3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Florida pig huntin  (Read 947 times)

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
Florida pig huntin
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Got back from spending some time with Irv hunting pigs in Florida. Pig hunting is turning into one of my favorite things to do, just wish I could do more of it. Hunting in Florida is so cool with all the diverse habitat and critters that you see, makes every sit something to look forward to. I got to sit stands that were all unique but they all had plenty of hog sign and you cant ask for more than that in a hunt.

Like I said very variety of terrain, I sat one evening in what I consider classic old time Florida terrain, spanish moss, palmettos etc.

First time I ever hunted after dark with a light, that was an awesome experience that I'd like to do again. Had 5 coons at one time on the little bit of corn we put out and had a hog coming that grunted around me for 5 minutes before he must have smelled me and moved off.

Hunted one morning in a Palm tree nursery!!! I have seen very little pig action in the AM, in fact I got to meet Bill Langer while I was there and I think Bill said he doesnt even go in the AM because of bumping pigs in the dark and them not moving much in the AM vs eve. So I was ill prepared when a big boar walked practically under me!! Never heard a thing till I saw this black hulk walking under me. I told Irv that I think some of the set ups are actually TOO close, making it tough to shoot straight down ontop of pigs. Such was the case with this big one. 4 yards from the ladder and I had to cant the bow completely horizontal and couldnt get to full draw and think I just mad the boar mad for messin up his breakfast!!!!

Cool set up for sure, they will never see you up there in that palm tree.The boar was between that fence and the base of that ladder!! Only problem was screwing a bow holder into a palm tree was interesting to say the least, had to screw it in a long ways to get it to catch LOL
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Florida pig huntin
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Hunted a huge pasture one evening, I mean as wide open as it gets and the action was outstanding. My buddy Bart thumped one and saw a bunch more.

Nice to have a butcher with you when it comes time to bone em out  ;)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Although I've never hunter hogs in FL. with Irv, I've hunted with Irv elsewhere. You cannot find a better man in this world. Looks like a great time and congrats. I will be hunting with Irv in the future!

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
Like I said earlier I got to meet Bill Langer while I was down there and what a genuinely nice guy and ate up with hunting hogs!!! He confirmed some of my thoughts on hunting hogs, how smart and tough they are to get stickbow close on. He had set up a portable well of an established feeder. Kinda like a big buck scent checking for does, seems ALL the hogs like to do that around established feeders. Since he left for home, I was able to climb into one of his set ups and hunt one evening. I got up there grinning, great set up.

You can see the trail cutting across the power line to the feeder thats set up over there. Had pigs grunting but some storms were blowing thru right at dark and the wind bucked around and never saw a thing......no guarantees on a fair chase hunt but that set up was perfect!!!

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
Like I said the stuff you see hunting down there. While I was on the "langer" stand I saw a big bobcat!!! While sitting there I looked down the powerline and here come a sandhill crane....walks all the way up to me a proceeds to eat corn!!!!

He was a handsome fella, that bobcat crossed behind him minutes after he left....that would have been interesting if those two had met up at the same time!!!

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
I never take enough pictures when Im out and about but wanted to share some of the interesting things that you see when your able to hunt new terrain and meet great people. Irv's really got a great set up and its getting better all the time so if your thinking about heading down there I'd highly recommend it.

I'll be back for sure and will be practicing shots at and under 5 yards    :saywhat:

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
Glad you had a good time, John.

I sure enjoyed having you guys and glad you made it back all the way to MD safely thru the ice and snow storm.

Nice summary of the hunt and you really took some nice photos.

Just when I thought we had plenty of rain here, it poured us another 3/4" right after you left.

Pigs don't mind but it's a little muddy driving.

Was out tonight and had a repeat scenario...remember when that big boar walked right up to us where Bart was hunting?

I was changing feeder batteries and the same thing happened to me at a different location.
Irv Eichorst

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the story. I'm planning to head south next week and hunt with Irv a few days.

Irv: See you soon!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »
That palm tree stand is awesome looking!

Looks like y'all had a great time, and congrats to Bart on his pig!

Bisch

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 05:11:00 AM »
John,
  You just fanned the flame - headed back next month to hunt with Irv again. Like you noted, great setups and lots of hogs around. I too, love seeing the other wildlife, sights, and trying to take lots of pictures. Were the chimps sounding off from across the road while you were hunting the Nursery? Wild stuff - Tarzan movie set!
                                Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »
Todd that was another thing you dont hear everyday....those chimps were something!!! I'd love to see that place! Can you imagine someone not knowing they were over there and hearing that while sitting in your stand.....or one gets loose and comes by while your hunting......lol

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
My wife just sprung a March 2nd trip to Naples on me......wish I'd known sooner so I could've made some plans.  I'm falling in love with Florida.  Love the scenery.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
Sounds like it was a great trip.  Looking forward to our trip to Ft Stewart in a little over a week.
T ZZZZ

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
Nice photos Yohon. Makes me wish I was there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Sure enjoyed meeting your crew and breaking bread with you John!
Love that power line set!!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
I just revisited the Northernmost site where you guys hunted last year, John.

We didn't go there this year because it was a bit wet, and would not have been a pleasant tracking job nor drag out.

We had gotten more rain since Rick and Andrew from MLA shot their pigs here in early January.

While changing batteries, I was inside the fence which surrounds the feeder to keep the cows at bay.

I had just spun the feeder twice on test mode, AND...I heard the fence squeak.

A nice healthy black 125# boar came within 15 feet of me as I stood motionless next to the barrel.

He trotted across the field from the pines, with his head held proud and high, ears strait up and alert as if he owned the joint.

I watched him advance steadily, heading for his favorite opening in the barbed wire...I thought for a minute I was going to have some help finishing my feeder work.

When he finally got my wind, he trotted off to 20 yards and stopped broadside to look back, and then again at 25 yards.

CLASSIC behavior!

I had never seen a pig go through a barbed wire fence on a dead run before, but this guy was as agile as a gazelle, squeezing between the bottom wire and the next one up without so much as a wiggle in his posture.

Fun stuff!

This happened around 6PM...broad daylight.

I tried to squeeze this repair in before evening, so the site could rest and be ready.

I'm usually too busy with mid day chores to see this kind of stuff, so it was a treat.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Irv, you have to figure out a way to capitalize on this attraction that boars seem to have for you....maybe you'll have to sit under the feeder for some of the guys that want to pay a little extra......    :laughing:

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Yohon-
Where are you guys at in Florida? I have a place on Merritt Island so I was curious! Glad you had a good time as I'm learning Florida is very diverse & beautiful! Thanks.

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Kenny,

In case John doesn't see this. I'll answer if it's OK.

We hunt near Fort Pierce on the Atlantic side.

Nice Old Florida hunt locations.

Just below Vero Beach and one and a quarter hours above West Palm.
Irv Eichorst

Offline XFireman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Man this was a blast for sure! Yohon,Irv Jay all good people!!  Got to meet Bill and his buddy..   Found out about TradGang!! and looking fwd to gettn Yohon to sharpen up my trad skills!!  Great trip!  and the hams just came out of the smoker today!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©