and get a replacement card if you've taken their course.  I don't know how far back that goes, but I took my course somewhere around 1992, and when I contacted them a couple of years ago, it took a single phone call to get a card re-issued to me.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
mgf,  it may not have been a requirement that long ago.  You know how government intrusion works,,,first you have to take a class, then they add to it as time goes on.

And Archie you are correct although I think they charge 5 bucks for that now...thx

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
You need to have an IBEF or similar bowhunter education certificate to hunt in Alaska, but that training does not require a proficiency test.  As far as I know, IBEF certification in any state does not require a proficiency test.  Some instructors might incorporate it into the instruction, but it is not a requirement for passing the test and receiving the certification.

Check out Alaska Department of Fish and Game's website.  You can take the course on line (just as you can here in Wisconsin). How does one show shooting proficiency online?

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
You need to have an IBEF or similar bowhunter education certificate to hunt in Alaska, but that training does not require a proficiency test.  As far as I know, IBEF certification in any state does not require a proficiency test.  Some instructors might incorporate it into the instruction, but it is not a requirement for passing the test and receiving the certification.

Check out Alaska Department of Fish and Game's website.  You can take the course on line (just as you can here in Wisconsin). How does one show shooting proficiency online?
Yes, you can take the course online, but you also have to do a Field Day that you have to attend in person. The Field Day that I did when I took my IBEP course included hands on treestand safety, hands on blood trailing, and actual shooting at targets.

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©