3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best time of year for hogs?  (Read 393 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Best time of year for hogs?
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
Is there a best time of year to hunt hogs?

I wanna schedule a hunt with my brother and father and am curious if you guys have found a best time of the year to hunt these guys
I know they breed many times throughout the year, so wondering if you guys believe a certain time of year is better then others?
Be it for insects or day time activity or anything...

Thanks in advance
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best time of year for hogs?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
Hunting pressure can cause them to become more nocturnal.  While they are eating acorns when the oaks drop them in the fall = great eating. Then in winter-spring when they are rooting easier to spot an area that they are using and predict activity....at least out west.

Offline tree dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Sure is nice to get out of the snow in January or February .
Only hunted Texas, always came home with meat

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
At any time of the year is a good time as far as I am concerned.   :D    However there are a couple of things to consider.  Is there a season where you plan to hunt?  Where I go in Florida is private land and so no season as there is on public land. The other thing is temperature.  I don't like to hunt them if it is real hot--skeeters can be bad. I do think they seem to be a little more active in the mornings in warmer weather than when it is pretty cool.  Some of the best morning activity I have had on Florida pigs has been on a couple of May hunts I took. If you have not hunted pigs before, get ready for a fun hunt.  They are about my favorite animal to hunt--and good on the table.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
I like to hunt them in the winter when the bugs and poison ivy is down.

They are easier to see and bait a little more readily.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
Now  :)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 05:52:00 PM »
Now thru June. After that is to dang hot for me! I usually start to focus on hogs as soon as I see the acorns are gone. They really start to hit my feeders around this time of year. I've had my best success around April - June.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
I guess it depends a bit on where you would be hunting. Some states have seasons, and some do not. For us here in TX there is no season. The best times to concentrate on hog hunting is from the end of deer season (February) till May or June when it starts to get really hot down here. After it gets hot, then hunting them at night is the best. I will go pig hunting whenever i can get the chance, pretty much any time of year!

Bisch

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys we are planning to book with "Wild Things" in SC since I hear so much good about them on here just wondering what's best...we are excited
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 06:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kopper1013:
Thanks guys we are planning to book with "Wild Things" in SC since I hear so much good about them on here just wondering what's best...we are excited
You won't be disappointed.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
I'm hoping Apr 12-16 is the best...   :D

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
I like to hunt them in the winter when the bugs and poison ivy is down.

They are easier to see and bait a little more readily.

Mike
I've been to Estill many times and all throughout the year but my personal favorite time of year is winter but any time you can hunt with Andrew @ Wild Things is a great time.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
I am a new sponsor here on Tradgang located near Fort Pierce Florida. Look me up under "Irv's Hog Camp."

I hunt hogs Jan 1 thru May 1, and return to hunt again for a week to ten days in July and again in October. I refill my feeders during those two hunts so that corn spins year around.

Hunting is always good provided you rest half of your stands like I do.

It is a little warm in July and October but we generally go out later in the afternoon and hunt into the evening with a flashlight aimed at the feeder. We always have a nice ocean breeze here which helps.

Thermacells take care of all bug problems hands down, any time of year.

No license required in Florida on private land, legal to hunt at night.

Small game too in season with license.

I have 20 hunt sites on 1600 acres of private ground comprised of 9 different locations.

We hunt mostly over corn spinner feeders but I do have a little over 200 acres for spot and stalk.

Thank you for listening.

Irv
Irv Eichorst

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
Forgot to mention that Wild Things is a great place to hunt and that Andrew and Thom are very fine fellows.
Irv Eichorst

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
Have taken them every month of the year.  If given the choice, new moon week in February would be it.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Year round here in Florida! I've killed hogs every month of the year and actually prefer summer and fall. The pigs root really well in pastures in the wettest months(May-Sept) and there's far less mast and  fruit dropping so feeder hunting can be great.
Is it warm? Yes, but who hunts mid-day for hogs anyway?  :)
Morning and evening are comfortable on stand, believe it or not. Bring a thermacell for the bugs and you're all set.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©