3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flint Knapping  (Read 485 times)

Offline Griff812

• Trad Bowhunter
Flint Knapping
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
So I'm trying to find out if there are any others out there that enjoy the art of Flint Knapping.  I have just gotten into this recently and I'm really enjoying it.  My biggest problem is finding rock to use.  I live in Kansas and there is not a great source of rock here.  Most of what I have learned has been from video's on U tube.  I hope to go to OJam this year and maybe the Flint Ridge Knap-in in a year or so.  Any advice or help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Bob
Life is short shoot the bow!
KBA President
Wildhorse Creek Bow  62" 51#@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flint Knapping
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Good luck. I have tried making some stone pointed arrows but am not up for the knapping. I really do admire the work of many of the rock wizards on this site. Soon, we will expect pictures of your points.
Sam

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
My brother got my into it several years ago. I don't hold a candle to him as to quality of points but I can make a "stone bullet" as he calls them that will kill a deer if I ever manage to get a shot opportunity that I feel comfortable with. Knap virtually only obsidian and have shed a lot of my own blood in the process.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
Do a search.  Usually the topic shows up every couple months.  Lots of talent on here
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
There is a big "Knap in" this weekend in Silver Springs, Florida. I'm not a knapper but it might be interesting to check it out..Its an art and the guys that are good at it can make a tool or a point pretty quick..

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
I have seen points made from old thick glass window panes or bottles? I think you can buy chert or other suitable stone for knapping from 3Rivers

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
Do a search.  Usually the topic shows up every couple months.  Lots of talent on here
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
I have been at it for a few years. Taken one deer with one of my stone points.  You tube is a great source for instruction. There are a couple of sites you can visit for buying rock, paleo planet and primitive archer.

You can practice your percussion with toilet tanks and pressure flaking with glass but stay away from TV glass. I get most of my rock from the Flintridge knap in at the Ohio gathering. I have also gathered rock in Texas when we traveled out there.

Google knap ins in Kansas and a few may come up.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
If any knappers are privy, I have access to Rhyolite. Anyone worked it before with success? There are various grades of "flint" here in my county in NC and artifact heads can be found commonly, so I know the Native Americans could work this local stone. I have found it in grayish green and in charcoal black.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Ran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
Glass bottles are used in lieu of flint, rock or other organic materials and make beautiful arrows. They are very effective date in the field.

Offline Dan Vallo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »
Hello all. I just joined trad gang and have been  searching for posts on flintknapping,  I have been knapping for 30 yrs. And thought I'd introduce myself.
I am a Native American from Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico. I guide big hame hunts and create native art.
Good to be here.
Aim Small- Miss Small

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 06:45:00 AM »
I've been trying to teach myself flint knapping for several years.  I intend to be at OJAM picking up some pointers.  It's a great place to learn and practice.
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
Dan, welcome to the forum.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Look in the dumpster behind your local glass shop for 1/4" plate glass.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
Dan,
Welcome to the gang! Be sure to post some pics of your work in knapping so we can enjoy it.
Denny

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Griff812:
I live in Kansas and there is not a great source of rock here.
Im shooting you a PM.

Offline sandlapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Archery 360 just did an article about Jerry Garvin of Stonepoint archery. It shows some of the knapped pieces as well as some of his bows.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 12:15:00 AM »
Welcome Dan and Rex!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Griff812

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
Jim I hope you made it to OJAM.  I took my wife with me this year and had a great time.  She got her bow done by Saturday morning and was shooting.  I didn't get a chance to break any rock this year.  I did buy a few pieces of stone to work on when I got home.  Some day I hope to make it up to Ohio for the big Flint Ridge Knap In.  Be safe all!!
Bob
Life is short shoot the bow!
KBA President
Wildhorse Creek Bow  62" 51#@28

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »
Bob,
I'm glad you made it to OJAM.  It was a great event and the weather was about perfect.  I arrived Wednesday evening and left Sunday morning.   I spent quite a bit of time watching and talking to the knappers and I picked up a nice chunk of rock to practice on.
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©