3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Day Pack  (Read 686 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Day Pack
« on: February 20, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
My Cabela's "Whitetail Day Hunting Pack" is on its very last legs. I've tried replacing it with a fanny pack, but wasn't happy,(even had to put the Cabela's pack back into service for another year) so I'm looking to find a new day pack and am discovering there are lots of options out there. Did a search here on the forum but didn't find anything with real recent info, so I'm wondering if some of you would chime in with your day pack preferences and why you feel that way.
My use for a day pack is for food, water, and extra clothing. Don't have a hip belt on my Cabela's pack, but am thinking it might not be a bad idea to have one.
Your thoughts???
Thanks.

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Day Pack
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Bad Land packs . They are great qaulity and won't brake your bank. I understand your concerns with a fanny pack but check out their super fanny pack lots of room and tie downs for coat ect.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
x2 for Badlands packs. Tried a lot of packs and couldn't find quite the right one. Settled on Badlands daypack and haven't looked back.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I have a camel back mule that i love
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
May want to check out the alps OutdoorZ Pathfinder if you are looking for something versatile
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
I have used cabelas elite scout pack for the last three years.  It is a little big for whitetail and it collects a lot of things as the season wears on.  By the end of the year it is usually around 25 lbs with all of my extra's.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Badlands.......they have been good for me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
I started using a canvas pack made in Maine.  I've tried many packs over the past few years and I finally found this one that does everything I want,  is comfortable and a great price to boot.

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Input is appreciated! Thanks.
PM's sent with specific questions for two of you.
Any other suggestions?

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
I have been on the super cheap side, medium ALICE pack with no frame... And for shorter laps, I have my old butt pack linked to an old 2qt canteen strap. The latter is more of a possibles bag than anything else.

This coming year will likely take me to the opposit end of the spectrum, I have been looking at the full spectrum of Mystery Ranch stuff, from their assault pack to their full multi day packs.
Shootz!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
I have a badlands Diablo pack that has been an absolute life saver.  Im not sure if most consider it a "day pack" but its my go too for day hunts due to the amount of water I need to pack in to hunt goats in the mountains here. Packing 6 liters of water through steep terrain plus a saw, food and extra knife etc, the breathable frame is awesome when marching up a mountain in 80+ degree heat. And its comfy. I use an over the shoulder quiver with no problem as well.   I don't want to seem like a sales rep. But this pack really changed my ability to access different and difficult terrain.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
I really like my Eberlestock Sawed Off.  I like the layout.  It's a simple and wildly tough pack.  Plenty of room without a lot of needless frills or extras.

Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Great ideas, guys. Thanks.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 01:03:00 AM »
Packs are a personal taste.  I have tried many and find myself coming back to Sitka's day packs.  Simple.  Comfortable.  Quiet.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 01:16:00 AM »
Being a lite as possible traveler/Hunter I second the butt pack. I "borrowed" one in Nam from some Army types. It was more than enough for a day or two. So when I needed a small pack agian I bought a new surplus one. I added straps for a rain jacket. I like the fact it has a rubber interior so nothing gets wet even n downpours.

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 04:07:00 AM »
I have a Badlands Superday pack.

I really like the pack and the quality but in all honesty wish I would have purchased a pack without all of the extra storage compartments made into the waist belt.

I'm sure most other folks really like the idea but in retrospect wish I had purchased a simpler pack with a simpler padded waist belt.

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
Rancho Safari6.5 back pack,12yrs old still in excellent shape.very roomy,comfortable,all fleece and the quiver is detachitable

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Got a pic of your Cabelas pack that you have been using? I have a cabelas whitetail pack (think that is the model) that I don't use. Maybe you would be interested in replacing yours with another like it if they are the same
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scott Barr:
Packs are a personal taste.
Very true!

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »
I utilize several different packs for hunting depending on type of hunt and duration, which I will break down.
For half day hunts, scouting, etc. in known areas where I need essentials, 2 bottles water, snacks, strap on extra clothes, etc.
Red Rocks Rover sling pack, 450", 11"x8"x5", great when carrying muzzleloader or bow. OR Badlands Nano fanny pack, 650", 2 bottle holders, waist belt pouches, very comfortable.
For full day hunts or colder weather and more gear. Cabelas Scout Elite pack 1800", waist belt, expandable area, water blatter holder etc.
My Colorado elk hunting pack is a Badlands 2800 pack. This pack will carry 3 days of gear and food and also carry out a load of meat or compress down to a day pack and is very comfortable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©