3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey broadheads  (Read 484 times)

Offline Buckwinkle

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey broadheads
« on: February 20, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Would NAP thunderheads work with a 40# recurve for gobblers?

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey broadheads
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Heck yes!

Offline Buckwinkle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
Ok because  everyone on compound forums says I need huge mechanicals, I say we trad shooters are better shots that you think!!!!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
I don't care for mechanicals with trad gear. I don't have a whole lot of experience, only 1 kill. It worked o.k., but for some reason , it did not excite me. I keep it simple by using Zwicky or Magnus 2 blade heads on all big game.
Sam

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckwinkle:
Ok because  everyone on compound forums says I need huge mechanicals, I say we trad shooters are better shots that you think!!!!!!
Yes of course we need huge mechanicals. That's why the Indians never killed any turkeys. Strangely, the 15 birds that I have killed with longbows have fallen to 2 blade broadheads llike Zwickeys, Howard Hill, Ace, and Magnus. Don't know how that could have happened.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
A Thunderhead will work, but at a 40# draw weight, I would go with a 2-blade. Turkeys are a lot tougher critters than most give them credit for!!!

Bisch

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
I agree with the idea of using two blades with a 40# bow. They're tough.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
Thunderheads could be a viable selection shooting a well designed extreme end gpp arrow at 40#'s.

Would sincerely recommend a sharp 2 blade BH, a tuned arrow and a lethal mark.

Hit the dixie cup....quickened immobilization is key in consistently harvesting gobs.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Buckwinkle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
alright guys thanks, but what exactly is the dixie cup?

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
The dixie cup is the size description used over many years to describe the approximate primary  target area on a gob.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
I think any good 2,3 or 4 blade head will do a good job. It's not the head but where you put it that's most important. I never heard of the Dixie Cup either, most folks call it the wing butt.
  But I don't agree that's the best shot on a Turkey. If you miss just a little forward or back its guts or just breast meat. Both birds will run forever and you'll never find them. My recovery rate went way up when I started taking shots through the back.
  You can set your decoys up where you can get this shot everytime, you just have to be patient and let the bird turn.

RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
I second Bisch on the toughness of a turkey. I killed my first two last season, with a 42lb Omega  that blows through whitetails and got like 6-8" of penetration on both. I was expecting a pass through at 4 yards but that just wasnt the case. BTW, i was shooting a 2 blade Zwickey Delta
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Buckwinkle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Alright thanks guys! anyone had luck without a blind? My blinds are are too small for a recurve but good size for compound or shotgun. So i'm gonna try without it.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Get yourself a guille or leafy suit, and pick your moves very carefully!!!

If you get pegged by the birds; MOVE! They will look for you every time they come thru after that if you are in the same place. Turkey hunting without a blind will probably greatly reduce your harvest percentage. if you can, find or make a big enough blind!

Bisch

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
A good sharp 2 blade would be my choice ; that being said last year i used magnus bullheads with great success 50lb bow 10 to 12 yard shots 2 dead turkeys mostly decapitated no looking for a bird ; down on the spot .

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
There may be advantages by using a three blade, especially if the arrow stays in the bird. Vitals are small and more damage. My vote goes to the Snuffer. Whatever you use, make it sharp!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
There may be advantages by using a three blade, especially if the arrow stays in the bird. Vitals are small and more damage. My vote goes to the Snuffer. Whatever you use, make it sharp!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rcoffelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »
I have had really good luck on turkeys shooting a G5 Striker Mag. So i would think a NAP thunderhead would work just fine its all about setting up your decoys and working the bird most of my shots on turkeys are between 10 and 20 yds at most
Black Widow PSA 58" 65# @28"
Robertson Puriust 64" 75# @ 28"

Offline rcoffelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I have had good luck using G5 Striker mags on gobblers so i would feel confident using a thunderhead. Turkeys are a tough bird so shot placement is most important setting your decoys up close and keep shots within 15 yds has worked well for me over the years
Black Widow PSA 58" 65# @28"
Robertson Puriust 64" 75# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©