3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some times arrow tuning is easy !!!  (Read 394 times)

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
Some times arrow tuning is easy !!!
« on: February 19, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
Just received a replacement bow from Bear Archery.  40# Grizzly.  Can't say enough  about the customer service.  I ordered some 600 spine GT Blems from Big Jim, gave them a black and white marble dip from the how to section on trad gang.  Two white, one black 5" shield cuts.  Awesome looking arrows.  I had planned on using 200 grain Cutthroats.  My full length (30") bare shaft with 200 grain point was showing weak, and a little nock high.  put a 125 gr on and showed barely stiff and more nock high.  Went down to the only archery shop around to get them to help me cut them down so they would fly well with the 200 grain points.  Well lets just say that I am never going to step foot in that place again.  First thing they said was my arrows are to weak, not straight enough, and that who ever painted and crested them did a terrible job.  I got out of there before they could piss me off any more.  Got home and put the 150 grains on and bare shafted as straight as I could ask for, little nock high, but dead straight.  Shot some fletched arrows through paper and got bullet holes at 6 and 15 feet.  over all weight is 430 grains.  Looks like I need to find a good 150 Grain broad head.  Wanted to thank every one on the sight who gave me advice on arrows, Bear contacts, and general knowlege.  Looking foward to turkey season.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some times arrow tuning is easy !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Magnus stingers 150
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Grizzly makes a 150  grain screw in.

I'd also look at the 145 grain Eclipse.

Lots of good choices out there.

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »
Cutthroats are going to be available in 150

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Pryor, sorry about you experience with the so called archery shop. Lots of those kind of people around. A little knowledge sometimes is worse than no knowledge at all. Any how, I use magnus buzzcuts at 145 gr and they work well. Good hard steel.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks Kill shot.  What really gets me is that I bought a new compound from them 4 years ago.  Price tag on that was almost $ 1000.  Hate it when some one "Knows" so much about something that they can't accept any conflicting information.  I found out that there is a trad shop about an hour away.  Think I am going to make the trip, and see if I can get a little help.  I have it stuck in my head that I need more arrow weight.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
It sometimes seems that a shop (not just in the archery field) criticize anything that is not bought start to finish in that location. I'm glad you found good information from our membership. Good luck with your continued efforts with this arrangement.

As an aside, it seems more and more that our basic membership have far more expertise than many of the "professional" archery shops out there. I believe that is because many of those shops have very little to do with traditional gear. Our people have been doing it for years, so naturally they have greater experience. Don't be so pissed off at those other guys, just keep in mind they simply may not know any better. Just come to Trad Gang for advice from guys who have already been there.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©