3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: air travel with one-piece bows  (Read 547 times)

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
air travel with one-piece bows
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
I've been shooting takedown bows almost exclusively for many years. I like the mass weight in the risers, but mostly they're just easier to travel with, especially on a plane. My arrows and bow fit nicely inside a takedown shotgun case that has served me well.
   But I would like to be able to own/travel with some of the beautiful one-piece longbows and recurves that are available. My favorite bow of all-time is a rosewood Howatt Super Diablo, but I've never owned one due to the air travel issues I'd expect to encounter.
   Obviously, lots of you have traveled with one-piece bows, so how do you protect them from the baggage handlers? Any extra fees involved?
   Thanks!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: air travel with one-piece bows
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Fees (or the lack of them with Southwest unless things have changed) will be dependent on the Airline you use, you can go on the web site and find out their regulations. I suspect whichever Airline you choose will require your bow/container to be checked-on luggage. There are probably commercially made one pc. recurve carriers. In lieu of one, a proper diameter length of PVC pipe would probably suffice as well, sewer vent pipe is the lightest.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
The one time I flew with one pc bows, I made a PVC bow case, and it worked just fine. There were not any fees then, but that was in 2008.

Bisch

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
I flew to NZ with my longbow. Didn't get charged on the way out, though they were supposed to. Got nailed on the way back. It's pricey. 2 or 3 trips and you'll pay as much to bring your  custom bow with you as you did to buy it.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I take my one piece selfbow Pigger on every hunt, including those that require flying.  The short answer is, it cost an additional $75 each way or $150 per trip to fly.  My belief is Pigger leads a charmed life that permeates to those who hold her, she alays goes.  With our history of critters taken while carrying her I don't usually give it a second thought.  It is a matter is convenience and cost.  

That said, one time flying to and from a AK moose hunt I put Pigger into a fly rod case with a bunch of Sage, Simms, and Winston stickers on it and a Sage rod, tied a piece of leader with a fly to the tip of Pigger, then took her as a carry on.  Checked her with the large carry on's as you enter the plane and never had a problem.  However, the lady at the scanner in Fairbanks ran it through twice then gave me a smile while chuckling and whispering to her co-worker as she handed it to me.  Hey, I did say she lives a charmed live.  Really wouldn't recommend anybody else trying it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
Your one piece bow is considered "sporting equipment" just like skis.. No extra charges...  I've flown many times with one piece bows with never any issue.  Three rivers used to sell a nice hard case (round pvc type) with leather and it holds two bows.
Remember to go to the "oversized" luggage claim areas after you land.  Any long or crazy shaped luggage is carried by hand to the over sized area as they don't go on the conveyer...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
I have flown to Canada twice with one piece longbows...  I buy some pvc if I dont have one the right length...and a shorter one about 2 inches longer than my broadhead arrows.  I tape them together so they make one piece and wont roll around...make a handle out of duct tape as well.  Put bow in sleeve and then in case with good cushion on each end....similar for arrows.  I screw a sheetmetal screw into one cap on each pipe and glue the other in place.  This seals it tight and keeps casual looks from in pipe as the other end will seal tight with a vacuum effect...then you unscrew the sheet metal screw to relieve suction when you are ready to pull the cap and remove the contents at final destination.  I also put a piece of scotch tape and make two small alignment dots with sharpie to see if someone has removed cap that I can check quickly at baggage claim.  Always came through unscathed....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
I have a hard plastic fishing rod case which travels well and is perfect for my long bows. It is adjustable in length and holds up well to the rigors of airline travel. Straight limb bows are obviously easier to deal with then those which are heavily flexed. Check with Cabela's or Bass Pro.   :campfire:

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
I flew on Continental with a plastic fishing rod case and the baggage people cut my case to remove the lock by twisting the plastic then replaced the lock and twisted the plastic back in place. Didn't steal anything but ruined the case. Continental did replace the case without a problem.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
Sorry for the double post

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
I have one of the three rivers cases previously mentioned and it works great and never had to pay extra.  Keep in mind that airport security will open and look into a certain percentage of luggage so you have to make sure you it is accessible without damaging the case.  Its the times we live in.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
Depending on where you're headed and other logistics, I've shipped my bow in a fishing rod case via USPS prior to hunts.  It's always been my "backup" bow but has also always arrived intact and ready to go.  If you time it right, it would cost much less than the baggage fees.  Then, you could take your takedown bow in your luggage as a backup.
homebru

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
Both times I went to Colorado I mailed(USPS Priority) my bows and arrows out 2 weeks before I flew out. Bows were in PVC tubes and arrows were in plastic arrow case. They were there when I arrived.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
I fly 3-4 times a year and if you have an extra case you'll be charged. They were used to have a free service for sport equipment like ski golf etc. but since the one bag rule you are charged anyway.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the advise, everyone.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Years ago someone mentioned using a hard golf bag case that golfers fly with their golf bags in.  They stuffed their clothes, boots, etc.around the bow to pad it.  No more cost than your regular luggage at the time, just keep it under 50lbs.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
I tried the hard golf bag case, but the darn thing weighs close to 20 lbs. Naked.  Cuts down considerably on the gear you can take to stay under 50 lbs.  I have done the same thing multiple times with a long military duffle bag with my 2 piece bow in the middle of the case well surrounded with gear.  Nice lady on the way back from Montana thanked me for my service and didn't charge me for my bag.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Last time I went to Denton Hills I had my bows in a large aluminum box, It weighed 49 #s they charged me $300 one way !

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
The reason I had Dan make my Toelke Whip a 2-piece bow-bolt takedown long bow.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
I have only traveled with one piece longbows since 2000 and that includes several trips to Africa and several to the western US.  I have a set from 3Rivers Archery of pvc tubing covered with cloth, straps and zip end caps for bows and arrows. Strapped together they are treated as ONE and they can't roll. I have had no trouble and the worst is the typical conveyor belt burn to the cloth and leather.  I have always been treated with respect and they have almost always arrived on time.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©